cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping International

Ebay Increased the new International Delivery shipping rates effective today. I have a package that weighs 3 OZ going to UK and rate chart says $14.00 but go to print label they want $22.00 

Also have one to Canada 3 oz that chart says $12.00 they want $18.00.

It appears they are using billable weight now instead of actual weight  

Billable weight is calculated as the greater of actual weight and dimensional weight. Actual weight is the weight of the fully packaged shipment in pounds (scale weight). Dimensional weight is calculated by multiplying the length by width by height of each package in inches and dividing the total by 166; ((L*W*H/166)). When the dimensional weight exceeds the actual weight; charges may be assessed based on the dimensional weight. Shipments whose billable weight exceeds the max allowable weight or dimensions rating limit will be returned to sender at sender’s expense

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Shipping International

@jltrainman wrote:

Dont Pirateship use USPS. The reason I went to Ebay International Shipping was back in late Apr & May USPS lost a bunch international packages returned some no reason and have 5 I filed missing claims on they never could find and cost me hundreds of dollars out pocket as they never found them and were not insured as First Class uninsurable.

They use USPS for Canada and Asendia for everywhere else. With the exception of Canada which goes through USPS, other packages will ship with USPS to a domestic hub, then they get re-labeled and ship internationally (same as eISD). Packages are usually delivered by the buyer's local post. But as I said above, you can buy insurance (including pkgs to Canada), which will cover lost packages and their rate is still lower than both eBay and USPS direct.

On the new rates my shipment to UK was made on the new rate and they charged the Customer $22.00 shipping as listing had no size listed. On multiple purchase's the size would very when weight combined.

I played with it this morning rate chart says up to .5 lb $14.00

When I pull the shipping label up to print it says 3 0z 0 x 0 x 0 $14.00

I enter 3 Oz 0 x 7 x 5 x 3 it changes to $22.00   but if I enter 3 Oz 8 x 5 x 1 It stays at $14.00 Dont make sense

The problem is that your listing form didn't have dimensions and dimensions are now a factor with eISD rates. The system will charge a buyer based on both weight and dimensions so it's imperative that you update your listings with that info.

7x5x3/166 = 0.63 which is over 0.5 so it rounds to the 1 lb rate

8x5x1/166 = 0.24 so you'll pay the 0.5 rate

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Shipping International

Having the same problem.  The issue is that dimensional weight typically (and historically) would only apply to larger packages -- usually items where one edge is greater than 12 inches or total dimensional size greater than a cubic foot, for example.  To my knowledge, it's very unusual to apply dimensional weight to smaller packages like you're talking about (and like I tend to sell). I suspect eBay inadvertently applied dimensional weight constraints even to very small packages, which in effect removes the lowest tier of the rate card except for the tiniest of packages.  I suspect that was an unintentional mistake and hoping eBay will address right away.  Has anyone gotten ahold of a knowledgeable eBay representative or moderator on this?  

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Shipping International

@moebitz wrote:

I suspect that was an unintentional mistake and hoping eBay will address right away. 

I found it to be surprising for the same reason - that dimensional weights generally come in to play on larger packages. I don't think it was unintentional though. I think it was intentionally snuck in under the radar. The info was published in black and white for all to see, but I'll bet most people didn't notice that it would affect small and lightweight packages. The cost difference between the 1/2 lb and 1 lb billable rates are not insignificant.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Shipping International

Just spent 29 minutes on the phone trying to get an answer They kept saying they were having technical issues and would call back later. Guess we will wait and see if this really happens 

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Shipping International

Thanks for the update.  Sounds painful.  I sure hope they adjust this. 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Shipping International

Never got the call back which is normal as they never call back like they say

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Shipping International

So frustrating. And nothing has changed. International sales have plummeted to near zero. Smart move eBay

Message 22 of 22
latest reply