cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay return policy not good

Guys,

I sold a over USD2000 lens to a buyer on 23/3

that guy used the lens 3 weeks and open dispute asking return.

reason is lens faulty.    He did not send any email to me and direct open dispute on ebay.

so I accept return as he said the lens is faulty,  when I received the lens back and after checked.

The lens is 100% NO PROBLEM.   I esclate the case to ebay and I not agree his return.

Within 1 hour, ebay close the case and buyer win and payment refunded!

1.) I have to pay return shipping charge

2.) I have received a used lens

end up I have to lose over USD300+ at least....

That buyer used the high value lens 3 weeks and then return back at NO cost!!!

You guys setup the return policy in item listing :  shipping fee pay by buyer.... restocking fee...etc

Those are 100% Meaningless!!!  ebay will not concern.

Once buyer return a entity back (even a stone or book) with POD.  He will get his payment back!

There are NO tiny protection to seller.

I am toprated with selling history since 1999 and 100% feedback history.  ebay still treat me like a dog.

Guys.... DO NOT sell any high value items on ebay.... 

Base on ebay judgement,  you guys can open a rental shop without cost.... just as a serial returner...

keep buy from difference sellers and then return back.  

so sad.......  take care....

Best Regards,
Joseph 😞

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: ebay return policy is suck

Why would you fight this when you accept returns for any reason and the item was returned in 100% working order in the same condition it was sent in? You have an unresolved seller defect now, and for what? You should have issued the refund and reported the buyer for abusing the MBG & blocked them. You can't deny a refund in this situation, ever. I don't understand why you tried fighting it?

Your return policy applies to buyers remorse only. Perhaps your unfriendly return policy is why the buyer lied? And by the way, are you aware that restocking fees are no longer allowed as of the spring update? Starting in May, no more restocking fees.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@chinaarts wrote:

You guys setup the return policy in item listing :  shipping fee pay by buyer.... restocking fee...etc

Those are 100% Meaningless!!!  ebay will not concern. 

Many buyers know that they can lie and not have to pay for returns.  It is a loophole in the eBay returns system, and unless the buyer makes the mistake of admitting that it is a remorse return, then there is nothing you can do about it ... escalating it to a case will only cause you more pain and punishment.

Remember to go to your closed returns and  report the buyer as abusing the Money Back Guarantee program ... I don't know if it will ever be acted upon, but unless we report these dishonest buyers, nothing will be done.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

Why would you fight this when you accept returns for any reason and the item was returned in 100% working order in the same condition it was sent in? You have an unresolved seller defect now, and for what? You should have issued the refund and reported the buyer for abusing the MBG & blocked them. You can't deny a refund in this situation, ever. I don't understand why you tried fighting it?

Your return policy applies to buyers remorse only. Perhaps your unfriendly return policy is why the buyer lied? And by the way, are you aware that restocking fees are no longer allowed as of the spring update? Starting in May, no more restocking fees.

it was not returned in same condition,the buyer used it for 3 weeks.

so now the seller has to sell it as used,not new

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

That 20% restocking fee on a $2000 item is what caused your issue in my opinion.  You're asking for this to eventually happen when you charge huge restocking fees.  I'm surprised with the amount you sell that you haven't had this issue before now.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@chinaarts  Unfortunately, a return policy applies to any priced item when set up to accept them.  You make a good point about high priced items ... but I am surprised that this happened to a camera lens opposed to high end electronics.

My guess is that the wedding pictures turned out great with that lens ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@casey768 wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

it was not returned in same condition,the buyer used it for 3 weeks.

so now the seller has to sell it as used,not new

what does that have to do with anything here? 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@jklfindings wrote:

That 20% restocking fee on a $2000 item is what caused your issue in my opinion.  You're asking for this to eventually happen when you charge huge restocking fees.  I'm surprised with the amount you sell that you haven't had this issue before now.

You are selling this Sapphire and Diamond Tennis Bracelet for over USD4000 in your ebay shop.

If I buy this item from you and then keep it 4 weeks.

and then I open dispute from ebay said it is a defect item.

I can return it back to you at your cost and you cannot sell it as brand new stock again.

Are you happy to receive a used item return from buyer as what you said??

You think it is a common practice and fair to seller???

I wonder.....

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

There are not necessary to buy any items again if base on your theory.....

If I like a Rolex Daytona watch,  I just find 12 sellers on ebay.

buy from them 1 by 1 and use it 4 weeks each and then said item defect and return.

This is a common practise in USA??? And even all luxuary goods shop accept it???

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

p.s. over 6% ebay FVF is NOT able to refund,   as ebay said this is NOT item cancellation.

ebay did not offer protection to seller and even earn money on top from a return case......

I paid

1.) ship and return  shipping cost.  

2.)  over 6% ebay fee

3.) and I received back a USED 4 weeks items.

in ebay community, 2 guys said return USED item is a normal practise, as a seller should accept it ...

GREAT!  I just removed all high value from my ebay shop.....  Probably will not sell any items on ebay in very soon...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I've come to realize the sellers policy means nothing. They can request returns past 30 days too. And leave negative feedback if not accepted, regardless of seller policy.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@chinaarts wrote:

@jklfindings wrote:

You are selling this Sapphire and Diamond Tennis Bracelet for over USD4000 in your ebay shop.

If I buy this item from you and then keep it 4 weeks.

and then I open dispute from ebay said it is a defect item.

I can return it back to you at your cost and you cannot sell it as brand new stock again.

Are you happy to receive a used item return from buyer as what you said??

You think it is a common practice and fair to seller???

I wonder.....

That’s the cost of doing business. You run that risk in brick and mortar stores too. 

Your buyer probably wasn’t happy about your restocking fee either.  It’s a double edged sword. Your buyer isn’t happy about the restocking fee and you aren’t happy about getting a used item back. And I think using a piece of jewelry here is kind of silly since.....the value doesn’t really depreciate the same way an opened electronic does.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply