cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Employees Not Aware that First Class is 16 Oz now, not 13 Oz

Found out today that many USPS employees including the postmaster at the local office do not seem to know that First Class is 16 ounces now, not 13. I was charged an additional 8.14 on a package that weighed 16 ounces when I already paid 4.23 for a first class label and I had to open a dispute today with them because now I am out 12.37 for a 16 ounce first class package which is ridiculous. If first class did not cover 16 ounces I would of used priority and paid 6.90 instead so this is a heads up to other sellers to watch for them overcharging us and that USPS has not even informed their staff that this changed to 16 ounces over a year ago.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: USPS Employees Not Aware that First Class is 16 Oz now, not 13 Oz

No it is not. It is up to 16 ounces as you can clearly see on Ebay shipping. I have been doing this for many years and that is hardly the problem anyway. They have employees who do not know it is 16 ounces, not 13 through Ebay.
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

No it is not. It is 16 ounces and that is not the actual problem if you read the message. They are not counting anything over 13 ounces as first class via Ebay.
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

If you printed your labels here, you'd never even half to talk to aomeone.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 18 of 29
latest reply

You might want to look at the shipping calculator in Ebay. It charges and prints first class labels up to and including 16 ounces so you are misinformed.
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Doesn't matter who you believe. The shipping calculator in Ebay charges and prints first class labels up to and including 16 ounces.
Message 20 of 29
latest reply

The Ebay online shipping charges and prints first class up to and including 16 ounces which is correct. Anything OVER 16 ounces is no longer first class. No idea why people don't get this when it is right there for everyone to see in Ebay shipping.
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

I don't use clerks, I ship directly via Ebay and they pick the packages up from me. This dispute opened because an employee on the west coast overcharged me after the item was delivered and took the funds from Paypal so it does not matter what the local post office does. I stopped shipping to APO's because of those issues when I did take items to the PO to ship but that is no longer an issue since I ship online now.
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

No it does not, Ebay online shipping includes 16 ounces as first class.
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@bewitched777 wrote:

If you look at the actual label, it says 15.9 because it seems the best that the eBay programmers can do.  And yes, even the label purchase dropdown says 16 oz, but it really should be 15.99.

The Commercial weight for First Class Packages goes to 15.99 based on the DMM / Notice 123

There is no First Class Commercial Rate for $4.23

15.99 oz is $4.94

Priority Rates for a 1 lb package go up to $8.45 for Zone 8 (There is a Zone 9 charge $10.60 but that's rare)

Priority 2 lbs Zone 8 is $12.90

Even though I can't make your numbers completely jive, based on the information your provided about an extra  $8 charge on top of the $4 charge, it looks like USPS determined your package weighed more than 1 lb.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@bewitched777 wrote:
The Ebay online shipping charges and prints first class up to and including 16 ounces which is correct. Anything OVER 16 ounces is no longer first class. No idea why people don't get this when it is right there for everyone to see in Ebay shipping.

The limit per USPS is 15.999 ounces, not 16 ounces. If eBay says one thing and USPS temselves says another, then of course the USPS source is correct.  Several references from USPS have been provided above.  eBay's label form rounds this off to 16 ounces, but the label itself does NOT say 16 ounces.

No idea why people don't get this when it is right there in every USPS reference to online First Class package shipping.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Clearly the OP knows more than the USPS & all the posters here.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@bewitched777 wrote:
I was charged 12.37 total as my message states on a 16 oz package which is first class via Ebay shipping, that is why I have an open dispute going with them.

I think you are looking at the wrong problem.  IF USPS was just upgrading you to priority mail less than 16 oz, they wouldn't be charging you 12 bucks and change.  One pound tops out at $10.05 to zone 9.

It seems more likely USPS is either thinking your weight is OVER 16 oz, or maybe that you're using a PM Flat Rate box.  Even then, the math doesn't work for me, but it gets closer.

As far as the Great Debate over 16 oz vs 15.999 oz, who cares?  Unless you are selling something that, all packed up, weighs EXACTLY 16 oz - and your scale is certified accurate to 1/1000th of an ounce, it doesn't matter one bit.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I've shipped a ton of packages 1st class that weigh between 13oz and 15.9oz and never had postage due on any of them.  It's a wonderful thing. 

As far as ebay labels go, any item that weighs over 15oz but less than 16oz has to be rounded to 16oz to print, but when it prints it will properly show 15.9 on the label. 

If the item was really 16 oz, then it will have postage due if shipped 1st class and if it was 16.anything it will be charged priority at the 2 pound rate.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@bewitched777 wrote:

Ebay can say anything it wants, but the cold hard truth is USPS First Class Parcel tops out at 15.9 ounces.

http://blog.stamps.com/2016/01/22/first-class-package-service-summary-of-2016-usps-rate-increase/

Message 29 of 29
latest reply