cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THIS JUST IN...Magazines now ok for Media Mail says Buyer with 40 years shipping experience!

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

THIS JUST IN...Magazines now ok for Media Mail says Buyer with 40 years shipping experience!

@snowbirdliquidations wrote:

There is sort of a gray area loophole in that magazines which do not contain advertisements could possibly be considered a pass by technicality. If you are sending something such as Consumer Reports, for example, there are no ads that would disqualify it. However, a gray area like that can be up for interpretation and it is common knowledge that not all postal employees are consistent. If under 16 ounces, then better off spending a buck or two more to upgrade to first class package service level.

Nope, no grey area. Magazines are Periodicals. Periodicals DO NOT qualify for Media Mail, this is what disqualifies  comics too.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 21 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

This just in:

Your buyer is full of baloney. If they've really been shipping books and magazines for forty years, then they're also a Postal cheat because I guarandangtee you that they know exactly what they're doing, and hope that you are dumb enough to believe them.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Not the first time I've gotten messages like this but this one is the most interesting just how convincing he tries to be. 

Clearly, ebay is not doing enough to educate buyers on this topic......

It shouldn't always be on us sellers to constantly have to reply to these messages encouraging media mail abuse!!! 

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

20 years of carrying mail for USPS. Magazines DO NOT qualify for Media Mail.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

A seller/buyer who is a dishonest with the USPS will also be  dishonest with other eBay members ...

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

They might have gotten away with it but it's not allowed.  These days the postal service inspects a lot more media mail packages too. 

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

20 years of carrying mail for USPS. Magazines DO NOT qualify for Media Mail

But the message in the op's post is from someone with 40 YEARS experience!

So 40 is double 20 so that person must be right!

OP Do not listen to someone from the USPS that knows silly little things like rules!

Listen to the person that KNOWS that you are charging too much shipping!

LMAO

( Please note the above post is sarcastic & done while LMAO. I type disclaimers like this since on the internet posts can sometimes be misconstrued. )

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

[snipped]

Your interested buyer is muddling together books (which are valid as Media Mail) and magazines (which are not).

Just send him the following link to USPS' own rulings on what does or does not qualify, and don't bother engaging him in further debate. 

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm 

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

A seller/buyer who is a dishonest with the USPS will also be  dishonest with other eBay members ...

That's exactly why I blocked him with no response. I no longer make it my job to correct people. I'm a cop and salesman...not a teacher.

This type of messaging tactic might work on Rookie sellers desperate for a sale, but if this guy took the time to look at my number he would've known he's just wasting his time.

However, messages like this shows a deeper, more rooted problem....

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Ironic, because buyers that say silly stuff like that do not qualify for my shipping requirements.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Come on now, do you believe everything you see and hear? That buyer is full of it and needs to blocked.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Sorry -- I prefer my information to come from the source of the service, which would be the USPS, not some random eBayer who is trying to get a seller to break the law.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Lots of things got by as "media mail" in the past.

If I went to look, I could probably locate a box of small automotive electrical parts, sitting on a shelf in the cellar, that were sent to me by an eBay seller, using media mail.

I noticed that it had a media mail label on it about a year ago, but do not remember if I noticed that when it arrived several years ago.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Sorry -- I prefer my information to come from the source of the service, which would be the USPS, not some random eBayer who is trying to get a seller to break the law.

Which is my point for this post.

I propose ebay discipline buyers who encourage sellers to, as you put it..."Break the law". A warning first...then more sanctions if they continue. 

As it stands right now, all the repercussions are on the seller, however all these buyers who encourage media mail abuse are not innocent bystanders. 

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

[snipped]

Your interested buyer is muddling together books (which are valid as Media Mail) and magazines (which are not).

Just send him the following link to USPS' own rulings on what does or does not qualify, and don't bother engaging him in further debate. 

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm 

I doubt judging by the tone of his message that he is simply just ignorant to the rules. 

This guy knows exactly what he's doing.....

Message 15 of 29
latest reply