cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who pays for original shipping on returns in buyer's remorse cases?

I had a very long conversation with an eBay representative today and could not get to the bottom of this question. I'm curious to hear from both buyers and sellers regarding this question. 

Q: Who is obligated to pay for original shipping costs on returns, in the case of buyer's remorse, given the particular details below? 

Here are the details:

• I bought an item and returned it, because I no longer wanted it (i.e., buyer's remorse, I made a mistake).
  • Seller refunded item cost but not the original shipping cost, stating that because I changed my mind, it wasn't his fault. 
  • Seller's Return Policy states:
    • "ALL returns accepted" (without any conditions or asterisks)
    • "Buyer pays RETURN shipping" (without any restocking or other fees mentioned). 
      • After the return, the seller later said "buyer pay's all shipping" in buyer's remorse cases citing ebay policy.
  • ebay policy regarding "who pays" return shipping only clarifies "return shipping" situations, and does not reference original shipping in buyer's remorse cases. (screenshot #2)
  • ebay's "money back guarantee" policy refers back to seller's return policies in cases of buyer's remorse. (i.e., does not seem to apply to this case.) (screenshot #1)

So, what do you all think, should the seller or buyer cover the original shipping refund in my case?  And why? Please include policy links if you have them. 

Thanks,

Mike

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Who pays for original shipping on returns in buyer's remorse cases?

This is helpful. Where does it say this? 

Message 31 of 66
latest reply

"...if you filed a Buyer's Remorse Request for a return that you are responsible for paying the return shipping and if the seller chooses to they can withhold the original shipping from the refund IF shipping was separately stated on the listing you purchase from."

Which policy and policy section?

- Thanks. 

Message 32 of 66
latest reply

@fishrivers wrote:

Look to the right.  Don't just read the left side of your screen.   Read the entire line on the pic you posted.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 66
latest reply

Sorry, I mean where does ebay policy confirm how you've interpreted the screenshot, not what did my screenshot say. thanks. 

Message 34 of 66
latest reply

@fishrivers wrote:

To clarify, I have never insinuated listing was intentionally deceptive. 

As I have stated, I was confused. Here's why (recap):

• Seller states "all returns accepted" (without condition)
  • Seller states "buyer pays return shipping"
    • use of specific word "return" leaves "original shipping" undefined.
  • ebay's Money back policy refers back to seller's policy in buyer's remorse cases
  • ebay's refund policies do not clarify what standard "refunds" include in regards to "full refund", original item price, and/or original shipping costs, and,
  • ebay's return policies state returns "may or may not include original shipping costs", depending on seller's policy. 

Just saying.... seller didn't make himself clear and eBay's policies don't help. Obviously, in future I will either inquire up front or seek "free shipping" listings when in doubt. 

I think you misunderstand.  While the seller may be saying "all returns accepted" you are correct of course that it doesn't state any conditions.  But it also ONLY states they take all returns.  It is silent on who is paying what shipping.  That was the point the other poster was trying to make.

Ebay doesn't allow sellers to have a stated return policy anymore.  They changed that this past summer.  We have 5 return options that are defined by Ebay, not the sellers.  Your seller is 30 days w/Buyer pays shipping.  That means while they will accept your return, if you are returning it for a buyer remorse reason, you are responsible for the cost to ship the item back.  And on the original shipping, if the seller stated the shipping separtely in the listing you purchased from they can withhold that from the refund.  If it was Free Shipping, they can not.

Message 35 of 66
latest reply

I'm not sure if this will help you or not.  But here are the seller's options.  Also please know that Ebay policies are not always clear and concise.  I completely respect your desire to learn what is actually applicable to you.

The return policies options are as follows.

1. No Returns
  2. 30 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  3. 60 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  4. 30 day returns w/ seller pays shipping
  5. 60 day returns w/ seller pays shipping.

On the last two options above, they are also known as Free Returns.  I your seller has either of those policies, the seller will pay your return shipping even on a buyer's remorse return.  And the seller can withhold the original shipping value if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] from your refund.  Also Seller’s offering options 4 or 5 have the ability to do partial refunds in certain cases if the item arrives back damaged, missing something or in a condition less than what it was sent to the buyer in.

On option number 1.  No Returns.  The seller can completely deny taking a return for a Buyer's Remorse Return Request.  Or if they want to they can accept your return and have you pay the return shipping.  If the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping].

On options 2 & 3 the buyer is responsible for the return shipping on a Buyer's Remorse Rreturn.  Plus if the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping].

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html#m17-1-tb1

Message 36 of 66
latest reply

(co written at same time as above)

Thank you. 

Could you provide a link to the policy (and policy section) to confirm what you are saying? That would be very helpful.  This is the type of response I was hoping from someone as my original post asks who is "obligated" to pay original shipping. For anyone else stumbling upon this thread, the link would also be helpful. 

Best regards,

M. 

Message 37 of 66
latest reply

"Because I would not have made the purchase if I wasn't lead to believe it was returnable for "any reason". 

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said.  It appeared to me from that part of your statement that you were implying that the seller was being somewhat deceptive in their listing.  My apologies.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 38 of 66
latest reply

Now we're getting to the bottom of this. 

ebay is mostly to blame I think, here's why... 

• These definitions are not clearly defined to buyers, or easily discoverable, when inspecting a listing. 
  • I've already articulated the circular nature of trying to find the policy, but this is for seller's to see only. 
  • The shipping and returns detail section, when seller chooses "30 day, buyer pays return shipping", leaves massive gap in interpretation. When I hear buyer pays "return", I think (thought before), oh, that must mean that someone else pays the other, or it would surely have said buyer pays "all" shipping.... The use of specific language (eg., "return shipping") narrows the scope of applicability and therefore doesn't address anything outside of that focus (eg., "original shipping"). If that makes sense. 
  • Policies shown to buyers regarding refunds blatently omit inclusions and omissions on refund coverage. 

etc.

M. 

Message 39 of 66
latest reply

What seller sees:

"30 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping"

What buyer sees:

"30 days, money back, buyer pays return shipping."

**bleep**. 

Message 40 of 66
latest reply

@fishrivers wrote:

Now we're getting to the bottom of this. 

ebay is mostly to blame I think, here's why... 

• These definitions are not clearly defined to buyers, or easily discoverable, when inspecting a listing. 
  • I've already articulated the circular nature of trying to find the policy, but this is for seller's to see only. 
  • The shipping and returns detail section, when seller chooses "30 day, buyer pays return shipping", leaves massive gap in interpretation. When I hear buyer pays "return", I think (thought before), oh, that must mean that someone else pays the other, or it would surely have said buyer pays "all" shipping.... The use of specific language (eg., "return shipping") narrows the scope of applicability and therefore doesn't address anything outside of that focus (eg., "original shipping"). If that makes sense. 
  • Policies shown to buyers regarding refunds blatently omit inclusions and omissions on refund coverage. 

etc.

M. 

I get that.  But I honestly don't know why someone would expect someone else to pay for their mistake.  Returns cost a seller money that goes beyond the actual shipping costs.  Most of us here are small one person businesses.  We can't warranty items like a big corporation does yet many people expect us to do.  That includes Ebay.

For myself, I do my very best to take care of all my customers, even if they have a buyer's remorse return request.  I will accept their returns and do my job in a way that has my customers needs at heart.  But when a buyer feels entitled to my money it makes this process especially hard. 

I work here to feed and cloth my kids while remaining available to them as their needs dictate.  I wanted to be the one to raise my own kids.  I'm VERY lucky to be able to do that as my husband agrees with me.  I gave up a high paying career because I felt being here was far more important.  So when I have to pay for something that is not my fault or within my control it hurts my personal budget.  If I make an error, I own it and I do my best to fix it with the least amount of impact on my customer.  

Message 41 of 66
latest reply

@fishrivers wrote:

What seller sees:

"30 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping"

What buyer sees:

"30 days, money back, buyer pays return shipping."

**bleep**. 

Whats the difference.  Sellers know what it means.  What the buyer sees is pretty straight forward.  "Buyer pays shipping".  What is unclear?

Message 42 of 66
latest reply

"...What the buyer sees is pretty straight forward.  "Buyer pays shipping".  What is unclear?"

You mis quoted. That's not what buyer sees. Buyer sees "Buyer pays return shipping." 

That is the crux of this whole thread. Nowhere can buyer find out / see who pays "original shipping" without a lot of effort. The addition of "money back" in shipping details screen adds to the confusion. Which "money" exactly is the policy covering is very hard to find within policies. 

Message 43 of 66
latest reply

@fishrivers wrote:

"...What the buyer sees is pretty straight forward.  "Buyer pays shipping".  What is unclear?"

You mis quoted. That's not what buyer sees. Buyer sees "Buyer pays return shipping." 

That is the crux of this whole thread. Nowhere can buyer find out / see who pays "original shipping" without a lot of effort. The addition of "money back" in shipping details screen adds to the confusion. Which "money" exactly is the policy covering is very hard to find within policies. 

You are absolutely correct, my bad.  I can't answer for what Ebay puts in there.  Sellers can't change it at all.  

Until the last few posts, the "crux" of the thread was your believe that the seller accepts all returns did not mean you had to pay return shipping.  Then you questioned about the original shipping.

With all that said, we have resolved your issue and given you the support for it.  While it may not meet your standards or mine is not the point.  Any policy updates that you may desire or I may desire has to be taken up directly with Ebay.

Message 44 of 66
latest reply

"Until the last few posts, the "crux" of the thread was your believe that the seller accepts all returns did not mean you had to pay return shipping.  Then you questioned about the original shipping."

Sorry, that is not correct:

• I questioned "original shipping" in title of thread and original post! And,
  • I questioned "who is obligated?" under a very specific set of conditions. You've omitted 3 of 4 in your reference. 
  • Also, I had not formed any such a belief (as is clear from my original post and all of my replies).
    • I've been trying to get to the bottom of the original question and have been trying to articulate how there is demonstratable room for misinterpretation, given the seller's listing details combined with ebay's vague and circular policy references as shown to buyers.  I believe I succeeded in this last point. 

And by the way the "bleep" insertion by ebay on one of my posts, was for a PG word for astonishment. No more extraordinary than "whoa". 

I'm fine closing this thread. Though, I prefer not to be misrepresented and misquoted. 

Thanks,

M. 

Message 45 of 66
latest reply