cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping a box of toilet paper

Hello, I'm seeking assistance from the community to determine the most cost-effective shipping options for my new toilet paper business. Shipping expenses constitute a significant portion of the overall cost. I offer three sets of sizes: 12, 24, and 48 rolls per case, with the following dimensions for each set:

1. Dimensions: Length: 19.29 inches, Width: 14.57 inches, Height: 18.70 inches
  2. Dimensions: Length: 19.29 inches, Width: 14.57 inches, Height: 9.65 inches
  3. Dimensions: Length: 14.57 inches, Width: 9.84 inches, Height: 9.65 inches

Any guidance on affordable shipping solutions would be greatly appreciated. I really appreciate your time and effort in helping me out. 🙂 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Shipping a box of toilet paper

Trying to keep the shipping cost under $15 if possible 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Go to the USPS.com or UPS.com and use the shipping calculator there.  If you are using calculated or free shipping don't forget to factor in how far the TP might travel when checking. 

Just knowing size of shipping box is only part of the program, need to know the weight too.

You need to round up to full inch, 19.29 becomes 20 inches etc. 

This is something you need to be working out yourself as part of your eBay education.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

That might cost more to ship than it's worth.  You might want to look into other lines of merchandise.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@us-krupe 

Considering that the better grades of toilet paper are not that expensive in the first place, I'm not sure that you can be financially competitive, especially since you will be adding a shipping charge to your orders.

How are you planning to undersell both Charmin and Northern, much less the less expensive and/or generic brands?

This product line may not be a good fit for a small seller.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

First off, don't go to USPS or UPS. Use Ebay shipping, it will save you money. A large package I sent once would have cost $7 more from the USPS. Just type shipping calculator into the Ebay search bar and it will take you to it. Check shipping cost to someplace the farthest away. You'll need size and weight. You have to assume that some purchases are going to cost that much to ship. Like others said, might be hard to compete with retail. Just remember, the total cost to the customer has to be no more and probably less than a retail store. That includes shipping.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@us-krupe,

During the pandemic, because of toilet paper shortages in the USA, toilet paper was considered to be an essential item. Under the Price Gouging policy, only preapproved sellers were allowed to list or sell toilet paper.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/price-gouging-policy?id=5106

I don't know if toilet paper is still restricted to preapproved sellers only, but the price gouging policy will probably make it difficult or impossible to sell, because of the cost of shipping. Toilet paper is fairly light, but bulky.

Your two larger packages are both greater than one square foot (1728 square inches) so they would be subject to dimensional weight charges from USPS, because of their large size.

USA consumers can purchase toilet paper at the store for less than your proposed shipping cost ($15).

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

As far as I know, it's still banned and you can't sell it.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Toilet paper sounds like a "carppy" business to be in

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Get big enough to get a contracted deep deep discount with FedEx.

I see no way that you can compete.

Wally will send it out to be delivered right to my door (actually will be placed right in my garage) for less than I would ever be able to buy it from you. Unless you sourced it for pennies on the $, there is likely no money to be made due to shipping costs.

I have it shipped as I do not want to be bothered to "cart" it out of the store.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

If the OP is looking for a base to figure out if it can be shipped in the ballpark of the target amount, then checking at USPS or UPS would work. Any discount would be money in the pocket to cover cost as most sellers don't offer those discounts to the buyers. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

The 48 roll case (19x15x19) the dimensional weight is 39lbs. Even if you are giving the toilet paper away for free, it will cost the customer about 75c/roll.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

One does not need to buy from Charmin or Northern to compete.  There are other manufactures all over the world. Many in China that sell very cheap.

Only seller knows his profit margin. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

Toilet paper sounds like a "carppy" business to be in

Especially if it is recycled.

stephenmorgan_0-1700810209856.png

Message 14 of 14
latest reply