cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woo commerce wants package dimensions.

Starting this morning when I try to list something using Woo it gives me an error.  "Error: Package dimensions are missing. (#21920415)  The package dimensions required for calculated shipping are missing. Provide valid numbers for the dimensions."  I've never had to put dimensions in before.  I can manually add a dimension but it's hard to get the correct size when I am listing a product without a box.   eBay will change shipping prices based on what I put in.  It won't matter for free shipping but when a customer chooses next day error it will make a difference.    Anyone run into this issue. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@nationalcameraexch 

Yeah, that started for me today, as well -- and my complaint is similar to yours:  How do I know what the final dimensions of the shipping package will be, before I've even sold the item?!?

I just measured each item, adjusted to the next  highest inch, and continued.

This may be tied in with the latest eBay memo (which has been debated on several of today's threads), regarding eBay's decision to provide eBay buyers with our seller shipping discounts -- unless sellers opt out.

I'm still waiting to receive the memo, so I can opt out myself.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I have noticed this as well when listing items using the eBay seller hub. Yesterday I was able to list without package dimensions, today they are required. As a result, I am estimating the dimensions, then rounding up so that I don't end up paying the extra.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I started having dimension issues a couple months ago when I sold a pair of shoes. It seemed to only apply to things weighing a pound or over, at the time I didn't know what was going on and it took a few sales (and losses) to have someone tell me what was going on. As of today however, now you can't even edit a listing if it doesn't have dimensions on it. So now we're all going to have to manually change our dimensions on every listing we have both in order to change pricing or details, and also so we don't have a huge headache on our hands where facilities won't accept our packages or extra costs.

This whole thing is an absolute nightmare, now they're trying to implement auto giving buyers our shipping discounts. So far the "opt out" is a survey that isn't actually opting out of anything I don't think.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

We have run into this issue as well. Was this change announced by eBay? 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I don't recall ever receiving an email, message or anything on my screen indicating a change, like I did today about buyers receiving shipping discounts. Certainly nothing today about it.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Sellers should already know what box they are going to use when they list an item.

Its amazing how many sell an item, then they can't find a box to ship it in.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I have never had to provide dimensions unless the package was going to be over 36" overall....They are even asking for dimensions with media mail which doesn't ever come in to play....

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

This is simply unrealistic unless you're a big business. Say someone's a small seller, maybe has 100-200 things. Sometimes some of these things sit for *years* before they're sold, and very commonly months. Do you expect them to have that many packages and boxes in their homes at all times and know exactly what one is going to be used for what item? Or even worse, prepackage an item months or years in advance to sit there, taking up space and possibly getting damaged in some way sitting in the box? A lot of people use packages and boxes they receive from items they've purchased themselves that they've held onto, and do not have as many packages lying around as they do listings. Next month I may use a package for something else that I could have in mind to use with something I list today, and that listing today may not sell until next year. This is why this is a big problem for most sellers. Both big changes ebay is putting into place is hurting the smaller sellers but will be fine for larger ones.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Yep, had it happen to me also..........

I think it's connected to the opt in/out calculated shipping thing they are doing......Sellers will need ACCURATE shipping info in the listing if they charge buyers the discounted rates that we get.  If inaccurate (on the low side), sellers could get bitten badly. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

It appears from what others are reporting that eBay is now requiring package dimensions on listings with calculated shipping. Sellers should enter accurate package dimensions when listing. If that's not possible for some reason, as long as you are 100% certain your package :

1. Will not exceed a cubic foot in volume (LxWxH < 1728) and
2. Will not exceed 22" in length

Then you can enter "dummy" dimensions of 12x12x12.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Earlier today I posted that I was having a similar problem. Now, a few hours later, I can list without adding package dimensions. Is some kind of eBay glitch and/or programming error?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@guranse wrote:

Earlier today I posted that I was having a similar problem. Now, a few hours later, I can list without adding package dimensions. Is some kind of eBay glitch and/or programming error?

Between the time you got that error message earlier and now, did you opt out of passing on shipping carrier discounts to buyers?

Either it was a tech error that eBay was forcing dimensions and they corrected it, or as some posted above eBay might be requiring it with the carrier discounts change notice that went out today.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply