cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay dipping into your pocket book without authorization! That's a no, no!

First, I'd like to let you know that our household is a USPS personnel household.  Ebay has started to bot your shipping labels and monitor your transactions to the penny.  As in my case,  I sent out a packages about 3 weeks ago with a 4 ounce postage label, $2.66.  The same item number, (because I have multiple for sale), I shipped out 3 weeks later at the amount of 10 ounces.  The 10 ounce postage label was my own mistake, I was busy and had many packages to get out before the am.  I realized the postage mistake, and didn't feel like voiding out the label, waiting 15-21, days for a refund on a $6.99 item.  So, I took the loss and continued on my day.  Ebay bots caught the item number and the shipping difference and tried to take a $1.00 out of my account, (see unauthorized), so will now, ad it to my monthly store charge.  Stated in the letter it was the USPS.  USPS scanners which are the tool used to document your package/cost/movement transaction  do not contain information relayed to a method than the postmaster/manager office at which your postman is employed.  No company, stamps.com, pitney bowes, or etc., does a detailed movement chart on your transactions, besides, your postal label.   The clerks at the USPS office may, and, do, a daily pull, of a few packages to weigh for quality control, but, we don't have that capability to monitor every movement, as eBay states.  If your package doesn't weigh the correct amount, and it's caught, it's sent back to the sender to add the correct postage. Period.  It's the USPS, not the CIA.  The amount of mail and work that passes the local post office on a daily basis, no one but, a USPS worker has any idea what it entails.  

Now, this transaction was my mistake because I was in a hurry to get these packages (28) out within the free pick-up time frame.  Yet, again, eBay stuck its nose where it doesn't belong, and tells me to get it right?  I've already taken a loss of around 60 cents!  This isn't a school, this is a transaction! The average Joe, doesn't know, but, our USPS family does, and I'd like to let the community know, also.

License2diva
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay dipping into your pocket book without authorization! That's a no, no!

This was a bot.  My package arrived at it's destination 3 weeks prior with all accounted for, at 4 ounces.  It's a 4 x 4 x 4, package, and it's true weight is 4 ounces.  The second package went out at 10 ounces 3 weeks later, at my error,  and it's now the official mandated weight and was charged a $1.00 for the differences.  It's the time frame and the untruth of the matter.  When I ship the next package with the same ID number, as it will sell again, it'll go out at 4 ounces, the true weight.  This transaction wasn't caught by weighing at a sorting center. It was just shipped out through eBay shipping.  Which I don't use anymore.

License2diva

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

As a USPS personnel household, I'm surprised you seem to not be aware of this program that was enacted by the USPS.

Here is the ebay announcement:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/USPS-Begins-Automated-Package-Verification-Changing-Unde...

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Apparently you haven't heard about the "Automated package verification" equipment  that USPS has set up in sorting centers to compare the actual package weight and dimensions against the weight and dimensions that were entered when the label was purchased.  This affects labels sold through all online postage services (eBay, stamps.com, endicia, etc.). It has nothing to do with eBay or with your local Post Office staff.

https://www.usps.com/business/verify-postage.htm

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/ebay-shipping-partners/avoid-extra-postage-costs....

https://postalpro.usps.com/node/4111

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

https://www.usps.com/business/verify-postage.htm

USPS has indeed started this.  Its a automated package verification.   If you're package is short postage or overpaid USPS will either bill the extra or refund the extra. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

This was a bot.  My package arrived at it's destination 3 weeks prior with all accounted for, at 4 ounces.  It's a 4 x 4 x 4, package, and it's true weight is 4 ounces.  The second package went out at 10 ounces 3 weeks later, at my error,  and it's now the official mandated weight and was charged a $1.00 for the differences.  It's the time frame and the untruth of the matter.  When I ship the next package with the same ID number, as it will sell again, it'll go out at 4 ounces, the true weight.  This transaction wasn't caught by weighing at a sorting center. It was just shipped out through eBay shipping.  Which I don't use anymore.

License2diva
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

How is putting the wrong weight of 10oz on a 4oz package and getting caught ebay's fault?  Ebay has no way to check your weights.  Did you look to see if you received a credit?  Did you read any of the links provided?

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@license2divawrote:

@license2diva

I have read this twice, and I must be dense, as I do not understand.

Are you saying that you have been charged $1 extra by billing from USPS via your eBay invoice for packages that you overpaid on(extra 4 oz) when printing the label. ?????

That would be how it is done by the PV if there are errors.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

The op seems to think they've added $1 charge to the first package delivered three weeks ago because she put the exact same item at a higher shipping cost just recently.  

The screen shot you showed meantions either a credit or charge.  Are you sure you aren't seeing eBay trying to give you a $1 credit for the package you just shipped that was paid too much ?

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincesswrote:

The op seems to think they've added $1 charge to the first package delivered three weeks ago because she put the exact same item at a higher shipping cost just recently.  

The screen shot you showed meantions either a credit or charge.  Are you sure you aren't seeing eBay trying to give you a $1 credit for the package you just shipped that was paid too much ?

It's confusing. Seems to be claiming that they are charging the $2.66 package an extra $1 because a like item was mailed later using 10oz as opposed to 4 ounces. I find it implausible, and there is no possible way that it could happen.

I ship the same listing # items out all the time as I have multiples. The weigh is not always the same.  Can vary an ounce depending upon my packaging. Usually is the lower.  Using that logic, any of my lower weight items would now be getting a Postage Verification charge linking them to that heavier item.  It will never happen.  Each weight check is linked to that individual label, and has nothing to do with any other label.

I'm going with the $1 credit theory.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

If your package doesn't weigh the correct amount, and it's caught, it's sent back to the sender to add the correct postage. Period.  It's the USPS, not the CIA. 

@license2diva

General consensus is that most, if not all, postal employees processing packages at retail windows, have been instructed to accept packages just as they are with no regard to weight.  This happens even at POS offices when the items are accepted/weighed/scanned/receipt provided with incorrect weight.

It will just be sent along its merry way to be caught by the Postage Verification check, at which time, as explained in the links others have provided, it will be charged/credited to the sender(person that purchased/printed the label) via the same method paid. (PayPay/eBay, or whatever)

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@buyselljack2016wrote:

General consensus is that most, if not all, postal employees processing packages at retail windows, have been instructed to accept packages just as they are with no regard to weight.  This happens even at POS offices when the items are accepted/weighed/scanned/receipt provided with incorrect weight.

It will just be sent along its merry way to be caught by the Postage Verification check, at which time, as explained in the links others have provided, it will be charged/credited to the sender(person that purchased/printed the label) via the same method paid. (PayPay/eBay, or whatever)

Which would make sense. USPS has been trying to reduce the amount of time spent waiting in line for decades now (hard to believe I can remember a time before the self-service kiosks existed). PV checks take place behind the scenes, where there's more flexibility regarding how and when things can be done.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@thallidguywrote:
 ... PV checks take place behind the scenes, where there's more flexibility regarding how and when things can be done.

And where it's mostly done by machines that move WAY faster then Post Office clerks.  After all, the "A" in APV stands for Automated.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

whoever the "USPS personnel at your household" is obviously does not know USPS policies, or is just lying to you about how the postal verification works. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@buyselljack2016

This doesn't happen at our USPS PO.  Our clerks make you pony up if you are  short.

I have had to on a few occasions.

Guess they didn't get the message that you are trying to convey.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Your hypothesis is incorrect.

The 10 retail rate is $4.50.  If you short postage on a commercial priced package and USPS intervenes, you are assesssed retail rates.

If your 4 oz package was being charged for additional postage based upon some eBay conspiracy and not actual USPS procedure that was put into play over 6 months ago, it would be $1.84

eBay has the right to bill you with AVP found shortages just like they do with FedEx.  Look at your user agreement.  You do not pay USPS.  You pay eBay Inc Shipping.  They, in turn, pay USPS.  

Message 15 of 16
latest reply