cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selling on ebay

oh my ,here we go again .shipping is so costly now that i am lossing money every day .i am in southern pa and a 1 lb 4 oz box to california cost over 11 dollars i cant justifi addinding $11.00  shipping to a to a $ 15.00 item .i try to keep the shipping as low as possible or it wont sell ,everyone wants free shipping  so ,then ebay gets $1.59 then paypal etc..rates go up i know but come on i have been doing this a long time and shipping cost have now takeing the profit away ,,, the only people making money here is the post office .it seems everything i sell goes out west , ebay should have have a shipping hub of there own ,for in counrty delivers or cost to cost . because now i must rethink ,,again ,,how i will calulate everything ,but it also seems that this is complete wast of my time  because usps will rase there rates in a month and i will lose again and again  

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: selling on ebay

You're right; for a lower-priced 2-pound item, it doesn't make sense to offer Free shipping.  Just set up your listing with calculated shipping.  You'll probably find a buyer from a close state; postage for a 2-pound package can be as low as $6.52.  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The only time I use a fixed rate for shipping is if I'm using First Class or a Priority Flat Rate box. I let my buyers in CA decide if the item is worth $11 in shipping cost, and my buyers close to me decide if it's worth $7.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

"ebay should have have a shipping hub of there own"

And that will make it cheaper how? i see that as added expenses that are more than the usps already just to get this off the cutting room floor 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@fuzzface50 wrote:

And that will make it cheaper how? i see that as added expenses that are more than the usps already just to get this off the cutting room floor 

Oh, my, I missed that. How disastrous would that be?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@fuzzface50 wrote:

Right???.....ebay has the GSP which is a shipping hub right? Look how expensive that is! There is no way they could become a carrier and charge less than USPS! They aren't amazon, they can't afford the huge losses amazon takes because of shipping! 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

i am in southern pa and a 1 lb 4 oz box to california cost over 11 dollars i cant justifi addinding $11.00  shipping to a to a $ 15.00 item .i try to keep the shipping as low as possible or it wont sell ,everyone wants free shipping  so ,then ebay gets $1.59 then paypal etc..rates go up i know but come on i have been doing this a long time and shipping cost have now takeing the profit away ,,,

Some things aren't worth selling here.  Decide that before you list.  If you can't make a profit when you factor in all expenses, don't list it.  This is nothing new, it's always been this way.  Just like prices on everything else, the required selling price for profitability is going up.

ebay should have have a shipping hub of there own ,for in counrty delivers or cost to cost .

I don't think you fully understand the magnitude of infrastructure, personnel, equipment, needed to deliver packages.  eBay is likely in no position to begin their own nationwide delivery system.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@fuzzface50 wrote:

Right???.....ebay has the GSP which is a shipping hub right? Look how expensive that is! There is no way they could become a carrier and charge less than USPS! They aren't amazon, they can't afford the huge losses amazon takes because of shipping! 

Amazon doesn't lose any money with shipping. They ship by the truckloads, 24/7/365.  They use the cheapest carriers in the country. I used to work for a couple of them. And believe me, they have no qualms about holding a driver up until that truck is filled. It probably costs them pennies per item.

But you are right. No way eBay could do that on it's own. It is completely out of their wheelhouse. That is why they hired someone to do the GSP for them.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

You don't have to justify anything. Shipping is shipping and item cost is item cost.  If you want to give "free" shipping, charge $26 for the item. I keep them seperate unless the item is expensive and cheap to ship. Only then will I throw free shipping on it.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

your right ,thank you .
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

yes your right .thank you
Message 11 of 11
latest reply