cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS dimensional weight rate change in June

I hope I did it wrong but I just looked into USPS dimensional weight rate change in June, I sell fishing rods using USPS box that is 38"x6"x5", which run 1-2 lbs but if I did it right dim rate would put them at 7 lb. If I did that right I'm out of business, I just checked on a fishing rod I just sold to WA and will increase shipping $10. Shipping today would be $9.85 and in June it will be $21, even more with increase the 27th. Honestly there's NO way I could double shipping rate and still sell fishing rods, that's half my income, I can't even image the tackle boxes I sell would cost.

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: USPS dimensional weight rate change in June

I got a theory though, I think USPS just wants to get out of the large package business like they did for international shipping. They priced out of the international market when they double rates from $3 to $6 then $12 for 4 oz, I sold world wide, 2016 rates jump to $12 and sales dropped 99%. I stopped international last year, couldn't keep my global TRS rating with 2-3 sales a month, I use to sell 40-60 international sales a month and double that in the winter months from down under.
Message 16 of 49
latest reply

(Ack. The old thread referenced above where I did the calcs with the graphics was wrong - I switched the captions for the 2 diagrams, and it went downhill from there where I used the wrong numbers for the small and medium calculations. Also applied rounding incorrectly. Nobody questioned it in the 4½ years since. Hope I didn't mash this analysis up again Smiley Sad)

>>I use the USPS medium triangle box to ship, max is 59" to zone 5-9, 62" for 1-4 zones, I sell hundreds
>>a rods a year so I know these for sure.

I can't arrive at either of your numbers any way I try to dice and slice it. Based on what calculations?

That Z1-4 62" number is incorrect - until 1/27/19 balloon rating applies, and  84" max - 17" girth = 67" max length before balloon rates would kick in. To arrive at 62" max length the girth would have to be 7"x7"x8" which it clearly is not for an O-1098M tube. (girth numbers are not rounded before or after adding together, but even that wouldn't account for the numbers there)

And I can't come up with anything even close to the 59" zone5-9 number: are you computing tubular package volume using the rectangular formula instead of the non-rectangular formula, or using the right formula with the wrong width and height values?

What are the outside dimensions of the USPS O-1098 tubes you have?

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Going to split remainder of my diatribe into a separate post to follow.

Message 17 of 49
latest reply

Max lengths for USPS O-1098M & O-1098S Triangular Tubes to stay under 1728in³ threshold and avoid dimensional weight issues.

The rectangular volume formula LxWxH does not apply to triangular or round tubes.

https://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q120.htm#ep1023748

Non-rectangular USPS Dimensional Weight formula is L x W x H * 0.785

2018 DMM 223.1.6  (2018)

1.6 Dimensional Weight Price for Low-Density Parcels to Zones 5-9 
Postage for parcels addressed for delivery to Zones 5-9 and exceeding
1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches) is based on the actual weight or the
dimensional weight (as calculated in 1.6.1 or 1.6.2), whichever is greater.
1.6.1 Determining Dimensional Weight for Rectangular Parcels Follow these steps to determine the dimensional weight for a rectangular parcel: a. Measure the length, width, and height in inches. Round off (see 604.7.0) each measurement to the nearest whole inch. b. Multiply the length by the width by the height. c. If the result exceeds 1,728 cubic inches, divide the result by 194 and round up (see 604.7.0) to the next whole number to determine the dimensional weight in pounds.
1.6.2 Determining Dimensional Weight for Nonrectangular Parcels Follow these steps to determine the dimensional weight for a nonrectangular parcel: a. Measure the length, width, and height in inches at their extreme dimensions. Round off (see 604.7.0) each measurement to the nearest whole inch. b. Multiply the length by the width by the height. c. Multiply the result by an adjustment factor of 0.785. d. If the final result exceeds 1,728 cubic inches, divide the result by 194 and round up (see 604.7.0) to the next whole number to determine the dimensional weight in pounds.

(that is the 2018 DMM as the 2019 isn't available yet, but I expect no changes to the above)

USPS O-1098M Medium Tube Max length:

Based on outside dimensions 6¼ x 5¼ x 5¼  which will round off to c=6"  b=5"  a=5" when needed for the final calc, and Girth=16.8"

Using Heron's Formula, for a triangle with sides 6¼", 5¼", and 5¼"Traingle_heights_altitudes_250x150.gif

s=(a+b+c)/2 = (6¼+5¼+5¼) / 2 = 8.375"   and

Area = √(s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c) =  √[8.375(8.375-5.25)(8.375-5.25)(8.375-6.25)]

= 13.18in²

A=½(BxH)  and B=b and H=h   →

h = 2A/b →  h = 2(13.18in²)/5.25" = 5.02"

(matches actual measurement of the O-1098M tube height I have here)

Now we use rounded off dimensions for the final USPS calc:  H=h=5"  and W=b=5"

L(max) = 1728 / (W * H * 0.785)  = 1728 / (b * h  * 0.785) = 1728 /  (5" * 5" * 0.785) = 88.0"

Plugging back into the non-rectangular Dim Weight formula, 88" x 5" x 5" * 0.785 = 1727in³ which is < 1728in³

Thus an O-1098M Medium Triangular tube up to 88" long is not subject to USPS Dim Weight consideration at all.

(that actually goes up to 91" max if we choose the longest side as the "base" in the calculation, which may be USPS's intention based on interpreting the guitar example in the diagram in QSG300 referenced above)

USPS O-1098S Small Tube Max length:

Based on outside dimensions 6 x 6 x 6 which will round off to c=6" b=6" a=6" when needed for the final calc, and Girth=18.2"

Using Heron's Formula, for a triangle with sides 6", 6", and 6"Traingle_heights_altitudes_250x150.gif

s=(a+b+c)/2 = (6+6+6) / 2 = 9" and

Area = √(s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c) = √[9(9-6)(9-6)(9-6)] = 15.59in²

A=½(BxH) and B=b and H=h →

h = 2A/b → h = 2(15.59in²)/6" = 5.2"

(matches actual measurement of the O-1098M tube height I have here)

Now we use rounded off dimensions for the final USPS calc: H=h=5" and W=b=5"

L(max) = 1728 / (W * H * 0.785) = 1728 / (b * h * 0.785) = 1728 / (6" * 5" * 0.785) = 73.38" = 73"

Plugging back into the non-rectangular Dim Weight formula, 73" x 6" x 5" * 0.785 = 1719in³ which is < 1728in³

Thus an O-1098S Small Triangular tube up to 73" long is not subject to USPS Dim Weight consideration at all.

The above max lengths are true today, will be true after 1/27/19 when new USPS rates go into effect*, and will also be true in 6/23/19 - they are dependent only on geometry and the 1728 in² USPS threshold.

Starting 1/27/19, balloon weight considerations will be a thing of the past, so not going to bother with those computations.

*A beneficial quirk of the changes on 1/27/19 and the deferment of the dimensional changes, is that between 1/27/19 and 6/23/19, there will be no balloon rates or dimensional rates to zones 1-4 for Priority Mail. That means the max numbers I computed above are actually not maxima for PM triangular tubes shipping to Z1-4 destinations during that period. The only constraint on those would be L+G needing to remain under the Priority Mail 108" L+G maximum:

O-1098M     Girth=16.8" →  108" Max L+G - 16.8" = 91" →  Zone 1-4   Max length = 91"    during quirk window

O-1098S      Girth=18.2" →  108" Max L+G - 18.2" = 89" → Zone 1-4   Max length = 89"   during quirk window

Starting 6/23/19 the maximum PM O-1098 triangular tube lengths drop back to 88" for M and 73" for S for all zones.

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:
I mainly only sell 2 pc rods and most fit in usps triangle boxes, I cut and add to boxes up to 60", over that shipping jumps over $20 for priority mail. I tried to ship longer rods parcel post, shipping is a little less but by the time I buy those tubes and add to my cost its the same. I've been looking for years to find shipping tubes, the cost to buy from store or to have them shipped to me and also pay for insurance for parcel post comes close to same price. Also my rural carriers can't fit the long rods in their vehicles so add a 25 mile trip to PO. But yea anything over the cubic foot is gonna double in shipping, a few ppl aren't gonna be happy. Like I said probably cut another 10-15% in inventory I can't sell anymore, shipping increase over the last couple years I've had to stop buying and selling about half the fishing lures I use to, can't sell a $3 lure when shipping is $3

When I sold DH's rods that his brothers did not want, the man could have stocked a store. I shipped them in PVC pipe with a bit of heavy fishing line around the handle end securing it to the outside of the pipe to prevent it sliding inside and hitting the tip. DH was a truck driver and had a tube that held a rod & real very similar that he carried on his truck just in case of a layover near water. 

Message 19 of 49
latest reply

I sell guitars. Most of my boxes are 49x20x8. Weight from 12 to 25 lb depending on the case and type. This will KILL my sales.
Message 20 of 49
latest reply

I just noticed that this afternoon after the eBay release and I started to input shipping box dimensions. I switched over my services to FedEx Ground so my buyers do not face shipping sticker shock.
Message 21 of 49
latest reply

@doll-benson wrote:
I sell guitars. Most of my boxes are 49x20x8. Weight from 12 to 25 lb depending on the case and type. This will KILL my sales.

If speedy shipping is not an issue, you can use USPS Retail Ground, which doesn't use dimensional pricing. However, the box you described is greater than 84 inches length+girth, so it would be subject to the minimum 20 lb. balloon rate.

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

@lets-dish-it wrote:
I just noticed that this afternoon after the eBay release and I started to input shipping box dimensions. I switched over my services to FedEx Ground so my buyers do not face shipping sticker shock.

I hope you asked them first. Me I would have been highly **bleep** off, as FedEx is NOT dependable in the least in my area.

Message 23 of 49
latest reply

@pilgrimelectronics wrote: ... If speedy shipping is not an issue, you can use USPS Retail Ground, which doesn't use dimensional pricing.....

The whole point of this thread is that  dimensional pricing will be unavoidable, starting on June 23.

He is already using Parcel Select Ground, which is the online equivalent of Retail Ground (both services used to be known as Parcel Post).

Message 24 of 49
latest reply

@doll-benson 

It has come to my attention that the expansion of dimensional rates will NOT apply to Retail Ground rates.  So if a seller is willing to trek to the Post Office, he can still ship at the regular weight-based rate for packages with a length-plus-girth of 84 inches; and at the 20-pound rate for packages with a length-plus-girth up to 108 inches.

https://pe.usps.com/resources/PriceChange/June%202019%20-%20Notice123.pdf

Some Post offices won't sell Retail Ground postage unless ground shipping is required by USPS regulations (e.g., hazmat). Stock up on perfume samples so you can include one in your package.

Message 25 of 49
latest reply

Thanks, 

I went back and reread the whole thing and figured out how the rate will work.  I was about to relist 90% of my inventory to calculated shipping and I may do that anyway.

Message 26 of 49
latest reply

I know "Free Shipping" sells product but I may list some of my products with calculated shipping and see if the smart shopper shop it and figure it out.
Message 27 of 49
latest reply

Shipping is eating me alive too. I may just reduce prices and go to calculated shipping and let chips fall where they may.
Message 28 of 49
latest reply

What will it cost UPS?
Message 29 of 49
latest reply

I sell colognes and perfumes.  Average shipping weight for a  7"X4"X4" box is 12-14oz.  My shipping rates just went up for USPS First Class Mail from (top rate) $5.66 to (top rate) $9.70 (same as priority mail rate).  At those rates I'll be paying buyers to purchase from me.  This is ridiculous.  I can't survive making a dollar or less profit per product.  It's just not worth the work of listing and bookkeeping.  To top it off sales are going to drop with the imposition of sales tax now added to customers purchases.  Has eBay considered trying to negotiate a better price with the post office than what is currently being offered?  Profit margins are real slim to begin with but at this rate I'll have no choice but to stop selling on eBay. 

Message 30 of 49
latest reply