cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underpaid Postage

I just received an email from ebay informing me that I recently underpaid on postage for a package sent through USPS, but the email states...

"you will not be charged anything now for these items, but we ask that you check your processes to avoid being charged for additional postage in the future."

I went back and checked, and sure enough, I did underpay on a package by a couple bucks, but my question is, why aren't they charging me for it?  The buyer never mentioned anything to me about USPS charging them upon delivery, and the tracking showed "delivered front door/porch", so I'm assuming they didn't try to collect anything upon delivery.  Seems kind of strange that they wouldn't want to collect, and I was in the wrong, so definitely don't mind paying what I owe, but I don't know how I would go about doing it.

Something else I noticed while looking at my records on that transaction, I thought my ebay shipping discount was 10% off, but it looks like they use some kind of backwards mathematics to arrive at the price I'm paying.  Without the discount (disregarding insurance), the postage would have been $7.40.  10% off of that would be- $0.74 which would leave me paying $6.66, but I paid $6.73.  I realized that if I add 10% of $6.73 to that ($6.73+$0.67), it will total up to $7.40, but that's not what I would consider 10% off of the original price.  I'm assuming they use some kind of language that is misleading, like "10% savings" or something of that nature, but I thought that was a pretty sneaky way to represent the discount when I noticed it.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Underpaid Postage

@thinkalittlethisandthat, So just so I understand, what is happening is there is a "punishment" in the extra amount charged? Meaning, the $10 you paid was like the original postage was ignored, and they charged you $10 more?
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

It sounds to me like " over $10" is the total paid.  That the OP paid to ship a 13-ounce package, then USPS claims it weighed 5 ounces more for a total weight of 18 ounces, which would boost it into Priority Mail which had an additional cost of $4.95.  I have never heard of any punitive charges with the APV system; it's supposed to just charge you the underpaid Postage Due.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

I weighed it in at 8oz on my scale. My scale is accurate. They claimed it weighed an additional 5 oz which put it at 13. I still should not have been charged that much more for a 13 ounce package. That goes under First Class and not priority but trying to get anyone at my PO is like pulling teeth.
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

I am going through the same thing.

I shipped a zippo lighter out and I accidentally put 1 oz instead of 4oz.(which is the same price any ways)

They charged me for a 4lb shipping rate. I ship these all the time with 4oz labels and no issues.

The post office sucks

Victoria 

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Underpaid Postage

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread HERE.

Thanks.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply