cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Help PLEASE

Each time I list an item I have the dimensions and weight to the package already figured out.  Generally a custom size and generic box.  I give the buyer two options for the heavy bulky stuff and it is Fed Ex ground home delivery and USPS ground.  They choose and pay for a 9x12" envelope and pay $3.50 when it costs more than $20 to ship.  Even the choice says up to a pound or similar information such as a three dimensional object does not fit in an "envelope".  Why does this keep happening?  Is this why people just say $22 to ship and don't let the buyer choose based on their location?  Honestly I don't like the USPS options because they often do not fit the needs.   I currently have a $250 item that weighs 14 lbs and buyer paid shipping of $7.40 to go across the country.   It's already paid for that way and I can't change the shipping.  I may just take to Fed Ex and pay at the counter.   The most frustrating part of ebay is the shipping.  Even the post office personnel have not given me a straight answer or no two employees have the same answer.   Another reason to go to Fed Ex.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping Help PLEASE

Not exactly sure how to answer you in a simple fashion.  First, USPS Ground is the worst.  No insurance an often not much cheaper than Priority.  If you purchase your labels thru eBay you get cheaper rates.  The longer you do this the easier it gets.  The post office and Fed ex stores cannot match the discount prices that eBay give you.  I never let the buyer choose shipping option.  I figure out the cost and do flat cost amount.  Sometimes Priority is the cheapest, but other times Fed Ex home or Ground, and others UPS Ground.    It all depends on location, size of the box and weight.  Letting them choose is why you are losing money

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Not exactly sure how to answer you in a simple fashion.  First, USPS Ground is the worst.  No insurance an often not much cheaper than Priority.  If you purchase your labels thru eBay you get cheaper rates.  The longer you do this the easier it gets.  The post office and Fed ex stores cannot match the discount prices that eBay give you.  I never let the buyer choose shipping option.  I figure out the cost and do flat cost amount.  Sometimes Priority is the cheapest, but other times Fed Ex home or Ground, and others UPS Ground.    It all depends on location, size of the box and weight.  Letting them choose is why you are losing money

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

IF sellers properly set up Calculated Shipping, do not give the eBay discount and charge a bit of a 'handling fee' then shipping can be a breakeven proposition.  the extra for handling fee covers shipping materials and the eBay fees on the shipping.  Otherwise costs have to be worked into the the cost of the item.

When you are setting a fixed price for shipping one needs to use the shipping calculator with a zone 8 or zone 9 zip code such that one gets the MAXIMUM cost of that flat rate shipping.  Buyers in closer zones will be paying too much but over all the seller should be charging enough to cover their costs

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you BOTH so much for your answers. I appreciate your time and will do this.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply