cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THIS JUST IN...Magazines now ok for Media Mail says Buyer with 40 years shipping experience!

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: THIS JUST IN...Magazines now ok for Media Mail says Buyer with 40 years shipping experience!

@lja440 wrote:

20 years of carrying mail for USPS. Magazines DO NOT qualify for Media Mail.

And neither do comic books, no matter how old they are.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Re: THIS JUST IN...Magazines now ok for Media Mail says Buyer with 40 years shipping experience!

Dear ______,

I received your message and double checked the USPS DMM. Magazines DO NOT qualify for Media Mail. But you do not have to take just my word on this. To help you out I have contacted the Postmaster in your delivering Post Office and asked that they give you a short tutorial on what can and can not be shipped Media Mail.

Have a nice day.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

Dear ______,

I received your message and double checked the USPS DMM. Magazines DO NOT qualify for Media Mail. But you do not have to take just my word on this. To help you out I have contacted the Postmaster in your delivering Post Office and asked that they give you a short tutorial on what can and can not be shipped Media Mail.

Have a nice day.

Again....

This guy already knows the rules and couldn't care less what I, or others, tell him! I've had dealings with him before.

He is sending out messages like this on purpose to get his way with less shipping.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

There is sort of a gray area loophole in that magazines which do not contain advertisements could possibly be considered a pass by technicality. If you are sending something such as Consumer Reports, for example, there are no ads that would disqualify it. However, a gray area like that can be up for interpretation and it is common knowledge that not all postal employees are consistent. If under 16 ounces, then better off spending a buck or two more to upgrade to first class package service level.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Message 19 in this thread seems to suggest that perhaps magazines that contain NO advertising might be eligible for shipment under USPS Media rates; but my understanding is that ALL periodicals (whether or not they contain advertising) are taboo as media.

You're the postal expert, jla440 -- what's the lowdown?
Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@snowbirdliquidations wrote:

There is sort of a gray area loophole in that magazines which do not contain advertisements could possibly be considered a pass by technicality. If you are sending something such as Consumer Reports, for example, there are no ads that would disqualify it. However, a gray area like that can be up for interpretation and it is common knowledge that not all postal employees are consistent. If under 16 ounces, then better off spending a buck or two more to upgrade to first class package service level.

Nope, no grey area. Magazines are Periodicals. Periodicals DO NOT qualify for Media Mail, this is what disqualifies  comics too.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

People do it and do it a lot and don't get caught but NO you are NOT suppose to send magazines media mail. I would pull up the paragraph from the USPS website and copy and paste and send to the "40 years experience guy" and show him that NO it is absolutely NOT allowed. That is what I would do just show him from the source.
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Nope, They DO NOT qualify. Magazines are have their own rate (periodicals) when new or old they do not qualify for Media Mail.  They are also disqualified because they contain advertising and just because the advertising is no longer valid this does not matter.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@lja440   LOL, I think somebody needs another cup of coffee!  You already provided an accepted answer to this thread when it was originally posted in March, and the OP accepted it.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@lja440   LOL, I think somebody needs another cup of coffee!  You already provided an accepted answer to this thread when it was originally posted in March, and the OP accepted it.

eBay has been reminding us that the USPS is running much more slowly these days, so responses may be delayed. 😉

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Sure, let them supply their own label and have at it.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

A few weeks ago, a buyer asked about media mail for several magazines.  Told him no.  Replied back with :

"I've sent magazines media mail for years, the post office doesn't ask n I don't tell. They need the money!!"

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Yeah I always need another cup.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply