cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipinsurance claim denied

After Harvey wrecked havoc in TX,I shipped an antique pocket watch to Australia using first class mail and insured with SHipinsurance,value is $400.

Tracking was never scanned,and the buyer never receive the watch.

So I refunded her and filed claim with Shipinsurance .

Now they rejected my claim-citing SHipping jewelry to Australia I must use USPS priority mail ,so no deal.

I asked why ,what does USPS and Australia rule has to be with private insurer,I have never heard of this rule that it must be shipped using USPS priority mail,have you?

When I confronted Shipinsurance,then she said the package was never scanned.

Okay,we haev bozo running the post office when my postman was on vacation,they are no better than chimpanzees,but what is my chance of winning the claim?

I also contact USPS to trace the package,never hear from them.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: shipinsurance claim denied

The last time I used Shipsurance the rule they had regarding jewelry was that anything valued $500 or over needed to be sent with signature confirmation.  Maybe they've changed it require PMI.    It isn't an ebay/Austalia rule, it was part of SS's terms of coverage.

If you received no scans at all, not even an acceptance scan, then I woud expect them to deny the claim.    They also required proof of shipping.  

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I am not aware SS requires signature for $500,in this case,it would not make sense,since the buyer never receive the package,she was never givene a chance to sign the package.

I have the shipping label and affadavit from the buyer that she never receive the shipment but it was never scanned by USPS. 

But what bothers me is that I am supposed to ship jewelry using USPS priority to Auatralia?

where can I find this rule on USPS website?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

As I said, this isn't a USPS rule, it is a requirement by Shipsurance if you wanted to insure jewelry with them over $500.  Even if you don't get a signature, you are supposed to send a method that would require a signature.   They can make whatever rules they want.    Such as this, although it may have changed.  

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 3.27.09 PM.png

As for the No Scan, they also say this below.   So it doesn't look like they would cover your claim based on this alone. 

In order for a package to be covered, the shipping carrier must have verified acceptance of your package for mailing. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

But what bothers me is that I am supposed to ship jewelry using USPS priority to Auatralia?

And BTW, anything that has a declared value over $400, does need to be shipped Priority Mail internationally, since that is the value limit for first class. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply