cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS Claim Payment Was Sent to eBay

I didn't realize that UPS shipments had a separate insurance claim process with eBay. Anyways, I shipped something and it was deemed loss. I started the claim process on UPS website, which apparently was the incorrect process for eBay items shipped via UPS.

Anyways, UPS issued an insurance claim payment but they sent it to eBay HQ since it's their account and are listed as the shipper of record. I'm trying my hardest to get this insurance claim back to me. eBay customer service just doesn't seem to understand what I'm trying to say and UPS says that they can't void the check. I was provided a check number, though. 

Is there any way to reach someone at eBay accounting outside of sending them a certified letter ? 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: UPS Claim Payment Was Sent to eBay

Oh, that's funny. eBay gets you coming and going with UPS and FedEx. I'd suggest the social media route next.

You leave a message and an eBay employee will get back to you as soon as possible. To speed things up you can leave your registered account information in the PRIVATE message: Full name, address, phone number, email address, user ID, and a brief explanation of your problem.

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Same thing happened to me. UPS sent the check to Ebay 8/10. Last week Ebay said they got it and that the money would be put into my managed payments account by 9/5. Nothing and once again I am back to square one on the phone with Ebay. What a bloated company.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@recoilrob @uglyboxgoodies Did you ever get yours?  I'm going through this right now.  The payment hasn't been sent yet, but I can't get through to anyone at UPS either.  They are now even telling me that they can't tell me anything about the claim because the paperwork is under ebay's account, even though I'm the one that submitted the paperwork, talked to the claims rep about it, and the claim is on my UPS account dashboard.  Very annoying.  Is using my own account to ship the only way to avoid this in the future?

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I never received my payment from Ebay. It is bordering on criminal now that they are effectively stealing from me.

I called again after I first posted and again was assured the payment would be in my account within a week. Another lie.

Never use UPS through Ebay.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Further info...

I called in again to Ebay and requested an agent in the US. I was told that there is a protocol in place for this situation, Ebay sends the check back to UPS and requests it be reissued direct to the shipper. 

When I asked why 2 agents had told me otherwise she couldn't answer but I suspect it was to placate me.

Also, it takes Ebay up to two weeks to get the check back to UPS and another 4 weeks for the check to be reissued.

She was very helpful, so let's see if this will work.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@bitcollect wrote:

@recoilrob @uglyboxgoodies Did you ever get yours?  I'm going through this right now.  The payment hasn't been sent yet, but I can't get through to anyone at UPS either.  They are now even telling me that they can't tell me anything about the claim because the paperwork is under ebay's account, even though I'm the one that submitted the paperwork, talked to the claims rep about it, and the claim is on my UPS account dashboard.  Very annoying.  Is using my own account to ship the only way to avoid this in the future?

If you create a the label with UPS.com yourself, you become the shipper of record and any insurance payment for damage or loss (assuming that you purchased the insurance) would be payable to you directly. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@recoilrob wrote:

Further info...

I called in again to Ebay and requested an agent in the US. I was told that there is a protocol in place for this situation, Ebay sends the check back to UPS and requests it be reissued direct to the shipper. 

When I asked why 2 agents had told me otherwise she couldn't answer but I suspect it was to placate me.

Also, it takes Ebay up to two weeks to get the check back to UPS and another 4 weeks for the check to be reissued.

She was very helpful, so let's see if this will work.

That is some odd "protocol" to send an insurance check back to UPS and ask them to reissue that payment to someone else that UPS does not show as the shipper of record...seems to me that it would be 100 times easier for ebay to deposit the check from UPS into their commercial checking account and then post it as a credit to you via their Managed Payments system.  

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Circling back to this...

I spoke to a few Ebay reps over a period of a month, I got differing stories, but what the US rep told me turned out to be true, the check went back to UPS. I requested a phone call from a UPS rep, about 2 weeks later they called. They have a special department that deals with Ebay, 1-800-430-2055, ask for an Ebay agent.

The UPS agent told me the check would e forthcoming, it showed up today.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@bitcollect wrote:

They are now even telling me that they can't tell me anything about the claim because the paperwork is under ebay's account, even though I'm the one that submitted the paperwork, talked to the claims rep about it, and the claim is on my UPS account dashboard.  

When you purchased the UPS Shipping is eBay and their address listed as the shipper on your label?

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Yet another good reason to use your own UPS account and not have ebay in the middle.  The account is free and if you link it to your PayPal account you will get the same discounts using the UPS website.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

The problem with this is you lose the massive discount you get via purchasing a label through ebay.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@oemauto  If you link your own UPS account to PayPal, the UPS websites discounts are very close to ebay's discounts.  Equal or even better discounts than ebay can be had by using a free PirateShip account, which integrates with ebay.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

As I read through these posts I am seeing everything that I am currently experiencing.  Shipped item on 7/23/2022,  lost on  7/25/2022.  I initiated a claim with UPS on 8/4/2022  (claim # 42526925501A)  - showed on my dashboard and was told claim would be adjudicated and, if approved, would get reimbursement - about 10 working days.  No check as of today 8/30/2022 - contacted UPS - said they issued check on 8/11 but sent to EBAY.. I got check number but not the amount of reimbursement.  Told to call EBAY to get my money back. Talked to EBAY and after multiple calls back and forth to EBAY and UPS have been told that EBAY will initiate an appeal  of the EBAY judgement in favor of my buyer to make the case that the lost shipment was not my fault.  EBAY agent indicated that I should hear via email from EBAY shortly  (2-3 days) and hopefully get reimbursed from EBAY since they supposedly have my money that was reimbursed by UPS. EBAY did nothing to help me file a claim with UPS but they were very quick to claw back from my bank account the funds that my buyer had sent. I totally agree with reimbursement to my buyer but I need EBAY to help to get my funds back since they apparently have had them for some time.  This started as a UPS screw up  but it has taken me well over 20 hours  (YES TWENTY HOURS) on the phone going through  the runaround and I am still not compensated 40 days later - this is ridiculous - very poor system to correct problems when they come up - I am sure that shipping losses come up occasionally and there should be a well defined and published process for resolving-  in many businesses that work hard at doing things right the first time as expected, a better measure of their skill and expertise is how well they correct problems and put systems in place to avoid them and mitigate problems in the future - my experience gives UPS and EBAY a grade "F" on this.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Again this is why not to use UPS or FedEx, which is even worse, through ebay.  With your own account you can deal with problems directly to easily resolve them and get any refund credited directly to your account.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply