cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International CCI Convention, Cambridge England, June 2010

Now that the 6th Western Hemisphere meeting of CCI has reached a successufl conclusion, it is time for announcing that the next International CCI Convention, will be in Cambridge England in June 2010. If anybody reading this wants to get advance notice of the details of the meeting, email me at Lichess@aol.com. Floyd Sarisohn
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

This topic was branched from 6th Western Hemisphere CCI Meeting, May 2009
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

International CCI Convention will be June 30 to July 4, 2010 at Cambridge England. Convention being arranged by Michael Wiltshire. Floyd Sarisohn Lichess@aol.com
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Three weeks to go ... Tick ,tick, tick , tick,
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

:_|
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

It is with much sadness that I report that Long time CCI member and noted chess book author Ned Munger has passed on at age 88. Obituary should be found in New York Times on Friday, June 18,2010. Floyd Lichess@aol.com
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Floyd, I am so sorry to hear about Ned's death. Please share our condolences with his family. Although I found him to be a very educated and accomplished man, I believe he was also a very "down to earth", humble, generous, and kind individual. I admired him. John.
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Floyd, I never had the pleasure of meeting Ned, but as John state's he was much admired.
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Good luck, have fun, and have a good ole time in Cambridge, my chess friends! A Toast to all of you! "Cheers"! John, Vt.
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

John, Just arrived in Cambridge and helped to put together the display of chess sets - I will take some photo's and post them on the CCI magazine website. I will remember you when I'm drinking my wine at the reception tonight. Cheers Jim
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

I would like to wish eveyone who is "presenting" good fortune and a good reception from CCI members present.The only advice I could proffer is to speak clearly, with confidence and to find a friendly face in the audience to focus on.If, after several minutes of searching you are unable to locate a friendly face it may be best to feign a sudden debilitating illness ;-) Seriously, best wishes to all. Mick
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Picture this scenario: Early in the morn' of a foggy, cool 42 degrees F summer "TGIF" day... the sun about to come up... a small-time chess collector about to hit the roads to bring home the bacon... twiddling my thumbs in anxious anticipation of what I'd rather be doing.... which is hearing all the details - from various perspectives - of how the CCI event in Cambridge has been evolving.... Argh! Tell me, tell me! PLEASE! John.
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

John I am in Heathrow en route to China, unfortunately missing the rest of the meeting. The first day was brilliant. Very interesting talks: Jim gave an outstanding account of In Statu Quo Sets; William Hartston was hilarious showing us how he was able to balance a whole set on just one rook; the Curator of a games museum near Montreux gave a fascinating talk about an Cambridge academic who invented some new games; Yuri Averbach entertained us with some endgame studies etc. I met some very interesting and friendly CCI members whom I knew just by name. Guy was behaving himself and not shooting silver bullets at zombies. It seemed everyone was having a good time being shown around Cambridge etc and generally schmoozing. Alan
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Alan. Ahhhh, "schmoozing" - nothing like it! Thanks for the details; I love the details. Sounded interesting.. China, eh? While in China (I assume the mainland), if you run into any exquisite(?) chess sets, let me know first - right here in private, ok? In addition, if by chance you run into Tangxin2160, please say "Ni hao" (wink!) for me! In all seriousness though, thanks again for the CCI Cambridge update. John.
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Hi All, Just got back from Cambridge. Excellent meeting! I now have to write up my review for the magazine, but here are a few snippets: 2nd day talks were great. The best being Jon Crumiller who showed members his 2 research projects. George Dean showed film clips of some of his wonderfull sets that have been done for a TV documentary. The sightseeing around the Cambridge colleges and punting on the river were both interesting & relaxing. The food, especially the Gala dinner, was excellent. There was a chess market and Yuri Averbach (88 year old Russian Grandmaster) gave a simultaneous display of chess. You will have to wait for the magazine for full details and pictures. Cheers Jim ps. Guy realy did behave himself! Well done chesspurr
Message 15 of 24
latest reply