cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's "eBay delivery services"? Slower shipping from US than from China

There's a few times I bought something that's in the US to ship to me in Canada and the shipping shows as "eBay delivery services".

I originally thought it was the Global Shipping Program that was renamed but it's clearly something unrelated and anything shipped this way takes more than 30 days to arrive, it seems to spend at least the first 20 days going from one place to another across the US before finally getting to Canada and then it may be another 1-2 weeks before delivery.

What is this service and how can it possibly be so slow?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

From what I understand Canadian post is extremely slow.

Once the item hit's your shores is that when it is slowing down (as per tracking you can check this).

So long as it reaches you by the EDD shown on your order that is all you can hope for.

I think USPS would be the eBay service that is sending you the item, is it not listed on your order?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I really don’t know why it takes that long. My guess is that the delay is caused when the package is transferred from one service to another.  I’ve never used it but it doesn’t seem all that organized. 

eBay international standard is usually shipped to a US DHL depot and then to DHL here in Canada.  I’m not sure if if is actually DHL that delivers it or if it is passed on to another service.   A couple of times I’ve seen sellers say they were able to ship directly to Canada via USPS through eBay international but that doesn’t  seem to be the norm.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I’m sure that there are times when Canada Post is on the slowish side but generally I wouldn’t consider it a slow service.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

I think USPS would be the eBay service that is sending you the item, is it not listed on your order?

It's done via a handoff from USPS to DHL at a location in California, and DHL takes it to its international destination. (I think you can choose USPS, UPS or FedEx for the domestic leg, but I'm not positive.)

I used that once by accident (didn't notice that it had snuck in as the default shipping method when printing the buyer's label, even though he had paid for Priority Mail International), and it was agonizingly slow to watch the tracking of that one. It got to California all right via USPS, but then it was days before any further tracking via DHL showed on-line.

The Canadian buyer was confused as well, since the initial tracking seemed to stop in California, and he did not know to start following the second (DHL) tracking number at that time. Fortunately he received the package eventually, and I refunded him for the difference in Shipping since that was my fault for not noticing the Priority Mail he'd purchased.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

From what I understand Canadian post is extremely slow.

Once the item hit's your shores is that when it is slowing down (as per tracking you can check this).

So long as it reaches you by the EDD shown on your order that is all you can hope for.

eBay Delivery Services isn't Canada Post, things sent by USPS/Canada post all arrive fast.

It's only when the listing shows "eBay delivery services" instead of USPS or GSP that it takes over 30 days.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply