cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller listing furniture to be shipped via Media Mail....

Someone sent me a link to a listing for an armoire that was reportedly used by Liberace. The seller had a zero FB score, listed only one photograph of a very large wooden armoire, obviously sitting in their garage, with the door taped shut using blue tape. One line description, armoire set for auction, starting bid .99 cents. The coup-de-grace was the shipping would only be $3.27. Yes that's correct, they would be shipping a huge wooden armoire anywhere in the US for only $3.27, because they were using media mail to ship it. I hit the report button, my first time using it. Nothing happened because the listing lasted the entire seven days. No one bid, shockingly, and the seller listed it again- everything the same. I didn't bother to report a second time. Now I see the listing was canceled by seller, with the reason used as item broken by seller. Of course I realize they never could have shipped this actually using media mail but it galled me that they could get away with this listing, not once but twice, when others get listings pulled for slight wording issues. I know there are too many listings for anyone to follow but then why have the report button if it goes nowhere. Also using the report button was very limited in options and not easy to use so again I wouldn't be inclined to use it moving forward. But if you want to return your legitimately purchased and sold item that is really easy to do because eBay has a bright blue giant button listed above the feedback link for the buyer to return it....
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Seller listing furniture to be shipped via Media Mail....

Good grief, thats a new one..but Im not sure a ridiculous shipping method for an item is reportable.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yeah apparently it's not which is why the listing was allowed. I guess I just presumed it would be taken down for that reason. Funny but I use media mail when I sell DVD's and books. Each time I list one of those I get a second message asking if I am certain my item meets the guidelines for media mail, etc. and cannot move forward with my listing until I answered affirmatively. So that's why I thought eBay cared if the shipping method was abused but seems they don't.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:
So that's why I thought eBay cared if the shipping method was abused but seems they don't.

I just recently read a thread where posters were discussing that Media Mail is not an option offered by eBay in all categories. The application of the policy didn't really seem to have any rhyme or reason (imagine that), but maybe they're making some attempt to restrict the shipping method in certain categories and just haven't gotten to the "fake celebrity furniture" category yet?

I suppose, in the end, it's USPS who is interested in Media Mail not being abused rather than eBay. I just read an item listing for a magazine (which, arguably, does not qualify for Media Mail) wherein the seller said, basically, "I'm gonna send this magazine via Media Mail, but USPS might open it and disagree, so I'm not gonna be responsible for that happening, if that's indeed the case." I didn't purchase from that seller, and, instead, paid a bit more for the same item from someone else.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

It sounds like there are an almost laughable # of things wrong with that listing. 

I personally learned a long time ago sellers rarely appreciate interventions even though in this case it probably would’ve been advantageous to the seller to have their listing yanked😐

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:
Someone sent me a link to a listing for an armoire that was reportedly used by Liberace. The seller had a zero FB score, listed only one photograph of a very large wooden armoire, obviously sitting in their garage, with the door taped shut using blue tape. One line description, armoire set for auction, starting bid .99 cents. The coup-de-grace was the shipping would only be $3.27. Yes that's correct, they would be shipping a huge wooden armoire anywhere in the US for only $3.27, because they were using media mail to ship it. I hit the report button, my first time using it. Nothing happened because the listing lasted the entire seven days. No one bid, shockingly, and the seller listed it again- everything the same. I didn't bother to report a second time. Now I see the listing was canceled by seller, with the reason used as item broken by seller. Of course I realize they never could have shipped this actually using media mail but it galled me that they could get away with this listing, not once but twice, when others get listings pulled for slight wording issues. I know there are too many listings for anyone to follow but then why have the report button if it goes nowhere. Also using the report button was very limited in options and not easy to use so again I wouldn't be inclined to use it moving forward. But if you want to return your legitimately purchased and sold item that is really easy to do because eBay has a bright blue giant button listed above the feedback link for the buyer to return it....

Does anyone remember the Judge Judy where the buyer of two cell phones was suing the eBay seller because the seller sent two PICTURES of cell phones?  The listing stated that the buyer would receive just what was pictured.  Well... Maybe that's what this listing is for.... A PICTURE of an armoire owned by Liberace.  Now THAT could go by media mail, right?  LOL

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Maybe it was just an inexperienced seller that didn't know what they were doing. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@parkersparrow wrote:

Maybe it was just an inexperienced seller that didn't know what they were doing. 

That's a big load of inexperience.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Well, I was on the phone with customer service for extended period of time two days ago related to the inappropriate use of media mail. Sellers are selling car brochures using media mail which are a violation of usps media rate policy. EBAY DID NOTHING! I am compiling a list of sellers who do this to present to usps and reporting them and ebay. I am collecting ebay reps and ID numbers to pass on to usps. I encourage others to do the same. I would suspect knowingly shipping media mail when it is not could be a serious issue to the folks at usps.  I sell many brochures and catalogs, as a seller I cannot compete on an uneven playing field.

As to your situation, in the case usps inspects the package, I suspect they will expect the shipping fees to be paid. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I would think that, too, except for the Liberace part.  Too funny.  Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote: ... Maybe that's what this listing is for.... A PICTURE of an armoire owned by Liberace.  Now THAT could go by media mail, right?  LOL

No. A photograph wouldn't be eligible for MM.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote: ... Maybe that's what this listing is for.... A PICTURE of an armoire owned by Liberace.  Now THAT could go by media mail, right?  LOL

No. A photograph wouldn't be eligible for MM.

Ah well.... there went that theory.  NOT a picture of an armoire owned by Liberace

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@collectfest wrote:

Well, I was on the phone with customer service for extended period of time two days ago related to the inappropriate use of media mail. Sellers are selling car brochures using media mail which are a violation of usps media rate policy. EBAY DID NOTHING! 

eBay doesn't enforce USPS regulations.  USPS does.

If a sender is caught using media mail for ineligible items, several things could happen.  If caught midstream it could be sent postage due.  If caught at the sender's post office, the sender could be charged the full postage for an appropriate rate AND if caught often enough the sender could be required to present all media mail packages unsealed before mailing for inspection.  Or shut off from using online postage and required to present all packages at a retail counter.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply