cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers who are overpricing shipping

I've noticed that most sellers of basswood for carving charge almost twice the amount that USPS would calculate for the item they are selling. Since it is a block of wood, they typically wrap it in cardboard and ship it.  I ship mantels on Etsy that are twice the size and my mailing cost is never even half of what they charge for half the size and weight. Is this normal for sellers on Ebay to not charge the actual shipping fee? Is this considered scamming since they are making 20 or more extra bucks on the sale through an overpriced shipping charge? Does Ebay not have guidelines for this? Just curious.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Sellers who are overpricing shipping

Shipping costs are based on a number of factors. I have found items that had high shipping costs and contacted the seller who had entered incorrect information into the posting either by design or by accident. It may also depend on what service they are using or any additional charges they are adding such as handling fees. Because of all of the INR scamming taking place for a lot of my items I am requiring a signature at receipt which is an additional cost. 

Because of the current situation with USPS a lot of people are shipping with other carriers UPS, FedEx, etc. which have higher costs because they are not government subsidized. 

If you see an item that appears to have high shipping costs reach out to the seller and ask them why. Some will answer, some will not and some will correct their posting. Those that don't or where you think the shipping is too high simply don't buy from them. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

It can be annoying to see, but in the end you're 'fine' with paying whatever shipping cost they asked if you pay for the item (i.e. you know what you're getting in to, cost-wise).  No idea how this would be scamming, not like anything is being hidden.  The seller is supposed to use at least the method they declare in the listing though, they shouldn't be downgrading from priority to first-class, etc. (and of course they should be getting the item to you safely/securely, however it's shipped).

Ebay doesn't care what people charge for shipping since selling fees are calculated to include the shipping cost paid by the buyer.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Sometimes I think this is a marketing type of ruse that some sellers use to lure a buyer to their item. I just saw a listing this afternoon for an item I was interested in that was at $6.00 and had make an offer available. I was just about to hit the buy it now as at $6.00 this was a good deal already, when I looked at the shipping. It said standard shipping, not priority, but standard shipping at $8.00.

The item would have weighed 2oz at most, soft sided, non breakable item. So this seller was trying to "trick" buyers to their listing by lowering the price, the average price was $13.00 for this item, more than other sellers of same exact item. Then they inflated the shipping to make up the difference. If I hadn't noticed I would have hit the BIN button and been stuck with my purchase. I hit the back button and purchased from their competitor instead for $12 including shipping. In the end I probably only saved two bucks, but I didn't feel tricked so it was worth it to me....

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Most sellers have a total price in mind they want to receive for an item including shipping cost. And most buyers only care about the total price they are paying (item + s/h)...The item price and the shipping rate are just a numbers game. Personally I would prefer the inflated s/h rate and a lower item cost since I only pay sales tax on the item.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

well usps raised their rates again about 2 hrs ago

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

That increase is temporary until December 27.  A "new" holiday  adjustment fee.  The real annual price change will occur in mid January 2021

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Most buyers shop by total price - so if they are ok with the price, what harm does it cause you?

As you are well aware if you sell on Etsy - shipping costs for a seller are more than just the end cost to the shipping service provider. There is time and material cost, plus the FV fees that are paid on shipping.

eBay does not care what sellers charge for shipping - they leave that number up to the seller & buyer. They are actually happy for sellers to charge more for shipping as it increases the fees that they collect.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Since the beginning of time on eBay, shipping costs have been an issue of debate. I do think eBay cares, a bit, about shipping costs and times. That's why they encourage free shipping and short handling times.  I believe the best policy is transparency. I never see shipping as a way to offset a lower item price or to enhance profit. Buyers, like OP, are savvy to that and I see shipping as a necessary evil for buyer and seller.  I either put in the listing the weight I am estimating for shipping and use the calculator so buyers can see costs, or use a flat rate (especially for lighter items) that reflects a reasonable estimate. Sometimes on flat rate I might make $1 and sometimes lose a $1 but in the end it all works out.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Since the buyer sees the shipping fee before bidding or buying, and is free to hit the back arrow before committing to the purchase, I don't see this as an issue.

Personally, I shop by total cost.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

And some will immediately block you.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

USPS is NOT government subsidized 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

actually there is no room for complaints about high shipping - if the shipping is too much for you don't buy it. there are so many variables. For instance since I live in Hawaii regular priority and parcel are MUCH higher than for the other States and I am actually forced to NOT use parcel since the items go via boat and can take up to 6 weeks for arrival while Ebay puts the deliver time down as a week. Just ask the seller why his prices are higher than usual.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2 years ago!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply