cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS Weight Adjustmens

Has anybody had bad experiences with UPS shipping adjustments? I shipped a 4 pound item.  After delivery UPS said it weighed 13 pounds and billed me $7.32.  UPS would not fix as the account is with eBay.  EBAy would not fix because less than $10.  

It has happened 3 times.  Sounds like a class action lawsuit to me.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

UPS Weight Adjustmens

@joeysstuff999 wrote:

Has anybody had bad experiences with UPS shipping adjustments? I shipped a 4 pound item.  After delivery UPS said it weighed 13 pounds and billed me $7.32.

It is important to understand that when you send a package via UPS (or FedEx), the billable weight will be the greater of the scale weight and the dimensional weight.

The UPS dimensional weight is calculated with the formula [height] x [width] x [length] / 139 ... using inches as the dimension, and rounding up to the nearest whole number.   FedEx uses this same divisor*, and the USPS will use a divisor of 166 if the package is over 1 cubic foot.

For example, if you ship a 12x12x12 package via UPS that has a scale weight of 4 pounds, you will be billed for 13 pounds because the dimensional weight of 12.4 pounds is greater than the scale weight.

*There was a time a couple of years ago that FedEx labels purchased through eBay used a divisor of 139, but I don't know if that is true any longer ... we stopped using FedEx when their eBay negotiated rates became higher than USPS Ground.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

UPS Weight Adjustmens

Need more information to help you.

What were the dimensions of the package?

What were the to/from Zip Codes?

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

UPS Weight Adjustmens

@joeysstuff999 wrote:

Has anybody had bad experiences with UPS shipping adjustments? I shipped a 4 pound item.  After delivery UPS said it weighed 13 pounds and billed me $7.32.

It is important to understand that when you send a package via UPS (or FedEx), the billable weight will be the greater of the scale weight and the dimensional weight.

The UPS dimensional weight is calculated with the formula [height] x [width] x [length] / 139 ... using inches as the dimension, and rounding up to the nearest whole number.   FedEx uses this same divisor*, and the USPS will use a divisor of 166 if the package is over 1 cubic foot.

For example, if you ship a 12x12x12 package via UPS that has a scale weight of 4 pounds, you will be billed for 13 pounds because the dimensional weight of 12.4 pounds is greater than the scale weight.

*There was a time a couple of years ago that FedEx labels purchased through eBay used a divisor of 139, but I don't know if that is true any longer ... we stopped using FedEx when their eBay negotiated rates became higher than USPS Ground.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply