cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At What Rate Are Dissatisfied Sellers Leaving Ebay for other Sites?

This is not a figure that ebay would release publicly, of course, but one has to wonder what percentage of dissatisfied sellers are leaving ebay and placing their items on other sites and how quickly this is occuring? Has the MASS EXODUS begun yet or is it still just a small trickle? Anyone here in the know with reasonable estimates, please weigh in...

Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

Re: At What Rate Are Dissatisfied Sellers Leaving Ebay for other Sites?

Ebay is 'cherry picking' which items are being 'shown' based on 'their' perspective of you wanting to participate in their 'giving' Fees...'Free shipping' and ' 99 cents beginnings...
Message 136 of 195
latest reply

I for one will be leaving as soon as my 1 year store subscription is due on Oct 1St 2017.  My seller fees are approaching the point that will cause me to LOOSE MONEY monthly - In 2012 my 1099K reported to the IRS from E-bay income showed over $109,000   (ONE HUNDRED NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS)  in sales for the year of 2011, that's  over $2000 a week. My past week sales are at $0.00    I have seen a decline since 2012 - The decline started slow at first but keeps speeding up over time - As my sales have declined year after year my seller fees have gone UP AND UP and my prices DOWN AND DOWN. In 2012 I was listing an NEC NP400 Projector  for $300 to $400 but today I can't sell thjem for $99 and I have had several listed at that price for WEEKS but just can't sell them. This is a projector that retailed for $1200.00 and I can't sell them for $99 on E-bay!  I made a very  good living on E-bay for Years up until 2012. In my opinion - THE E-bay bubble is about to EXPLODE.

Message 137 of 195
latest reply

I for one will be leaving as soon as my 1 year store subscription is due on Oct 1St 2017.  My seller fees are approaching the point that will cause me to LOOSE MONEY monthly - In 2012 my 1099K reported to the IRS from E-bay income showed over $109,000   (ONE HUNDRED NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS)  in sales for the year of 2011, that's  over $2000 a week. My past week sales are at $0.00    I have seen a decline since 2012 - The decline started slow at first but keeps speeding up over time - As my sales have declined year after year my seller fees have gone UP AND UP and my prices DOWN AND DOWN. In 2012 I was listing an NEC NP400 Projector  for $300 to $400 but today I can't sell thjem for $99 and I have had several listed at that price for WEEKS but just can't sell them. This is a projector that retailed for $1200.00 and I can't sell them for $99 on E-bay!  I made a very  good living on E-bay for Years up until 2012. In my opinion - THE E-bay bubble is about to EXPLODE.

Message 138 of 195
latest reply

Ebay use to be good They suck now
Message 139 of 195
latest reply

Wait until ebay screws you And they will Then you will change your mind
Message 140 of 195
latest reply

I used to sell on eBay but i got screwed so many times from eBay that i just said screw it and got rid of the software and all my stuff and i was so broke that it caused major health problems and I **bleep** near expired!!!
Message 141 of 195
latest reply

I just wish that eBay would go back to their old ways instead of what they are now. Ebay used to be the place , not any more thats for sure...
Message 142 of 195
latest reply

Personally I cannot imagine anyone who has been selling on eBay and trying to make an income to live off of it for over 5 years could be happy. They change the interface and the rules all the time. 

We are trying to build a business and they are chipping away the blocks that we built our foundation on by changing the rules all the time.

Message 143 of 195
latest reply

EBay has forgotten that the customer comes first and that their customer is the SELLER!
Message 144 of 195
latest reply

you are so right
Message 145 of 195
latest reply

Ebay may be 'suppressing many sellers by promoting others who make more money for them, go along with their 'pet' policies, like 'Donations', Free Shipping', Auction Bidding...etc.. There is 'something going on'. no doubt.. Maybe it's 'Amazon' also..!
Message 146 of 195
latest reply

I have been selling on Ebay for over a decade. My store subscripion is up for renewal on Oct 1St and I am closing my store. Everything was great for me up until 2012, since then my sales have going down year after year to the point that if I keep my store open the $19 a month will cause me to LOOSE MONEY. In 2011 my sales where over $100,000 a year. My sales this year will be about $12,000 total and the sales are still declining every year like clockwork. I have not changed anything. I still sell the same products.  I can no longer sell on E-bay - it is just not worth it since my fees go up Year after Year as sales PLUMET. E-bay DESTROYED my nitch. I can't guarantee used projectors for 30 Days and thaqt was crammed down my throat, I can no longer afford free projector reentals to Buyers that abuse E-bay policy's. Why on earth wold anyone pay $150 for  weekend projector rental when E-bay lets them buy one from me for $100.00 and then returen it 2 weeks later and get all their money back and a free projector rental on me? GOOD LUCK E-BAY! YTou are going to need it.

Message 147 of 195
latest reply

If you were wondering what attracts people to ebay it's the variety of items listed here, but since ebay is systematically removing those sellers who are known to be the kind of sellers who have always been providing the unusual and hard to find items that ebay has built their business on, you are going to see the rate of interest dropping dramatically over the next year.

What is happening to ebay has been simply lucky for all sellers when a buyer comes to ebay and is looking for something unusual and is most likely only going to be found being listed by a very small niche seller who has a wide variety of items, now that buyer may not buy that item, (if they can even find it since ebay's search will more than likely never even allow that item to be seen by that buyer) but they may see other items (that ebay's search will show INSTEAD of what they came to get) and make other purchases while they are here.

Now once buyers start to feel that it's unlikely to find those strange and very hard to find items here on ebay but have had no problems finding them when using google search and they are showing up on other sites, well it doesn't take a genius to figure out that those buyers will stop bothering to even look here after a few times of not finding what they want.

So you can blame it on ebay or their search engine or the fact that ebay is making things unbearably difficult for small sellers to remain selling here, but it all ends up with the same results. ebay is destroying their backbone and thinks it can continue on without those items and those sellers who have made this site interesting for so many years.

Thinking that things take a very long time to change is thinking in the past, in this new age of selling and business you will see changes happen very quickly. ebay is not going to be able to simply stand there and wait around for things to pan out, there will be no panning, what will happen, just like everything has, simply look at My Space and AOL for some recent examples of how the tides have shifted and you will begin to understand that buyers have a nose for going where they can find what they want. now not everyone wants knock off Chinese junk but ebay is betting their bottom $ that we all do want that garbage. What happens when the e-packet shipping rate is removed by Trump? Making America Great Again will have to include huge import taxes on all goods from other countries as he has been saying all along. So when that happens ebay will suffer greatly especially after they have removed all of their small sellers through their targeted policy changes and rate increases, no to mention having 2 sets of rules that govern how you are evaluated. making it impossible for a small seller to overcome any defects at all. Then hitting them up with restrictions, charging them for a store that will have no benefits but you are still charged until your subscription has ended.

Just by making new policy after new policy and tightening the rope around our wallets has created a huge amount of sellers who are deciding to simply not pay their fees for the last few months and calling it quits. I know I have tried my best to get my fees as high as possible tin an attempt to try to end up leaving here with some the money they have defrauded me out of back in my pocket.

let them come after me for not paying I have been saving thousands of pages by screen shot showing all text and all examples of what ebay has done to defraud me and assisted so many buyers who have lied one after the next. I have had proof on every case and ebay refused to even look at it. I have had my terms of transactions posted in every listing that had items with shipping costs based on weight and box size if those items did not fit into Flat rate boxes. Each time there was a problem ebay had no interest in my terms I had shown, that listing was mine and not ebays if I recall correctly. They have some disclaimer that states that the listing is the sole responsibility of the seller, that means I have control over that sale not ebay, they have made sure to remove themselves from my sale but still overrule me on how I handle my sales? i think a judge will be very interested in how that works. not to mention thousands of pages of proof showing how ebay did nothing to resolve matters correctly, and how their search engine only showed my items to buyers who lived in zone 5, 6 7, or 8. making sure that i would haver to pay the maximum amount for each sale for shipping costs. But I also have proof that if my items were shown to closer buyers those buyers were known to be problem buyers who had a habit of doing returns for no reason or they were ripped people off.

I have plotted my facts on a map of the Us and shown the zones and amount of sales Both large and small item and then shown which areas had the most problem sales. funny thing is the closer area had 3 times as many problems.

zones 1-5 had 40 large items sold and had 8 problem sales where a buyer opened a SNAD case without ever making contact. that's 1/5th of all large items sold (43 small items were also sold in those zones). Compared to zones 6-8, it breaks down to zone 6=27 small items, 15 large and 1 problem. Zone 7=38 small items, 37 large items an 1 problem with 3 cancelled sales due to buyers changing their minds (cancelled items are not included in overall count of sales). Zone 8=55 small items, 54 large items, 2 problems. Now when you compare the numbers that's a whopping 106 large items sold with 5 problems that's a mere 1/21 of sales with problems but also I paid max shipping cost on 106 large sales compared to 40 that had much less cost. Just my zone 8 items alone were more than all zone 1-5 items sold 56 to 40. these number are no coincidence, this was planned this way. there's no way this happened without a plan.

These number were collected from my sales between 12/25/2016 and 9/16/2017 I would have kept on going but i have to start anew map, I had too many lines drawn to continue with an accurate count. I have the map showing the end count and positions of those sales as plotted by zip code, then I used an overlay that showed the effective zones derived from my zip code as the origin. Each zip origin with develop a new set of zones, I found that Pitney Bowes had such a map available that showed my specific zone layout with my zip entered in as the origin. With out this map i would have had a tough time knowing some of the midwestern states zones but most of my sale were squarely placed in Maine and Florida as well as throughout the new england area so I pretty much knew that this was a problem before I started checking it out.

If you think ebay's going to continue on doing business when this is how they treat their sellers I think that you might need to take a reconsider what's actually happening here right now. You also say for each that leaves they gain even more, from what source are you finding this information? I tend to disagree and at this moment there has never been a greater amount of seller s leaving this site, word has spread that selling here can and will end up costing you every penny you have if you aren't careful. You have no defense and sellers find out quickly that their money is not safe when you make a sale here. list something in hopes to make $10 but end up loosing your item and having the shipping cost x2 deducted from your bank account. If your shipping was on an old stereo and cost $45 to ship you just lost $90, the cost of supplies and possibly your stereo since they can keep it and you can't do a thing about it.

This has deterred many new sellers from even considering starting to sell here. It's very well known now, maybe not so much a year ago but the word spreads quickly and so do the buyers, once they find out they won't find what they want here they will be gone as well, ebay may have a ton of junk listed by big box stores and chinese sellers but that's the same junk they buy anywhere, no need to come to ebay and take a chance of getting ripped off when they can just go to that stores site and get an unopened and not already returned item for the same price.

Or go to AliBabba and buy that same chinese junk for half the listed price here.

Message 148 of 195
latest reply

I sell on several sites but you know what Ebay has that the others dont? BUYERS!!  You cant sell just anything (particularly used stuff) on Amazon.  Items have to be hand made BY YOU or be over 20 years old on Etsy.  Some sites are limited to ONLY specific types of items - only books, only clothes, only car parts.  Again, not nearly as many buyers as here.  You would LOVE the 20% and up some other sites charge and NO shipping discounts.  Hate the feedback? Get 3 on some other sites and you are GONE FOREVER.

I have been on Ebay since it started and have heard the "Im going to anotehr site and never selling or buying here again" about 10K times over the years.  Sure there are complaints - no buyer protection, no seller protection, buyers scam sellers, sellers rip off buyers, fees too high, selling limits, blah blah blah. 

I wouldnt say folks are selling elsewhere INSTEAD of Ebay but IN ADDITION TO Ebay.  It just has the name recognition, infrastructure, system, rules, buyers and sellers.  If you want it, its probably on Ebay.  If it ISNT on Ebay you probably dont need it.

Message 149 of 195
latest reply

I closed my ebay store today after 15 1/2 years. In the last  7 or 8 years, they have, little by little, tightened thumb screws on the sellers until, finally, they made it impossible for us to make a profit.

They forgot that the sellers are their customers, and treated us like we were employees.

There is absolutely no seller support any more. EVERY dispute is decided in favour of the buyer, even if it is clear that the buyer is lying and scamming.

For a long time, whenever I  seeked help from customer service, I was given a slap in the face and made to feel I was an idiot to even think they cared.

The final straw was that they completely buried my listings so nobody would find them, but they still charged me full listing fees and store fee. 

I find their behavior criminal. If I took somebody's money and refused to give them what they paid for, I would have the police at the door, and either go to jail or be sued.

I have now open stores on Etsy and Bonanza.  Sure, the selling is slower than ebay USED to be, but they do not take my money and refuse to show my listings.

Since my ebay sales were forced down to near 0, ANY other site can compete with that. Needless to say, I have also made my last purchase on ebay. They do not offer anything I can't get on Bonanza, Amazon, or private web stores, and I much prefer to support businesses that treat people decently.

Message 150 of 195
latest reply