cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS upcarges

I recently shipped a golf club using the UPS shipper thru Ebay. The package was 1 lb 9 oz and measured 38" x 6 x6.  rounded the weight to 2 lbs for safety. Cost of shipping was estimated at $8.40.  after the package was delivered Ebay charged me $21.15. Before I called Ebay to dispute the charges I visited UPS location and asked for  a shipping rate based on the same package dimensions to the exact address it was delivered. I was quoted a price of $15.27 and included the standard $100 package insurance.

Then I called Ebay to dispute the shipping charges. I was told they would file a claim with UPS on my behalf. I explained to the customer serv rep at Ebay that $21.15 far exceeded and charges I would have paid if I did go thru Ebay and theoretically would save the infamous 44% as a Ebay seller.

Well this is the reply I received after my dispute was submitted.  

After reviewing your request, UPS was correct with the charges.  You were charged an additional handling charge.  Unfortunately, additional handling charges are not something that we can credit back to you.

I understand you were hoping for a different response, but I'm glad I've had the opportunity to clarify the situation.

Thanks,

Lauren

eBay Customer Support

I guess selling thru Ebay is no longer an option

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

UPS upcarges

@sparkyo1joe 

Now that you know how much it actually costs to ship long items such as golf clubs, you should go in and revise  the shipping in all your current listings. They too will be incorrect. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

UPS upcarges

Are you sure you entered the correct package size?  Shipping goes by both size and weight.   That cost of 8.40 seems to low for an over size package.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

UPS upcarges

This may not even be current...but...

What is the ups surcharge of $12?
This $12 surcharge is applied to packages in several instances: Large Package Surcharge – For domestic shipments, UPS defines a “Large Package” when its length (longest side of the package) plus girth [(2 x width) + (2 x height)] combined exceeds 130 inches and is less than 165 inches, or its length exceeds 96 inches.
38x6x6=1368.
Looks like that extra cubic 68 gotcha.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

UPS upcarges

My math was off....forgot the TWICE the height and width...so you were even further over the limit.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

UPS upcarges

@sparkyo1joe 

Now that you know how much it actually costs to ship long items such as golf clubs, you should go in and revise  the shipping in all your current listings. They too will be incorrect. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

UPS upcarges

It doesn't matter, UPS and Fedex always says the estimated cost. You can almost be guaranteed your price will change. That's why I use USPS which is the cost based on info you give them.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

UPS upcarges

This same thing is happening to me with golf clubs and it's very frustrating.  If there are surcharges for "large packages" why doesn't ebay shipping account for this, calculate it up front, and let you know so you can make an informed decision on which shipping method to use?  To call it an "estimate" just means they can do anything they want later.  I understand if you error with your dimensions or weight, but if you're accurate they shouldn't be coming up with new charges after the fact.  If they want to raise their rates, fine, but be up front about it.

USPS is no longer a very good option because they more than doubled their rates for longer golf club size boxes.

I'm shipping a golf club today.  The weight is accurate, the dimensions are accurate and FedEx says I can ship it "2 day" for $16.29 (85% ebay discount).  So what am I to do?  Believe it or not?  Is it just a come on and a scam?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

UPS upcarges

@buy1_4me wrote:

This same thing is happening to me with golf clubs and it's very frustrating.  If there are surcharges for "large packages" why doesn't ebay shipping account for this, calculate it up front, and let you know so you can make an informed decision on which shipping method to use?  To call it an "estimate" just means they can do anything they want later.  I understand if you error with your dimensions or weight, but if you're accurate they shouldn't be coming up with new charges after the fact.  If they want to raise their rates, fine, but be up front about it.

USPS is no longer a very good option because they more than doubled their rates for longer golf club size boxes.

I'm shipping a golf club today.  The weight is accurate, the dimensions are accurate and FedEx says I can ship it "2 day" for $16.29 (85% ebay discount).  So what am I to do?  Believe it or not?  Is it just a come on and a scam?

Go to www.fedex.com and pull a quote there. BE SURE to enter all the correct information, and don't forget the "this is a residence" button. If you have an account with FedEx you will be quoted the discount price. If you have an account and you are satisfied with the price then ship it on fedex.com instead of eBay. If you don't have an account and you expect to use FedEx frequently it is a good idea to have your own account thus bypassing eBay where you obviously question their accuracy..

Message 8 of 8
latest reply