cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS delivering later and later

Over the past 6 months or so (indicating that it's not seasonal) I've noticed a trend in the lateness of USPS deliveries. I'm not talking about the day, I'm talking about the time. I used to get deliveries both at work and at home around 11am (for many years, mind you), this turned to 1pm, then 3pm, then 4pm. Now it's very common for deliveries to come at 5pm or later, which means that they often cannot get into my building at work to deliver.

Anyone else seeing the same?

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: USPS delivering later and later

I live in a town of about 14,000 and I know our post office employees well, as well as my local carrier.  They are hiring all positions.  When people go on vacation or our sick they can barely function.  On Tuesday, after the holiday we didn't get our mail until 7:30 p.m. usually we get it by 2:30 p.m. or so.  I saw my carrier on Wednesday and he said that he was off and that they were working on a very small crew that day.

We have seen this off and on since 2021.  Last winter we didn't even get the mail 3 or 4 days due to our carrier not showing up to work due to snow (which has never happened in the past)  So yea, I am seeing the same thing.  The latest we got mail in 2021 was around 9 p.m. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Our mail has been consistently delivered between about 2:30-4 PM for quite a while now.

Except, of course, for the one time I was expecting a large international package that I was going to need to sign for and figured I could run a couple of errands in the morning and be back by the time the mail came.  That was the day he came to deliver the package at 11:45, LOL.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

USPS started this new policy where employees can move from one state to another under company move.

So there are a lot of employees  moving from one state to another still having their job.

A lot do not know the routes and such. Some get to move even though there are not replacements. The clerks in my post office told me. I don't expect it to get any better. You can always change your delivery before the second attempt for delivery . USPS can delivery until 8PM. Should be interesting during this holiday season.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

just the opposite for me. For 30 years we always got our mail late in the day anywhere from 3:30 -5:30.

Now for about 2 months we been getting it anywhere from 9-10:30 in the morning.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

"Now it's very common for deliveries to come at 5pm or later, which means that they often cannot

get into my building at work to deliver."

You are on a route deemed unworthy. Same happened to me. I am 2 blocks from

the main business district but I might as well be located in Siberia.

Here some routes are where the important people on and the rest get mail service

when the post office gets to it. They may skip my route 2 days a week, maybe 3 days.

This problem started before Covid, the post office can not hold onto help and

they are always hiring.

I mailed a payment to my electric company from a location 3 blocks from the payment

office (they no longer accepted in person payments). It took 10 business day to

go to 3 blocks and the payment became late.

I just hope ebay realizes how bad the postal service is anymore.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Seems like an issue you'd want to address with your local Postmaster; however, given the current turmoil in that area, I wouldn't bother.  Many POs are working short-staffed.  Personally, unless you've ordered some life-saving item, I'd just cut them some slack.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi @gkn29 

I haven’t noticed later USPS deliveries … except for when my regular carrier is off.  

What I HAVE noticed, however, is that my post office currently delivers packages 7 days a week … including holidays.  I hadn’t been aware of any change in policy … and was surprised to discover a delivery on the new Juneteenth holiday.   

I’m mentioning this in case others were slow to pick up on a possible  delivery change in their towns.  It’s not likely that packages will remain on most porches overnight. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply