cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STYLE: Modern chess sets

Hi, Ty, Alan, (since the last set of postings on Oct 1st 2007). Regarding 160163907538, looks like the seller still has a zero feedback even though someone supposedly had a winning bid. (Unless I am mistaken, a check of the winning bidder's history of items purchased since the beginning of Oct 2007 shows no such item). Hmmm. I wonder... To all, Regarding another ivory chess set recently listed by another seller and won by another buyer (250184791292), I found that set to be interesting and relatively unique. Nice geometric design. Reminds me of a few other modern sets. Seller indicates 1930's. I would estimate closer to the 1950's. Maybe a mute (moot?) point. But I am surprised at how high that set went for! Nice set that I would not have minded in my collection... but not at that price! Any comments about any aspect of this set? John, Vermont.
Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

shellamatic
Enthusiast
Hi guys, This is my first visit here and to be honest only joined because I was researching for some history to a set I am currently selling. However the more I researched, the more fascinating the whole world of chess collectors seems to be.Some of your collections are brilliant. One question that came back to me when I asked for opinions on my Northern Upright was "what size is the king?". Why is this , is big beautiful or is it something to do with the usual appendage that's linked with size? I mean the chess board.
Message 16 of 47
latest reply

ioritana
Enthusiast
I've never heard a Queen complain about the size of her King! I think what people are referring to is the size of the set which is easier to know from the size of its tallest piece. So if the King was ahem, 5 inches long - people would be able to quickly categorize that under the various standard sizes that a set was produced in (as opposed to small medium or large).
Message 17 of 47
latest reply

shellamatic
Enthusiast
Ioritana Thanks for reply. I suppose it comes down to the right size set for the chess board being employed. However it just intrigued me that although size is not everything, it seems more desirable to have a medium to large than small.
Message 18 of 47
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
Yes, shellaman, wonderful set You are offering there, hope it hits the sky and beyond - size is not everything, in chess pieces as everywhere. There is an ergonomic window somewhere bertween 3 1/2 inches and 4 1/2 inches - what is below is home play sets, travel, analysis or children's sets - on the other hand sets taller and higher than 5 " tend to be impractical - and value or interest decreases proportionally. during a past spell of mine of going for extra-large sets on ebay I found to my surprise that they went very cheap - fe these mexican pine monsters, or patio sets, or even open air sets ....also postage gets stiffer the bigger and heavier chess sets are....
Message 19 of 47
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
.. ahem... still talking about chess men of course...the ergonomic windows may be different for other affairs...
Message 20 of 47
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
re. shellamatic's wonders - Chess sets are categorized by a size scale measured on king height, as the tallest piece - probably going back to Jaques trade catalogue categories? - of Staunton 00 (60 mm) to Staunton 16 (king size 155 mm)more or less in 5 - 7 mm (1/4 inch) hops - what is below or above is out of bounds...internationally fixed FIDE tournament size is Staunton 5 (king size 87 mm or 3 3/4 inch) or Staunton 6 (king size 93 mm or 4 inch king height) ....correct me somebody if this is inexact...
Message 21 of 47
latest reply

to all i recall seeing this set in wood on occasion ... but this beast is a metal one ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260183732744&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=01... not for me ,but it will be interesting to see who bids on this.
Message 22 of 47
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
Anri Universal set, the rocket and sputnik thing - see www.Anri.com under Chess Sets - this one will be most likely cheaper than the original. Horrible board....
Message 23 of 47
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
ANRI UNIVERSUM....
Message 24 of 47
latest reply

Hi, Rascasso. Yes, I think you are right!(?) By the way, there is another thread (in case you are/were not aware) on ANRI sets, I believe. But of course, Anri sets are relatively modern sets, so there can be discussion on both threads... Guy, Thank you for bringing this set (via the link) to my attention as well as to others. I like it! John, Vermont. PS: On a side note: Rascasso, Shellamatic, and Ioritana. Regarding king size, I think it is said that a 3 3/4" king is what is used in most tournament play. Luckily, my wife does not "give a hoot" about size! She seems to hate all of my chess sets - even the kings. As in a game of chess, though, even though the (male) king is the most important(?) figure on the board, it is the Queen - and my wife - that seems to have the most power! 😉 I guess I will end right here before I dig myself deeper... (always good advice - from what you had suggested to me in that other thread, Alan...) 🙂
Message 25 of 47
latest reply

ioritana
Enthusiast
Hi Guys Yes you make an interesting point Knight. That the standard sets in tournament play has a 3 3/4 inch King. I wonder where and when this became standard in the way that the Staunton pieces are the established design because Jaques don't appear to have created a 3 3/4 inch King. Perhaps other collectors might wish to add some enlightenment on the matter.
Message 27 of 47
latest reply

Edward The FIDE rules are: Chess Pieces Material Chess pieces should be made of wood, plastic or an imitation of these materials. Height, weight, proportions The King`s height should be about 9.5 cm. The diameter of the King`s base should measure 40 to 50% of its height. The size of the other pieces should be proportionate to their height and form; other elements such as stability, aesthetic considerations etc., may also be taken into account. The weight of the pieces should be suitable for comfortable moving and stability. Form, style of pieces Recommended for use in FIDE competitions are pieces of new Staunton style. The pieces should be shaped so as to be clearly distinguishable from one another. In particular the top of the King should distinctly differ from that of the Queen. The top of the Bishop may bear a notch or be of a special colour clearly distinguishing it from that of the Pawn. Colour of the pieces The dark pieces should be brown or black, or of other dark shades of these colours. The light pieces may be white or cream, or of other light colours. The natural colour of wood (walnut, maple, etc.) may also be used for this purpose. The pieces should not be shiny and should be pleasing to the eye. Jaques never did make a 9.5 cm (3.75 inch) set, but their rivals did. Although the measurement seems only slightly larger, in practice the 9.5 cm sets feel much more substantial. Alan
Message 28 of 47
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
Ioritana etal., Please note that all these are recommendations - should be - whereas in other sections the FIDE handbooks decrees "must be". Theis leaves a large amount of liberty to tournament organizers. In US int. rated chess tournaments habitually players bring their own equipment, and set it up - resulting in a large variety of different chess pieces, boards and even clocks. In Europe normally the organisation provides all the playing equipment, which has to be approved by the chief arbiter. As for Staunton design, this was adopted as the "suggested" s tyle by FIDE as long ago as 1929 if I am not much mistaken, and continues to be....check on www.fide.com for the very subtle wording of FIDE rules.... -- Edited by rascasso at 11/21/2007 4:01 PM
Message 29 of 47
latest reply

> In Europe normally the organisation provides all the > playing equipment When I was attending the Chess School for children, we had a wonderful mix of different pieces... I think that some 50 or so different designs were all mixed together. Maybe a thousand chess sets were used over the 30 years. Although all of them were Staunton variations, it still resulted in funny sights from time to time. One could see on the same table Pawns larger than Bishops or Rooks, Kings 2 times larger than Queens et cetera. Sometimes non-matching Knight heads and bases got reassembled and it looked quite weird.
Message 30 of 47
latest reply