cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chat

I am curious... why the closure of chat 2? And where is Kristjan? :( John, Vermont. -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 11/04/2007 2:18 AM -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 11/04/2007 6:04 AM
Message 1 of 1,410
latest reply
1,409 REPLIES 1,409

Chat

And I agree with you, John.  I think the whole basis, and what makes it successful, is having a forum where information, collections, and opinions, can be shared with others with everyone recognizing from the outset that we will not agree 100% of the time but can do so while still showing - and maintaining - our respect and appreciation for each other.  I know I have, and will, certainly made mistakes in that regard down the line, being one of those humans having plenty of the imperfections you referred to, but hope I can be forgiven, with the understanding that I will strive to be just as forgiving in return, if and when necessary.

One of these days we'll all be perfect and these kinds of posts will no longer be necessary but until then . . . . .   😄

-- Edited by d-baron at 04/02/2012 9:25 AM PDT
. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 1366 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

🙂

Message 1367 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

Hi All,

I have been contacted by a new chess collector and I have suggested he joins this group.

I have tried the "Invite member" option and sent him a link, but he says he has heard nothing and can not join in!

How do I go about getting this guy in the group?

His name is Robert Unt from Sweeden and his ebay name is "robertunt". I have his e-mail address but I will not put it up here without his agreement.

Cheers

Jim

Message 1368 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

I made my try.

Invitation(s) sent successfully.

-- Edited by dancing_with_volves at 04/07/2012 6:36 AM PDT
Message 1369 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

Pardon the interruption, Jim and Kristjan. (I hope you were able to help the potential newcomer, Jim.).

For the silly and/or sweet chess collectors (not the "serious" ones, of course!) on this Easter Holiday, one might want to consider:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rement-Fairy-Tale-Sweets-No-2-CHESSBOARD-CAKE-Re-ment-Chess-Alice-in-Wonderl...

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unpainted-Peter-Rabbit-Chess-Set-with-Board-SAC-/390406407344?pt=UK_Toys_Gam...

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALICE-IN-WONDERLAND-CHESS-SET-WITH-THE-MAD-HATTER-HAND-MADE-CHESSMEN-/251030...

However, for the studious ones among us, serious consideration should be given to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bunny-No-16-Chess-Cover-Giant-Size-Issue-/310376698588?pt=US_Comic_Books&has...

Happy Easter!

Hoppin' Crazy John 😉

Message 1370 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

John, Thank yu for the "good buy" on the Bunny comic book. Bernice's nickname is Bunny, so of course I bought the book. Floyd

Message 1371 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

Floyd,

You are very welcome! Please give my best to "Bunny"!

While I have your (or our mutual friend Israel R's) attention:

I have noticed that - despite your relatively recent (a few weeks ago?) inclusion of a reminder in the CCI informational related package about the eOsef sets for sale that are updated "weekly"(?) - no new chess sets or items have been listed for many weeks now (well over a couple of months).

Despite my relative lack of Vermont MOO la, 😉 , I always try to see what you guys have up for sale.  I visit it daily!

So, what's up?

Thanks. John (April Showers in Vermont) 

Message 1372 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

Ok, ALL.... so this ebay item is not chess related.... it IS the chat thread, right?..... (and if it bothers you, just sue me...!)

Whoa! Where did that come from...? Must be my Mr. Hyde comin' out to play....! Back inside, you demon!

Here goes a nice figurine. Not too involved..... would you say? And just the right tune for today....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221001494485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Or how about this....? For some reeaon, I am feeling like this today.... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380358159581?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Anyone with some extra cash on hand?

My birthday is right around the corner!

Good afternoon, matees!

How about a game of chess or two? Tea? Coffee? Pie?

John, VT.

Message 1373 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

Maybe it's just time to retire....

..... and play a leisurely game of chess with a few friends.....

So far, I am in the middle of games against two chess "friends" who are both members of this ebay CC group as well as CCI.

And I have had an offer from a third...! (I'll get back to you shortly, my anonymous upcoming opponent...! Will you have the coffee or tea ready? Shall I bring some cherry pie?)

Yes..... a nice leisurely game of chess..... some friendly competition,,,, where we can congenially even share some thoughts on chess sets as well as other aspects in the myriad gardens of life....! Perhaps much better than these digressions, rantings, "discussions" and even duels on these many threads....

Such is life.... all things (good and bad) must come to an end..... but in the garden of life..... the death of anything tends to lead to the birth of another....

Ciao and au revoir, "y'all"....

John, Vermont. (Is this a mere tease of a leaving? Or a mental game played in stone? We shall see.... we shall see..., eh?

Message 1374 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

Well this group seems even deader than it was getting before, but after 10 months I just updated my chess collection website, so this group gets my obligatory reentrance and links to the stuff I just posted... he you go:

Greenland Studios Jasperware copy of the Anri/Lowe set

Ivory Travel Set (St. George/Old English)

Muslim Set (bone 20th century, India)

Russian Plastic (a set I'm sure you've seen many times, but not my pictures of it yet)

and I have some new pictures of my repaired Renaissance Set.

This isn't even all the collecting I've done in the last year. Come a few more sunny weekends and you can look forward to a Jaipur silver enamel set, a hobby painted King Richard's Court metal set (with better than average painting, IMO,) the Charles O Perry Chess set puzzle, a Limogines porcelain set, and a small Dehli ivory set... and if I ever get the time I'll take some better pictures of some of my older sets like I did with the Renaissance one. But for now this is a big a update. Comments?

Ty

-- Edited by ne0romantic at 11/11/2012 12:34 PM PST
Message 1375 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

John, Your photography is great. I must take time to learn how to do as well.  I may not post frequently on this site, but I do check it daily. That is , except for the past two weekks when we had no power at home or the office. No other loss to the Sandy storm. Hope you two are well.  Floyd

Message 1376 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

Thanks, Floyd, even if you did confuse me with John. 😛 (I suppose he does post a lot until recently on this thread and I'm a less frequent visitor.

So what ever happened to the "joke corner" thread. I have a listing for it:

I mean it's a great set, but seeing it in that condition paints a rather odd picture. I think someone related to the Beatles? did an art piece that was similar with the idea that everyone's pieces being the same color would put an end to war because we'd see we're all the same... or more literally chess players would forget who's pieces were whose which actually wouldn't happen if they were any good at chess, but I like to think the piece still works on the former idea. Never expected to see it in an antique set, though.

Ty

Message 1377 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

It was Yoko Ono that made the all white chess sets.  I saw it at the Chess Museum last year and thought it was very striking but not very playable.

And I like your additions.  Always liked the look of the Muslim sets and I'm a sucker for those russian sets.

-- Edited by d-baron at 11/21/2012 12:03 PM PST
. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 1378 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

Thanks Duncan,

Does anyone know anything about the painted Thistle Rose set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121023101259?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The price was right, but I fear I may have stumbled upon (another?) unlicensed copy.

Ty

Message 1379 of 1,410
latest reply

Chat

Ty, Nice copy  But not original.  I have original. Pawns are totally different.  Floyd  Lichess

Message 1380 of 1,410
latest reply