cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Melamine bowls?

Buyer purchased a set of four brand new heavy thickness popular brand melamine pasta bowls.  Each bowl was inspected before packaging and found to be in brand new perfect condition.  Bowls had paper between each, stack was taped together on two sides to prevent shifting and give stability, wrapped in heavy duty foam, placed in heavy duty box with packing peanuts, sealed and shipped via USPS Priority Mail.  I have shipped tons of melamine pieces the same way without any breakage or scratching occurring.

Buyer claims when she opened the box the center two bowls were broken.  How odd, only the center two bowls.  She said the unopened box was in perfect condition with no damage.  She first asked for a partial refund.  Now she wants to keep the two unbroken and return the broken ones for a refund.  I politely refused and explained that she needs to return the entire set for a refund so I can return them to my supplier and get my purchase price back.  No matter how I look at it, I am going to lose money.

Melamine is very durable and is known to be virtually unbreakable.   My pieces have been dropped more times than I can count over the years and never a crack nor break.

Any thoughts on how this odd breakage happened? 

With the Covid prevention recommendations out there, is it possible she opened the box in her garage or on her patio, peeled the tape from one side and the center bowls fell out onto the concrete because she wasn't holding on to them or did not place them on a flat surface?  In the photo she sent it appears both bowls were broken on the same edge of the pattern.  That's the only scenario I can think of that fits.    

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Broken Melamine bowls?

Could it be that she has purchase yours to replace her already broken bowls?

Are yours unique?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

Could it be that sometimes shipping damage just cannot be explained by logic. Were they x-rayed for hidden damage?

Why don't we just go with something happened and rather than conclude your buyer is a liar and a crook use the photos (that the buyer did NOT have to provide...that is another topic) and file for postal insurance online and move on.

Oh, refund first. Do you want your buyer to file a claim and have eBay make you provide a label to get broken stuff back?

Radine

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

I'd recommend that you stick to your guns. You need all four bowls returned. You are a TRS with Free Returns. You can deduct up to 50% from the refund (for the de-valued item you received) and should receive $6 credit toward shipping.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

I collect vintage Melmac (melamine) and have literally thousands of pieces. Melamine will break...not like glass or pottery, but it will break. Melamine is subject to cracks and chips when pieces are "stressed." The stress can come from heat or cold (microwave or freezer;) stress can occur from striking hard surfaces or being struck by a hard object (especially thicker or thinner shapes;) stress can occur when multiple pieces are stacked or held together (due to vibration/chatter;) and stress can occur through material fatigue or manufacturing defects. Sometimes 

I'm sorry that the pieces were damaged, but I'd refund upon return. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

Radine,

I never claimed the buyer was a liar nor a crook.

I merely explained what happened and asked if anyone had any idea of this type of breakage could have happened.

Geesh!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

Radine,

As I stated in my original post, I politely asked the buyer to return the bowls for a refund.  I offer free returns and pay for return shipping labels.  And yes, I would like the broken merchandise back.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

I don't know much about this buyer other than that I assume she used a buying only account based on her feedback which shows no feedback for her as a seller.  As a buyer she has the usual 100% positive feedback and the feedback she has left for sellers seems average.

It's just so odd that she stated the two center bowls were broken with no visible damage to the box nor packing materials.  She said the top and bottom bowls are in perfect condition.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

Breakage can happen for multiple reasons. Crush, dropped, impact, vibration and so on.

I had one item that must have been on a vibrating  transport belt for hours to do the damage it had.

Never underestimate your shipper and the damage they can do to your items.

I have seen simple steel bar destroyed by shippers..

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

Thanks for your comments Crowleys.  Appreciate the info.  Quite helpful.

There was packing paper between each plate and I wrapped them in foam wrap making sure it covered the bowls twice.

I'm just baffled as to how these brand new heavy bowls broke, why only the two middle ones and hope to learn how to prevent it from happening in the future.  I look over each piece before I ship and I saw no discernible flaws or hairline cracks.  I've shipped lots of melamine and nothing like this has ever happened before.   

The buyer will be refunded when I get the bowls back.  Since I offer free returns I'll lose the cost of shipping both ways, taxes, and any fees I'm charged.  

I believe the buyer to be honest about the breakage and I do feel badly that she received broken merchandise.  I've been here since 2001 so I know how disappointing it is to receive a damaged item.

Thanks again for the info about melamine.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

Melamine can absolutely break if it gets hit just the right way. I've seen it happen at work. One of my coworkers once dropped a melamine bowl on the floor; it must've landed on the edge or something because that thing cracked clean in half. I'd always thought of melamine as being unbreakable until then too.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

@b86fiero wrote:

There was packing paper between each plate and I wrapped them in foam wrap making sure it covered the bowls twice.

I'm just baffled as to how these brand new heavy bowls broke, why only the two middle ones and hope to learn how to prevent it from happening in the future.  I look over each piece before I ship and I saw no discernible flaws or hairline cracks.  I've shipped lots of melamine and nothing like this has ever happened before.

The packing paper between each plate is your most likely culprit. It probably does not provide much cushion (if any) to prevent the stack from hammering the lower bowls if dropped vertically on either end. Drop it right-side-up and the upper bowls will hammer the lower ones; drop it upside-down and the lower pieces will bang down on the upper ones.  It does not necessarily have to be the one on the bottom of the stack (whichever way up it is) that breaks if the one above it is even slightly weaker, and if an upper one breaks, it absorbs the shock and saves the one or more bowls beneath it.

You are certainly entitled to stick to your guns and request the whole lot back before refunding, especially if you suspect that the buyer is fibbing. However, there is some chance that she's not, as it's not impossible to have that kind of damage. A 50% refund in this case would at least avoid the risk of even more breakage on the way back, as the buyer is not necessarily going to be an expert packer.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Broken Melamine bowls?

The buyer has not yet opened a return request, which I wish she would so I can take care of it.

I appreciate all the info and insights received here.  I had no idea the post office could literally shake your merchandise into pieces on their conveyor belts.  I've never had anything like this happen before. The damage to the inner two bowls - with no damage to the top one or bottom one and the box and packing in perfect condition upon arrival - still seems baffling and odd to me even though some of you gave me a definitive explanation of how it can happen.  

The buyer will receive a full refund when I get the bowls back.  I may present a claim to the post office since the box was shipped Priority mail using eBay shipping and hope the up to $50 insurance is honored.  I sold the bowls for $41 with free shipping.  If not my supplier will give me a discount towards future orders or a refund for the damaged bowls if I return them.  

Has anyone filed an insurance claim with the post office for damaged merchandise?  How did that work?  Thanks for any help in that area. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply