cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today I despise the incompetency of the USPS

On Monday, June 1 a postal employee scanned my eBay bulk shipping Scan Forms for my outgoing packages as being DELIVERED instead of being ACCEPTED.  Two big overflowing mail tubs full.  

Those of you who have experienced the nastiness of buyers who receive a message from eBay that their item had been delivered on the same day it was shipped - without even checking the tracking or pondering how something 5 states away could arrive in an hour or two - know what a hateful mess you have to deal with.

Inundated with nasty messages from buyers demanding an immediate refund, threats to report you to eBay and claims for item not received being opened against you.  Those who open INR claims don't even bother to contact you first. 

The USPS did update all tracking numbers on June 2 which prove the items were shipped on the date promised (June 1) and are on their way to the buyers.  None of these buyers bothered to check the updated tracking in their Purchase History.

I have been dealing with this since Tuesday, June 2 and it just keeps getting worse.  Just had another INR claim filed against me even through his package tracking shows it arrived in New Jersey today (his state of residence).  He was given the delivery date of June 8 by eBay.  Filed a claim 3 days before the estimated delivery date.

Umpteen hours daily have been wasted on this mess.

And of course there's the 1,000's of packages that have disappeared into the bottomless abyss known as the Detroit sorting facility.  True, 2 local Post Office supervisors have told me on several occasions that Detroit is a mess and has no idea where 1,000's of packages are.  Many were shipped to other facilities without being scanned so nobody knows where they are.  I am waiting for several  of my shipping supply purchases that disappeared in Detroit the beginning of May.   

Sorry for the rant but good grief, selling online is sure not the fun it used to be. 

And why are people so mean these days?  On the way to the PO today I saw a woman who looked to be about 90 years old stick her arm out her window and flip off the driver behind her who honked when she didn't step on the gas fast enough when the traffic light turned green.  Seriously!  

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Today I despise the incompetency of the USPS

I don't have a reply to your message, I like reading these boards.  Just out of curiosity I wanted to see what you are selling. I love your coloring books! I haven't colored in over fifty years. Now, I'm just trying to decide which books to order.

: )

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

well, to the nastier buyers who can;t appreciate human error perhaps it is good to be a little bit nasty too.

Tell them that once the package shows delivered you can't do anything about it. Tell them to go to their post office and talk with the postmaster and demand the explanation.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

"And why are people so mean these days? On the way to the PO today I saw a woman who looked to be about 90 years old stick her arm out her window and flip off the driver behind her who honked when she didn't step on the gas fast enough when the traffic light turned green. Seriously!"

She used to be known as the Terror of Colorado Boulevard.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I've had to deal with this situation twice ... it is a royal pain.  As soon as it is discovered, I try to get ahead of the problem and communicate proactively with every customer letting them know what happened.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

How about a fellow Ebay seller from Michigan buying something then pitching a fit because their package is delayed due to, and being informed about, the Detroit USPS mess but seeing fit to mention "very slow shipping" as a false positive in  feedback they left so that it can't be removed.

Nice!

Yeah, Karma and all that....

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

First off, carriers are human and our scanners are old. Meaning that mine has a screen that I can no longer read in bright light due to the scratches. It is possible to accidently scroll past prepaid acceptance to delivered. It is easy to have those scans fixed. 

I would just reply to any buyer that messages about it that , you are aware of the mistake the carrier made in scanning and the Postmaster is working on correcting them.

As for Detroit, 2 of the 3 sorting centers were closed down with outbreaks of covid 19 as were others across the nation. These all work 24/7 so there is little room for the third center to take up much slack.

Sorry you are having problems but seriously think of us at USPS and other carriers. Our number of workers are cut either by getting sick or taken off the work force due to being high risk. At the same time a heck of a lot of people were home relieving boredom by buying things on line. Most days this past month I have not been able to fit all my packages in my Jeep. (I'll switch to my phone and post you some pictures).  I haven't made it back in evaluated time more than three days in the past 3 weeks. WE DO NOT GET PAID OVERTIME.  This will go onto the years hours and if I go over, meaning if I don't have enough light days to balance it out then I will have to take days off to do so at the end of the year.  

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

20190703_082743.jpg

20190703_082723.jpg

  

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

So you dont think it's just one day.  I have been taking these to show how blocked my disability is.  

20200505_090929.jpg

20200514_092125.jpg

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Dang auto correct. That's VISABILITY not disability.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@div_style wrote:

"And why are people so mean these days? On the way to the PO today I saw a woman who looked to be about 90 years old stick her arm out her window and flip off the driver behind her who honked when she didn't step on the gas fast enough when the traffic light turned green. Seriously!"

She used to be known as the Terror of Colorado Boulevard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^^^^ LOVE IT!!!!  That is so funny. 

Thanks for the humor - I needed it  😁

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@thecollegefund wrote:

How about a fellow Ebay seller from Michigan buying something then pitching a fit because their package is delayed due to, and being informed about, the Detroit USPS mess but seeing fit to mention "very slow shipping" as a false positive in  feedback they left so that it can't be removed.

Nice!

Yeah, Karma and all that....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^^ Sorry this happened to you.  

I now have a positive feedback with a comment about not getting her item and wants a replacement or refund.  This from one who sent me a message threatening to report me to eBay is I didn't respond to her immediately.

I replied to the feedback about the post office mistake in scanning.

On the good side she can't come back and leave me a neg. 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

First off, carriers are human and our scanners are old. Meaning that mine has a screen that I can no longer read in bright light due to the scratches. It is possible to accidently scroll past prepaid acceptance to delivered. It is easy to have those scans fixed. 

I would just reply to any buyer that messages about it that , you are aware of the mistake the carrier made in scanning and the Postmaster is working on correcting them.

As for Detroit, 2 of the 3 sorting centers were closed down with outbreaks of covid 19 as were others across the nation. These all work 24/7 so there is little room for the third center to take up much slack.

Sorry you are having problems but seriously think of us at USPS and other carriers. Our number of workers are cut either by getting sick or taken off the work force due to being high risk. At the same time a heck of a lot of people were home relieving boredom by buying things on line. Most days this past month I have not been able to fit all my packages in my Jeep. (I'll switch to my phone and post you some pictures).  I haven't made it back in evaluated time more than three days in the past 3 weeks. WE DO NOT GET PAID OVERTIME.  This will go onto the years hours and if I go over, meaning if I don't have enough light days to balance it out then I will have to take days off to do so at the end of the year.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^^ Yes, I and most people on the boards know you work for the USPS.  Thank you for your service.

Yes, we are all aware of the effect the Covid-19 virus has had on the postal workforce and I am aware that several USPS employees have passed away from the virus.  Very sad for the families and very stressful for employees who worked alongside those infected.

There is no need to shout that you do not get paid overtime.  Many of us do not.  I understand your frustration.

I am sorry the USPS has chosen not to upgrade your hand held scanners.   Perhaps the Letter Carriers Union could do something about that.  And you have mentioned on the boards several times that your delivery vehicle could stand replacement.  Not fair that some USPS drivers in larger cities are driving brand new SUV's and vans.

While yes, people are only human and errors do occur,  the fact remains that the Detroit facilities cannot handle the volume of packages routed there and sellers are suffering both monetary losses and verbal abuse from angry buyers who are given a delivery date that is not being met.  

Who reimburses sellers for lost income and lost product?

Best wishes to you and again, thank you for your service.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

They have not, not chosen to upgrade the scanners the roll out of them has been delayed by the virus. 

I did not mean to shout but I have had many people accuse me of padding my paycheck.

"Why are you so late getting here, are you getting overtime" , " You should thank me for subscribing with Amazon, you get paid overtime to deliver it" .

That second one is a lady that subscribes her TP, paper towels, energy drinks, and some other things that I can't tell what they are by the box. to the tune of 5-6 large boxes a week.  I have a lot that subscribe their diapers and cases of wipes. These I do not begrudge  at all with the pandemic people should not be taking babies and young children to the stores right now.  But sorry I have 5 cats and 4 dogs, I'm not going to ask anyone else to shlep my dog food or cat litter.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

And another item not received claim was just filed against my account from the June 1 postal scan mess.  

And yep, the tracking clearly shows item has been sitting in the Detroit facility since June 2.

I sincerely hope this type of snafu never happens to any of you.   

Message 15 of 17
latest reply