cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay shipping calculator WAY OFF when I go to print postage

I found an older thread on this subject but it was closed.

I just sold an item that I had input correct weight and size.  eBay charged buyer approx. $16 for shipping USPS. When I went to print a label without changing any info, it wanted to charge me about $32!! I checked at USPS calculator AND eBay calculator.  Both gave the amount that was charged to buyer.

This has actually happened more than once in last few weeks. On the other items the amount was small enough that I just paid the extra. I talked to eBay support TWICE. The person completely agreed with me that it was calculating cost to print a label WRONG. Told to me check in a FEW WEEKS to see if it's fixed! Also told me to contact buyer to tell them that shipping is going to be more!!! RIGHT!  

As of right now if it happens again I am just going to have to buy my postage at USPS. I will lose any eBay discounts but it seems the only way to pay the correct amount.

There has to be someone else out there having the same issue. This is stressful and right now I'm actually hoping that nothing large sells.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: eBay shipping calculator WAY OFF when I go to print postage

@vintaglectible wrote:

Wow.   So when I list an item if I choose Parcel Select it will show an outrageous amount to buyer ... so they will never purchase. If I list it Retail Ground the price will be much better bu then I can't purchase my shipping label on eBay?   Is this correct?  

Thanks

Yes, that's exactly correct (for packages over 1 cubic foot).  

Retail Ground can only be purchased at the Post Office, and if you're shipping to Zones 1 - 4, then Retail Ground can only be purchased for items that must travel by ground such as hazmat and live animals.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@vintaglectible wrote:

...I talked to eBay support TWICE. The person completely agreed with me that it was calculating cost to print a label WRONG. Told to me check in a FEW WEEKS to see if it's fixed! Also told me to contact buyer to tell them that shipping is going to be more!!! RIGHT!  

This is terrible, and they get paid too.  Always ask shipping (and most other) questions here to get the experts to help.    I see you already got the best of the best to help you on this thread.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vintaglectible wrote:

Thank you for the helpful reply but as I said I checked everything so it is NOT my assumption. I ran it through eBay shipping calculator and amounts came out correct. When I go to purchase a label it is wrong. eBay support person checked and agreed with me and verified same and said that there is a problem. 

Order was on June 27 and I shipped the next day.

Another item that had same problem was ordered on June 27 and shipped same day.

I also had 2 other orders on 26 & 27 with problems but the amount small enough that I didn't notice until I went back and checked after noticing the larger errors.

Hi @vintaglectible, the shipping service you offer is not eligible for USPS labels to be printed online - when you go to print a label, a different option is defaulted because the USPS Retail Ground option is not available. You would need to go to a retail location to purchase postage with this option. While the shipping calculator is working correctly to assess the shipping cost for this service in alignment with the rates on USPS, you will see different prices when attempting to print a label on our site because the service you offer is not one of the services you can purchase when printing a label.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

I have to say "**bleep**". I'm just now (November 4, 2019) and the calculator is way off. Small first class items come out 50 cents to $1.50 more than the calculator shows. The only option is to add a random amount to my listing. A very sloppy way to do business. This is clearly ebay, not me.
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@dwalkercat1 wrote:
I have to say "**bleep**". I'm just now (November 4, 2019) and the calculator is way off. Small first class items come out 50 cents to $1.50 more than the calculator shows. The only option is to add a random amount to my listing. A very sloppy way to do business. This is clearly ebay, not me.

I have shipped thousands of packages, and the shipping calculator has always been "spot on".

Problems sometimes arise for individuals because they:

1) Compare online costs to "retail"

2)  list with the wrong service, as in envelope(flat), as compared to a package.

3) pass on the "online discount to the buyer, then ship at the PO

4) other

Provide the exact details of you problem. Someone will assist you.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

@dwalkercat1 wrote: ... Small first class items come out 50 cents to $1.50 more than the calculator shows..... This is clearly ebay, not me.

Don't be so fast to blame eBay.  

At $1.45 and $1.60, your listings are clearly not set up to charge for postage for First Class packages, since postage for those packages starts at $2.66.  Most likely you have set up the shipping calculator's menu for 'Package type" with letter or large envelope rather than package.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@dwalkercat1 As stated above you have found an "issue" with the shipping settings for listings, just not what you think.  The listing tool will occasionally default to "Letter" instead of "Package/Thick Envelope".  As long as the weight is appropriate for a "Letter" eBay will not complain, leaving the seller underpaid for the actual item.   

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Thank you Suzanne! This happened to me today. Not realizing that retail ground could not be purchased on line, I had to spend an extra $14 to ship a large box. I don't ever recall this information being offered anywhere, which would have been helpful. This is one reason why I hate selling large/heavy items! But now I know!

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

This has happened to me from time to time. Today I learned it was because I chose Retail Ground, which I usually never do. Couldn't they warn us better that it can't be purchased online?

But the other times were First Class and Priority Mail. I bet there is something we are missing, I just wish I knew what it is!

Message 24 of 24
latest reply