cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion For New Sellers

Just a suggestion for new sellers. When you pack an item to ship, please do not use shredded paper for fill or packing.  No onr wants to open a box or package with an anticipated item and have an explosion of paper all over the place.  Just got a coin that was inside a box that was packed with shredded newspaper used as packing. No matter how careful, could not get the item in the center of the box without getting the compressed paper all over the place.  Was not happy cleaning up the paper shreads all over the place.   Computer paper maybe OK  but newspaper, it turns into sh**** and is impossible to clean up.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Actually, to anyone and everyone.   During these hard times and still needing padding or cushion.  Do whatever you can to save money.  This includes shredding newspaper or cardboard, or reusing bubble wrap and peanuts.  Because I know I sure am not buying anymore right now.  So please, do not worry about what you use, just make sure your item is safe for shipping.  If the customer doesn’t like it, tooooooooo bad.  They don’t understand obviously or have no common sense that this stuff costs extra money that many do not have right now!

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

I would suggest the smart thing to do would be to bag the shreds so they don't "explode".........I appreciate when peanuts are bagged as they always "get away" when a box is opened........

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

I feel the same way about foam peanuts.    I don't use either,  but do re-use paper including newspaper crumpled up as a second layer of protection with bubble wrap. 

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Amricons,

All you need is a good vacuum my friend. If you don't have one there are plenty for sale here on Ebay.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

You should open your packages in an area that is either easy to cleanup or you don't care about getting messy.

You've obviously learned that you cannot police the packing of every seller that you deal with so adjust on your end.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Not putting anyone down or meaning to insult anyone.

My personal preference is not to use shredded newspaper due to the ink possibly staining the item or leaving inky marks that have to be cleaned.  Think of how the ink can get on your fingers when reading a newspaper.  (Had this happen to several items I've purchased in the past).  I understand why sellers use it as it is free from recycling bins, family, friends and neighbors.

I don't sell much that requires extra padding when shipping but when needed I use plain craft paper wadded in the box or twisted to fit around the item.  The few packing peanuts I use are always placed inside a zip top bag. I hate when those things get full of static and the bits and pieces latch onto my hands and arms.  Yuk!

There was a thread posted on here awhile ago (last year maybe) that generated lots of great ideas on how and where to find free packing materials. 

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

My personal preference is not to use shredded newspaper due to the ink possibly staining the item or leaving inky marks that have to be cleaned.  Think of how the ink can get on your fingers when reading a newspaper. 

This is why I package the actual item for sale, whenever possible, in a ziploc bag. This protects the item both from the staining, as you mentioned, as well as the possibility of abrasion by the packing material/box and water damage.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Its better to recycle something than buy something new. I see no problem using newspaper. Living in San Francisco we recycle and use everything. When I travel to other cities in the USA I see so much waste thrown into one garbage bin. Paper should be reused instead of buying something to pack the item. Plastic bags are so bad for the environment. And those peanuts people buy to pack...I just think that is the buyer being lazy to use something else. Nothing worst like a box of those peanuts in a box blowing in the wind. 

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Open the parcel while it's sitting in a clean garbage bag...

filler can stay in the bag.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

I remember a seller writing that he/she got a neg FB.

The buyer opened the parcel on her windy porch.

She was angry the packing peanuts blew into her garden.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Get a big plastic bag or a plastic tub and open the box carefully and if paper shoots out,  it will stay inside of the bag or  plastic tub.    Cleaning up shredded paper can't be that hard. Everyone has a broom or a vacuum cleaner at home.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

Shredded paper also adds excess weight to the pkg, very quickly.  Personally, I'd rather have shredded paper than newspaper.  Newsprint stains items & it's very annoying.  If I ever have to use newspaper, I always use unprinted newspaper (moving paper) for 1 layer around the item.  I stay away from both though, as paper adds a lot of weight. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@amricons 

Thanks a lot for the information!! 🤗    

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

Shredded paper also adds excess weight to the pkg, very quickly.  I stay away from both though, as paper adds a lot of weight. 

Indeed.  I ran out of what I had for void fill and used newspaper in a pinch on a small box and bumped the weight up by 2 oz over norm and ended up costing myself about $2 in added postage.  It does matter.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply