cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay shipping label error "Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label"

For 2 weeks now, I have been getting an error message "Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label." I have been unable to purchase shipping through ebay for USPS, UPS or FedEx and resorted to paying for shipping at each carrier. Ebay has credited my account for the price difference; however, it's an ongoing problem and according to the ebay CS representatives, there is currently no resolution. In searching for this discussion title, I see posts from last year. Is anyone else experiencing this and/or have any insights? I have tried different browsers and have tried to purchase labels at various times during the day.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: ebay shipping label error "Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label&

Sorry, no insight.  I have had an occasional problem but not as you have.

If I can't print here, I will print my labels on paypal or Pirate Ship.  The orders from ebay will import there so just as easy--plus Pirate ship includes $100 insurance.  and it's free to set up an account.  I found that they also respond quickly to questions too.  but I believe it only usps

Here's the link if you want to check it out.

https://www.pirateship.com/usps/commercial-pricing

Pirate ship 

Hope the problem here is resolved.  must be a hassle.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Re: ebay shipping label error "Something went wrong and we were not able to generate the label&

Have you used eBay labels successfully before?  Are you getting errors on multiple sold items (various buyer addresses)?  

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

See if this will help:

Download and install the latest version of ADOBE ACROBAT READER, and specify it as the default for reading PDF files, instead of your browser's PDF reader.  Now try opening and printing your return shipping label.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I'm having the same problem. No one seems to know how to fix it including ebay. So frustrating!

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Just a quick note as to have I solved this problem.

I had a customer who ordered a large quantity of products.

His only address on EBAY was a PO Box, so I asked him if he had a mailing address I could

use to send his products via Fedex.

He did and sent me the address.  However, I kept getting that same vague message.

Different browsers did not help.

Finally, I removed a 2nd address line, Unit xxxxxx, from the label, and then it went through fine.

I just wrote the unit number by hand on a 2nd label.

Paypal would have worked as well, but does not support Fedex.  UPS price was almost double

the FedEx price on EBAY

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

So, here's my question: If I go to ship via Pirate Ship or Shippo (my preference), how does that affect the shipping amount my customer has paid to eBay (and from which eBay has included in the total for their fee)? Does the amount to eBay/me change, or am I overcomplicating this?

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Any update from Ebay on this? Why it is acceptable to say vague things like , "Something went wrong..." What is this "something"??!!

I once was told it has to do with paypal primary address not matching or something... But I've double checked that and it looks ok.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

This has become a huge issue for me...I exclude APO/PO in my listings.

Was able to create two labels an hour ago without any issue and now I can't get any labels to print. Tried UPS and same error message. 

Does anyone know how to get eBay to reimburse the volume discount? In my particular situation, the discount is about $85 per package. 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I was getting the error with eBay Standard International Delivery when the declared value of the package was more than $100 (which is the amount of included insurance coverage). 

Was able to ship when I adjusted the declared value.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

that worked, thank you!

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

This exact error message is happening to me. I am not able to print a label. I have tried to call eBay and get help but they are of no help. This is the second order I have tried to ship as we are a new account.. This is very frustrating.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I was having the same issue, I used your link and print on Pirateship.. Very simple  & easy to navigate. Thank you;)

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

hollbrillhar_0
Rising Star

Same thing happened to me. I messed with the shipping address a little bit, took out the second address line but nothing helped until I changed the box dimensions of all things. I think if one thing is even slightly off, the label won't go through and then they don't tell you what's wrong! Anyway, hope this helps someone!

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Same as "holibrillhar-0,  I had the " something went wrong..........."  After spending all day trying to figure this out and an hour with the Ebay chat line, I didn't find the answer.      I then checked my address and found that I had " Lethbridge, Alberta and then another Alberta where the Province is entered.   I removed the first Alberta and the City was then listed only as Lethbridge.  I was then able to download the label, print it and send the package off.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply