cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping in this storm

I'm not aware of where Ebay posts this and my access is restricted to my cell phone.  I have an item that needs to ship tomorrow but we got 18 or so inches of snow and even my 4x4 wont move.  Internet is also totally out.  Has Ebay put out anything on shipping deadlines being suspended due the storm?  Itll be at least Tues before I can get off this mountain and with no internet I cant even print the label.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Shipping in this storm

You should revise your handling time to 2 days in case you get any more sales before the road is cleared.

Usually eBay's storm announcements come after the storm is over and the folks in San Jose can read about how much impact the storm had on carriers' performance.  The only time you can count on acknowledgement from eBay is when the Post Office is actually closed due to the weather.

http://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@iamtheborg wrote:

I'm not aware of where Ebay posts this and my access is restricted to my cell phone.  I have an item that needs to ship tomorrow but we got 18 or so inches of snow and even my 4x4 wont move.  Internet is also totally out.  Has Ebay put out anything on shipping deadlines being suspended due the storm?  Itll be at least Tues before I can get off this mountain and with no internet I cant even print the label.

I have not seen an announcement from eBay yet. 

Are you able to put your store on vacation, or at least edit the handling time on your listings, so that you do not have to worry about late shipment dings?  It might be a good idea to also message your buyer and explain the situation that you are in.  Although a message to your buyer will not keep you from getting a ding, it will at least let your buyer know what is going on.  The buyer may even request to cancel once they know that shipping will be delayed.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I dont believe changing my handling to 2 days would have effect on the 2 items I sold SAT morning before we had any snow.  I have no internet just my phone...and I cant pring labels with it and many features of "my ebay" dont appear on their app.  On top of that the local police have closed the streets.  You can get a ticket for being out in a non-emergency situation.  I guess I better pray that enough melts buy the end of the day that I can make it to the post office in time to get them accepted and stamped today.  Risking my life and a hefty ticket is better than trying to deal with Ebay.  Lol.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@iamtheborg wrote:

I dont believe changing my handling to 2 days would have effect on the 2 items I sold SAT morning before we had any snow.  I have no internet just my phone...and I cant pring labels with it and many features of "my ebay" dont appear on their app.  On top of that the local police have closed the streets.  You can get a ticket for being out in a non-emergency situation.  I guess I better pray that enough melts buy the end of the day that I can make it to the post office in time to get them accepted and stamped today.  Risking my life and a hefty ticket is better than trying to deal with Ebay.  Lol.  

You should call eBay to get your situation on record, then ask for the service request number so you can refer to it if needed in the future re defects, neg fdbk, etc.

If you don't want to call them, have them call you instead by clicking on the Help & Contact tab at the bottom of most eBay pages. Hope that shows up on your phone.

You can also give the pkgs to the postal carrier when they finally show or go to the USPS website for their free package pick-up service instead of risking your safety.

Good Luck and stay safe.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Just tell your buyer whats going on so they don't get worried. Most people are understanding.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I've told them and they were great about it but them being cool doesnt stop ebay from lodging a strike against me.  I ended up getting them to the post office monday but the doors were closed and lights off so my risk might be for naught.  Dont think they were open and I've received no mail since Friday so I'd say that's the case.  Still nothing from Ebay about waving strikes in this mess.  I just need to quit.  Ebay doesnt care about their sellers one bit.  I know that's not news to anyone though.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

ebay has offered breaks for sellers impacted by CA fires and the AK earthquake; I suspect they will also offer one for sellers affected by Winter Storm Diego. As stuff4divas suggested, contact ebay, try to get someone who speaks primarily English, and get your situation on record with a case number. That way if you get dinged for slow shipping, you might have recourse. Stay safe!

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@iamtheborg wrote:
 ....  I ended up getting them to the post office monday but the doors were closed and lights off so my risk might be for naught.  Dont think they were open and I've received no mail since Friday so I'd say that's the case.  ...

I provided a link to the page where USPS provides information about which PO's are closed.  You should have checked that before heading out.  You should go there now to document the USPS notice that the PO in your ZIP Code was closed, in case you need to provide evidence that you shouldn't be penalized for not shipping on Monday.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply