cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chat

I am curious... why the closure of chat 2? And where is Kristjan? :( John, Vermont. -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 11/04/2007 2:18 AM -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 11/04/2007 6:04 AM
Message 1 of 1,410
latest reply
1,409 REPLIES 1,409

Re: Chat

Yes Dan,

Sorry to spook you like that. I don't think the copy is meant to pass for the real set at all. (Though I'll admit having seen the painted version and plain version of a Franklin mint porcelain set before when I bought the copy I thought I might be buying a painted version of the original.) I don't like the colors either, one of the reasons I went for the real set. It's not so much that they're garish or too bright for me (and they do look oddly better in real life than any of my photos) but that there are too many different ones on each side. I like sets where you can more easily tell the pieces apart one side vs the other. I will make a "comparison" article and possibly post here or somewhere since I find myself with both of the sets. In case someone does paint the English vs Scottish set straight black and white and sell the pieces individually confusing anyone there are some differences besides height, material, marks on bottom as well. There are holes under the arms of both Queens on the original and no such holes in the copy as the copy is made with 1-piece glove molds so they'd be impossible. There are many other places where there's a texture or a line on a hem in one set and not the other. It'll be a pretty rare occasion when anyone might get confused, though. They're pretty different. I didn't manage to get the box. Some of my pieces have the stopper driven into them, most are cork, and one appears to be rubber. One of my pawns has a paper seal on the bottom broken into, the others completely pealed off, so I think it was a "piece meal" set constructed from the singletons or the sets with one piece and one pawn together and never matched with a box.

And season's greetings to you too, John. (also you'll note that "holiday" means "holy day" which doesn't really jive with an atheist greeting. 😛 ... not that it's possible to please everyone with attempts to be PC or that I was offended... I am merely attempting to give you a hard time.)

Message 1396 of 1,410
latest reply

Hiya, Ty.

Regarding: "And season's greetings to you too, John. (also you'll note that "holiday" means "holy day" which doesn't really jive with an atheist greeting. 😛 ... not that it's possible to please everyone with attempts to be PC or that I was offended... I am merely attempting to give you a hard time.)"...

I'll take even negative attention (giving me a supposedly difficult time) almost anytime (It's better than no attention, as it can be said...) 🙂

As to your posted pictures of the porcelain set, which you recently posted, along with some comments... here is what I think:

1.) Although I tend to not be too crazy (or even like) porcelain sets for a number of reasons, I like that one with the jester on (what I ass-ume) is a donkey! I have never seen such a combo for a chess piece. I think that is a great theme onto itself...!

2.) I could probably live with one of the Lladro(?) sets, such as http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lladro-Medieval-Chess-Set-PIECES-NIB-6333-Made-Spain-Porcelain-Chess-Pieces-...

3.) I would even accept a porcelain one (even a modern day replica, which I could not currently find on ebay), namely the Communists vs. Capitalists. But here is a link to a non-ebay website: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16862/lot/98/

4.) I'd have to look closely in both my unpacked boxes as well as my displayed sets to see if I even have one porcelain set. Oh.... yes.... the ceramic Old Crow Set. I actually like that one, despite the drought of whiskey within their ceramic cylindrical walls....!

Well, enough said for now. I am well over my recently self-allotted time and space!

John, Wintering in Vermont.  

Message 1397 of 1,410
latest reply

Is that a Christmas list, John?

I remember the newsletter about porcelain sets "any self-respecting chess collection has several," which raised a lot of eyebrows as certainly not everyone collects them or wants to. I didn't have any in my collection at that time. Now, all of a sudden, I have several, though I'm not sure if any were the ones in that newsletter... lets see... oh, I have the Lladro queen... not the one you pointed at above, the other one. I wouldn't want a whole set of those either. She's huge, and I'm having space problems just now. I have gone a little nuts with the porcelain sets lately. I have to say I don't like the other Lladro set at all or the Old Crow decanters. The ceramic "heads" just don't agree with me... personal taste...

However if we're listing porcelain sets we wouldn't mind owning you may have missed one: http://www.crystalclassics.com/wedgwood/bentley/5wb0000005.htm (though I'm not a huge fan of the new black color.)

So does anyone know how one would go about using this kind of set: 380540574987 http://www.ebay.com/itm/DESIGNER-Blue-Stone-Base-3-D-Round-Metal-Pawns-Greek-Chess-Set-/380540574987... ? I have enough trouble figuring out diagonals across the center on three player and hex chess and stuff... here the black squares, and the white squares, they don't even... arg...

Ty

Message 1398 of 1,410
latest reply

May I suggest to all - that you first read my latest posted message on the "Attention" Good Buys? Thread..... B-4 😉 continuing to read this posted message right here? It may give a clue as to what prompted my writing of this posted message right here...

So, this is how this story goes:

It was Xmas time at my household, and family members from far away were visiting. This included my 30 year old son and his new (his first and only) wife. In the discussion of Xmas gifts, I suggested to him (in my usual, very tactful and subtle way.... like a bull in a porcelain shop) that for a belated Xmas present, he might want to get me one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chess-Game-Poster-F-Beda-37-x-26-/150884242531?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item232166...

It is rather inexpensive, and I am sure he can afford it. But I suspect he is pretty busy these days with (seriously) more important things in life and at work. I had damaged a duplicate of this print during my packing and relatively recent moving to our new abode, but that is a story for another time. (promises, promises, eh, Duncan d-baron?) 😉

He promised to buy it for me - as a belated Xmas present, but I have yet to receive it. (I am wondering if this delay may well be in retaliation for the long-gone Transformer toys original boxes. (If you don't understand what I am talking about, go back and review my recently posted message on the "Attention: Good Buys" thread...)

So, now, I am about to email him... telling him of the "penalty" he will have to suffer for not following through on a timely Xmas gift. I NOW expect the package to include one of the following, which will certainly fill in with the outside real-life "decor".

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-21562180350918_2246_341659318   

Any one want to place any bets on whether I will receive either?

So.... that's my story... and I am stickin' to it...! Ok, back into my Feverish Cabin.... will Spring 2013 ever arrive?

Still Suffering from Cabin Fever in Vermont. John. P.S. BTW, if any of you are still awaiting the holiday gifts I sent you each of you, just blame it on the delivery guy in the red suit... 😉

Message 1399 of 1,410
latest reply

Nothing particularly much, just updated my site again:

The Chessbots: http://www.tykroll.com/chess/chessbot.html which I already posted about the the "good buys" thread. The page is a bit more polished now than when I shared it early on that thread.

and the Cmielow Set: http://www.tykroll.com/chess/cmielow.html

I didn't write much about it because I'm pretty well in the dark. Does anyone know when it was made, how old one likely is? I figure all this info is out there but it's probably in Polish.

I got two fairly high-end porcelain sets that I'd wanted for years around the same time a few months back.

One was the Franklin Mint Great Crusaders set... absolutely stunning, but kind of a bad design... weak feet on heavy pieces, broken in transit, and broken and glued in several places before it was sold. That led to a drawn out process by which I eventually got my money back after losing a lot of sleep. I am still interested in that set and would like to have one some day, but I'll be much more careful how I buy it next time. That set one of the most  fragile I've ever seen and requires special care. It's the kind of set that will go straight into my display case, not one I'll touch very often if I do even take another shot at getting one later.

The other was this Cmielow set. It was well-packaged and the pieces seem very well designed as well. The porcelain is light and strong. I will put this set behind glass when I figure out where I can put another display case or shuffle what I've got only because it's so lovely, but I do think even being porcelain this set can be played with. The pieces have a good "feel" to them and I think can be handled as one would handle dishes. Yes, they'll break as easy as dishes, but no easier and the fear of breakage doesn't stop me using my plates and cups. Anyway I love the set.

I can also now say for sure my oddball 'amber' set is a copy of Cmielow. http://www.tykroll.com/chess/amber.html The sizes of the pieces indicate a literal copy and even the copy board/box contains elements both the Cmielow box and board.

Ty

Message 1400 of 1,410
latest reply

Well, Ty...

Firstly, I have no answer to your question which you posed to all in your previous message in this thread. Sorry 'bout that. But thanks again for your Chessbots links, your creative website story, your assistance, and of course your recent email - to which I will respond later today; I am still getting used to a new Com Poo Ter which my wife chose / bought yesterday. (So, my other eBay and Internet cyber friends.... beware, as your brief respite from my longwinded emails is about to come to an end. I hope your rest was a good one!) 😉 

So, let's talk about eBay (and maybe even this group) in general. Ok? 

A.) I had just noticed that the eBay gods had recently sent me (and all of you too, undoubtedly) a message about an upgrade or changing of their policy about several things. I have not read it in detail yet, but just browsed their brief introductory statements.

Now, I realize that eBay promotes the use of Paypal. But does anyone know if they now absolutely prohibit payment via USPS Money Order (even if the seller would be willing to accept a USPS Money Order, as perhaps indicated by a seller via email?)

B.) I just noticed that - depending on which place I click onto my data info (e.g. my silhouette avatar or my eBay name, etc.,) that the eBay god system has me down as joining this group at different years. (e.g. in one, it says 2010, in another, it says 2014.) Is there something wrong or screwy with the eBay system (aside from their normal screwy tendencies? Geeze! They make me look normal...! ) 😉

"For the record" (though I doubt, understandably, that anyone would care), today, March 11, marks the beginning  of my 7th year with this eBay Chess Collectors Group. Hmmm. "Time flies when your having fun, eh?"

C.) A few days ago, while gallivanting in the hinterlands of nearby New Hampshire, I found a small, ivory, antique chess set at a semi-decent price. THANK GOODNESS there is something other than eBay to go searching! I think I am lucky to be living in New England (and I hear others say the same thing via email every now and then.) Then again, folks like Ty bring to our attention other places (Esty) where interesting chess sets can be found. So, maybe there is hope. Yes, Life does exist outside eBay, eh? 😉 

Speaking of chess sets, and in the spirit of digression and looseness of association, did you, the reader, know that at CCI meetings/conventions, (whether they are the International ones or the "local" ones - such as the upcoming one in Baltimore, Maryland), there is a "Chess Fair" where CCI members can rent a table and sell (or buy, of course) chess sets from other members!?) Yes, it is true.... and sometimes, great deals can be made and great chess sets can be found!) Can never have enough chess sets and related items, right? (Good thing that I am going to take all of my collection to my grave; I will have a multi-tiered coffin. You know.... like bunk bed system. Ah, gotta luv it...!) 😉

Ok, enough gabbing from me (for the moment). YOUR (the reader's) turn...! (And yes, of course.... I will hold my breath...!)

Almost made it through another Vermont Winter..... John.     

Message 1401 of 1,410
latest reply

Hi John,

I just had to reply to your post. I could not bear to think of you staring for hours at your new computer screen waiting for the "ping" of a new post or an e-mail.

7 years in this group! Some say it seems longer, especially when we are reading your lengthy posts.;-)

I think you are absolutely right - You can never have enough chess sets. although my wife disagrees!

Clicking around on ebay looking at joining dates! You have too much time on your hands my friend. I have plenty of decorating to do here if you want to lend a hand.

Jim

Message 1402 of 1,410
latest reply

Thoughts on: 151016863630

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151016863630

Pieces look like Anglo Chinese ivory chessmen (ie something like http://www.crumiller.com/chess/chess_pages/asian/CantoneseSmallIvorySet.htm ) but not as detailed and not ivory. I've never seen Italian sets or anything but Chinese sets with pieces in these exact shapes. It would seem to me more likely this set was a copy of the ivory sets than the other way around, unless others have seen more early Italian pieces with these profiles.

Felts would suggest late 19th century at the earliest and I would think well into the 20th century since the pieces don't appear to be weighted so they wouldn't be felted until it became common practice just to stick felts on everything, unless maybe they are 18th century and someone added the felts in the 20th century.

Gilding up close looks more like gold paint to me than gold leaf. I would think if it were gold leaf with that detail they would have stayed inside the lines better, if nothing else, though I haven't seen a lot of gold leaf, maybe someone who knows more about it can comment. I have seen my share of gold paint and this doesn't look different to me. There aught to be an easy test for this? But I imagine it might require scratching at some of the gold.

But the seller is, I think?, a fairly reputable chess seller at least as far as eBay goes so I don't want to scream fake and post in warning misdesribed sets or anything unless maybe everyone agrees. Anyway maybe something to think about before spending 35 hundred if you're one to spend that much on a chess set, which I am not so maybe I'm not qualified to comment on such high-end sets.

Ty

Message 1403 of 1,410
latest reply

Wow, Jim and Ty....

"Two for the price of one". Do you mean I get to respond to both of you in just one posting? Well, I could make it separate postings, but then that might just place all of you asleep twice as fast. (or something to that effect). Heck if even I know what I am talking about. My older sister does not like it when I put myself down and poke fun at myself. She says that it is very "unbecoming". But another good friend chess collector recently told me that it tends to be folks, who are comfortable with their own skins, that are able to handle the self kidding and ridicule (paraphrasing a tad there.) In other words, looking at it another way: It is probably folks who tend not to be able to handle criticism and have a difficult time poking fun at themselves (but perhaps a very easy time to criticize others) who are not, frankly, all as mature as they might want to portray themselves or think of themselves. Ah, just where is Freud when one needs him?

Now, having said all that, let me focus on the main issue or question at hand. I am extending this conversation here, my good friend Jim (so as to not disappoint you! Let me remind you that - despite the busiest year of my life, for a number of reasons-  winters are very long here, and the overall population of Vermont is as scarce as finding molasses running downhill in the middle of winter...we still have at least two feet of snow on the ground! - so I seem to ALWAYS have enough time to chat (with almost anyone!) But I digress and am turning any remaining attention to responding to Ty's question, comments, speculation, etc. Now, I cannot believe I actually may have something of substance to add to this conversation about that linked ebay chess set...! But I DO.

....namely, "151016863630  http://www.ebay.com/itm/151016863630 " (the topic of which was brought up by Ty.

Now, this story I am about to tell (and as best as my aging mind can recall) is 100% true, with no embellishment, exaggeration, or intentional misleading.

I once had the duplicate of that set, (minus the interesting boxboard.) I liked it, but I was hungry for money (to spend at the Western Hemisphere CCI Meeting in Princeton, New Jersey, a few years ago). So I sold it to a fellow chess collector who also belongs to CCI. He was thrilled. (I sold the complete, undamaged set of essentially identical chess set to him for, as I recall, just a few hundred dollars.) Both he and I (but mainly he) thought the set was a molded set (except for the wooden base) made from a combination of woodchips and some type of glue. There was some evidence for some mold lines. As I recall, we did not think the set was as old as the set the current seller of 151016863630 suggests. I am trying to recall how old he thought it was (he is an antique aficionado himself.) I THINK he thought it was late 1800's - early 1900's.       

I had brought that same set (when I owned it,,, assuming I have my years straight) to the previous Western Hemisphere CCI meeting in Port Jefferson, Long Island, New York). There, I showed it to a world known chess collector, who has written a chess-related book and has very, very (did I say very?) high-end, expensive and/or rare chess sets. He barely looked at the set. He was not snooty, really. He was actually kind enough to pay attention to me. But I think that the set did not impress him. (But it did impress my fellow chess collector - antique dealer / collector friend. And it certainly impressed little old me! And that last part is what really matters!

So, what can I say? (Well I suspect that I have said enough!)

I hope that this information is somehow helpful to anyone interested.  And if not, I hope that it helped, rather than using your (the reader's) sleeping pills...! 😉 (Hey, only one happy face thus far. I still have a stash of Sir Allan Fersht's little yellow pills he once prescribed for me! It seems to be working, though the anti-motor mouth meds does not seem to have had any really effect. Too bad, eh?!

Johnny Bishop. (also known as Le Fou) Better start praying!   😉

Message 1404 of 1,410
latest reply

Jim, I think you are indeed correct....! I DO have too much time on my hands. 😉  But, as the King of Chat, (see the posted message immediately before this one on this thread, as well as the myriad and many of my other postings on this thread) I order ?:| (.....ummm.... maybe more like a request of? a plead to?) you to bow 😮 before me. I KNOW you can do it! BTW, my dear editor friend of the International CCI newsletter/magazine, when is the next International issue coming out? John. P.S. I like your sense of humor, Jim. And I thank you for the attention you gave to me. I was indeed waiting with baited breath for any response at all from anyone! (Not).  😉

Message 1405 of 1,410
latest reply

To all:

Correction to my posted messages (two before this one). Regarding what I believe to have been my past identical set to 151016863630:

My fellow chess collector friend (who was also an antique dealer) and I thought that the chess pieces (with the exception of the bases) were composed of a composite material, made from at least a sawdust-like material and a glue, meshed together and then placed into molds.

John.  

Message 1406 of 1,410
latest reply

zzz_zzz_zzz_zzz_zzz_zzz_zzz

Yes.... you have to read through the muck to get to the good stuff...

(right after you finish your nap.)

Is ANYONE alive out there?

😉 John. P.S. Boy, the respective times that appear on these messages (which are supposed to reflect when we post them) do seem pretty screwed up. (eBay screwed up? Nah!) 

-- Edited by knight_knight_zzz at 03/24/2013 4:49 AM PDT
Message 1407 of 1,410
latest reply

Wake up John.

I went to the Christies Auction this week and afterwards to dinner at Simpsons Chess Divan in the Strand, London. There were 18 CCI members, from England, Scotland, Holland, France and the USA.

It was a great day. The suprise at the auction was a 2008 limited edition Man Ray set, estimated at 10,000 Pounds but sold for 26,000 Pounds.

Cheers

Jim

Message 1408 of 1,410
latest reply

Jim,

Thanks for the information about the recent Christie's auction. The final prices are on their site....http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/searchresults.aspx?entry=chess%20&searchtype=p&searchFrom=header&...

According to that, the Man Ray went for 32,500GBP which translates to $49,335 (USD)....I think that I had better stick with the authorized wood copy !

Clay  (noybear)

Message 1409 of 1,410
latest reply

I updated my website again.

Here is a page for my new Animalier set which I still have questions about:

http://www.tykroll.com/chess/animalier.html

I wrote up a post about this set and the thread appears to have been lost in the changeover to the new eBay groups format.

And here is a page for the Beneagles Whiskey chess set:

http://www.tykroll.com/chess/beneagels.html

I didn't manage to get any pics of either set on a board because they're both quite large. I have some boards the animals will fit on but at the time of day when I took the pictures there wasn't enough sun in the right spot to make it work. The whiskey set will only fit on my biggest Mexican boards which I don't keep here anymore so it wasn't to be. Still I think both shoots turned out very well.

I "replaced" the Thistle Rose copy set on my website with the original, but http://www.tykroll.com/chess/thistlerose.html is still live just won't be linked to the rest of the site as I don't really want to "clutter up" my collection with that set and the original.

Ty

Message 1410 of 1,410
latest reply