cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At What Rate Are Dissatisfied Sellers Leaving Ebay for other Sites?

This is not a figure that ebay would release publicly, of course, but one has to wonder what percentage of dissatisfied sellers are leaving ebay and placing their items on other sites and how quickly this is occuring? Has the MASS EXODUS begun yet or is it still just a small trickle? Anyone here in the know with reasonable estimates, please weigh in...

Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

Re: At What Rate Are Dissatisfied Sellers Leaving Ebay for other Sites?

Even if more small sellers join ebay, they won't stay long when they realize that ebay is helping buyers to rip off and cheat the sellers, that the demands (60 days free return, high fees, etc.) will keep them from making a profit. I left because of such demands. If you don't follow them, your listings are given no exposure. They also want you to promote your listings (more money for them). I once sold for $70-80 each day. Last months, I sold for $117 total, about the same amount as my total ebay and PayPal fees. There is no seller support. Any time you ask for help, you get a slap in the face, and the buyer wins EVERY time.
They will remain big as a Chinese flea market, but they are of no use to us average people.
Message 151 of 195
latest reply

HI, i sort of lost you and zones issues, but everything else you said is EXACTLY right. Thanks!
Message 152 of 195
latest reply

You are truly biased and I think you are an EBay employee.
Message 153 of 195
latest reply

So i'm a buyer; have been with ebay for 17 years now. My frustration level is just out the door with these guys. I guess they are too big to fail so they think, but more and more of the stuff I get from Ebay comes in Amazon boxes. I want to leave trust me but they do have a nitch market, Pay Pal and the convienence of shopping with them is there. Just the policies and the lack of customer support is enought to drive anyone away; it was not always like that. The only way it will change is if we all start complaining in one voice. None of us want it to go away we love ebay just not what is has become. Even for us buyers its a nightmare. I buy a lot of automotive parts and general shop consumables, some of my favorite sellers have there own store fronts. My few experiences with the dispute resolution system has been horrible. So its not just the Sellers getting screwed here. 

*note

The shopping cart does not work and any attempt at telling them is met with nothing but resistance. 

Message 154 of 195
latest reply

Not Really
Message 155 of 195
latest reply

I haven't cancelled my account with ebay because I might want to buy something in the future but I sure don't think I'll be selling much there, way too many scammers that have the complete backing of ebay. Why waste my time on buyers who know they are not buyers but borrowers?  Keep the item and use it, then claim it's defective and return it at sellers' expense, no thanks!

Message 156 of 195
latest reply

I have asked this question as well as the River seems to encompass all revenues except vintage/antique?

Message 157 of 195
latest reply

Are You Sure.....

Message 158 of 195
latest reply

I'm a small seller with 100% feedback, yet everyday I wonder when I'll be screwed over by ebay and/or an irrational buyer or scammer.  It's a sad reflection on ebay's part that I'm worried.  I should be excited, but instead I'm seeking alternative sell sites.  I'm planning to stay with ebay, but only on a small scale.  I need to see ebay improve their relationship with sellers.  As a write this, of my last  six sales, three of them have zero (0) feedback.  That's 50% with 0 feedback.  I'm feeling very uncomfortable about this, but the discomfort  comes less from thinking that the buyers are scammers, than thinking that ebay won't help me.  Scammers will always exists, so ebay should be doing everything they can to discourage that type of behavior.  Scamming is up on ebay, because they know ebay does little to stop them.

Message 159 of 195
latest reply

I decided months ago to stop buying and selling on ebay after several bad experiences. I have been a seller on and off for probably 15 years ad now I don't buy or sell on ebay any longer. Paypal is a Circle J. as well so I just source what I need from Amazon and have given up on selling for good.
Message 160 of 195
latest reply

If you leave don't burn the bridge behind you.  The grass is not greener on the other side.

I see nothing wrong with eBay. I have 2 sites one for small items & 1 for larger items.

I am very happy with the results.

I sell on other sites also HOWEVER nothing beats eBay.

Message 161 of 195
latest reply

I sure am glad that our way of life changed along the way.  There is no way that I would prefer to live like I lived 15 years ago, 30 years ago or 45 years ago.

When I get too old to change then I am ready for the grave.

Color TV,  MIcrowave,  The pill, safer cars, better tires, & etc.  who would have thought in 1950 that a car could go 300,000 miles without any major problems.

Trucks 500,000 miles.   Change is a good thing,

Message 162 of 195
latest reply

You told it like it really is!!!!!

EBAY needs to post some of the complaints they received when it first started.

All this **bleep** about it doing things like it did 20 years ago is not true.  Look at the companies that have went out of business because they could not or would not change.

Montgomery wards, GC murphy, Ames, Hills, American Motors, 1000's of trucking companies, & many more businesses

Message 163 of 195
latest reply

You must be a nickel and dime seller !
Message 164 of 195
latest reply

i just read about a seller leaving ebay and believe me i couldnt be more simpathetic, but the next thing i read made me wonder. it was some one replying to that person in a negitive way saying things like go ahead and leave and they will replace you easilly. number one i cant for the life of me figure out why a conversation like this would turn into an argument.  then i couldnt help feeling like this 2nd person was absolutley taking the 1st persons leaving ebay harder and more personally than anyone should. then i thought to myself maybe he has a horse in the race. maybe lots and lots of people want to leave and he is starting to worry for some hidden reason. i know personally that as soon as i get my new web site up im out of there. ebay has been abusing me for over 4 years.

Message 165 of 195
latest reply