cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S & H and Delivery Time

I am getting so irritated, actually angry, about the high S&H being charged by many sellers, and the time it takes to get an item!  I'm referring specifically to something that can be put in a regular envelope and mailed for .55!  Not sellers fault,   but delivery by USPS is getting to be ridiculous.  I have waited up to two weeks for an item to arrive!

This assumes, of course, that a seller posts in a timely manner!  In my opinion, posting should be within 24 hours on items such as a small collectible that can be put in an envelope.  Grrr!

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: S & H and Delivery Time

Sure; there's always the option to not continue.  And on occasion, I have.  I'm not really that down on sellers; it's the

using of eBay's "post office".  And then there's the everlovin' real PO!

'

yst

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

current first=class stamp is .55

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

@deltiologist13 wrote:

I am getting so irritated, actually angry, about the high S&H being charged by many sellers, and the time it takes to get an item!  I'm referring specifically to something that can be put in a regular envelope and mailed for .55!  Not sellers fault,   but delivery by USPS is getting to be ridiculous.  I have waited up to two weeks for an item to arrive!

This assumes, of course, that a seller posts in a timely manner!  In my opinion, posting should be within 24 hours on items such as a small collectible that can be put in an envelope.  Grrr!

You realize that sellers lose their protection against INR if they just stick it in an envelope? As far as shipping in 24 hours, if you need it that fast, maybe you should buy a plane ticket and go visit the seller.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

@deltiologist13 wrote:

My response to this would be that perhaps those people shouldn't be selling on Ebay!

My response to that is, maybe self-entitled buyers need to grow up and learn some patience.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

@deltiologist13 wrote:

Sure; there's always the option to not continue.  And on occasion, I have.  I'm not really that down on sellers; it's the

'

yst

eBay doesn't have a post office. Do you mean printing USPS lables via eBay?

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

If you don’t like the shipping or the estimated delivery time, do not purchase. 

No need to get angry with yourself when you have this information and still make the purchase. 

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Ebay now requires tracking on items sold or the seller gets a demerit and the buyer can claim he never received it, thus letting him keep item and also get his money returned. After getting so many demerits the fees charged the seller increase.
A letter envelope cannot have tracking. The lowest priced shipping for an item from the PO can weigh up to 4 oz and will cost $4.06. I won't send items without tracking because I have been hurt too many times by lying buyers. I know they get the items because they leave positive feedback and then claim non receipt. What would you do if you were a seller?
I do agree with you about slow shipping time and items sent to wrong areas of the country. The seller has no control over either of these actions. Another problem is sometimes the wrong option is entered by the PO saying delivered back to seller's address. Thus the seller has to then take the item back to PO and pay the postage again from his own pocket.
Will give you an example of how shipping can be delayed. I live and seller from Hawaii. Items sold leave Hawaii between 11-12PM at night and even if taken to the PO at 9 AM they sit at the processing center and airport until departure. Add onto the 6 hour time difference between Hawaii and the East Coast means that item won't even arrive in LA for transfer until noon the next day. Then it needs to be unloaded and reprocessed at another processing center. This is already taking up 2 days of the promised 3 days I am given to have items arrive. Again what would you do if you were me.
Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@frodobagginskennedy wrote:

you DO realize that MOST sellers are not just sitting at their computers waiting with baited breath for YOU to decide to purchase something from them.

MOST sellers have Families, full time JOBS, households to run, maybe ELDERLY parents to care for, Pets to feed/walk/play with, listings to post ETC. ETC. ETC.....in addition to getting out that little trinket you purchased for .99 cents with FREE SHIPPING.

I totally agree. That is why I backed off from eBay selling a lot. Back when I was a mail carrier sub it was manageable to list a lot. I primarily worked one day a week, lived 3 miles from my Post Office. Now I am full time on the longest route in 3 counties with a 40 minute commute to and from work. Not even all of my route has cell reception. 

When I list I sometimes come home to several frantic messages escalating to anger because I have not replied.  For that reason I never ever list during the holiday season. Actually this is my "me" time right now. I'm up at 3 am, feed dogs, feed and check on horses, then drink mass amounts of coffee and get ready for work, checking out my sources for inventory and chat on here and facebook until time to leave for work at 6:15. I get home around 5 to 6 take care of the animals and clean and price inventory for the B&M, get dinner and shower and head to bed by 9 or 10, 5 days a week.  Friday and Saturday nights I may hit a local auction house if I see something on their auctionzip pages but that means getting to bed at midnight or later. At 59, 2 to 3 hours sleep just doesn't cut it anymore so I have to really spot something good.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@hurryagain wrote:

@deltiologist13 wrote:

55 cents???  I thought a "forever" stamp costs more than 55 cents...60-something cents???

Bet @mam98031 knows...

You are so funny.

Yes it is 55cents.  However it the Federal Court Court of Appeals has ruled that that last 5 cent increase was improper.  I'm not sure what USPS will do with that, but it is something to keep an eye on.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/09/13/usps-stamp-prices-prices-drop-after-federal-court-ru...

@hurryagain 

USPS does not set the increases. They give Congress the expense reports and the projected next years budget needs. Congress decides what if any the postage increase will be.

This years larger increase is because this year the final selection will be made and vehicles ordered to replace the LLV's. 

A little info on the LLV's.

https://postalmuseum.si.edu/collections/object-spotlight/llv.html

What they are looking at now.

https://www.trucks.com/2018/03/09/usps-mail-truck-prototypes-vote/

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@hurryagain wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@hurryagain wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@hurryagain wrote:

55 cents???  I thought a "forever" stamp costs more than 55 cents...60-something cents???

Bet @mam98031 knows...

55 is the current price except for the semi-postal. 

I paid 35 for mine.

USPS dot com would have confirmed current prices.

...Goes to show how often I buy stamps! Smiley Very Happy

USPS seems to raise it just about every year.  I thought 55 cents was about 5 years ago.

@buyselljack2016 

Are you going to share your secret???...35 cents...Smiley Tongue

They are "forever stamps".  I invested when the going rate was cheaper:) They accrue interest(value) better than my checking/savings accounts.

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

You are good Smiley Very Happy ...and yes - DEFINITELY better than the interest one gets in their savings account.

Yes, green with envy at your smart and insightful buy!

I am a rural carrier, before the increase I always bump up my stamp stock (some of us fill stamp orders out of our vehicles rather than take them back to the PO and bring the stamps back the next day). I normally carry around $200 worth of stamps , a couple coils and some books. Hearing about the increases size instead of my usual doubling up (stamp sales are always brisk before increases) this time I invested 3 times my normal stamp stock and bought 4 coils (100 stamps each) for home knowing that the mother in law will be after 2 of them for her Christmas cards.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

@segar-6213 wrote:

@deltiologist13 wrote:

My response to this would be that perhaps those people shouldn't be selling on Ebay!

My response to that is, maybe self-entitled buyers need to grow up and learn some patience.

Yeah, I remember when NORMAL delivery times for ordered items was 7 to 10 weeks.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

@deltiologist13 wrote:

'

yst

And my everlovin' real PO is a 12 mile round trip from my house. If I were to ship things every day I would have to add a $5.00 handling fee to the cost of that stamp if I had to make that trip just to ship your one item.

I looked at a few of your post cards (I love old post cards) and it looks like you are choosing First Class Package which comes with tracking so I guess you aren't shipping them with a stamp either??

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Sellers are totally wide open to buyer  fraud  when they ship via a 55 cent stamp.  A  buyer simply can claim  they DID NOT receive that 55 cent stamp shipment and  get a full refund.  The buyer gets it for free and  the seller is left holding the bag.

The sellers only protection is to ship via a service that offers shipment tracking.  USPS has such a service but it does cost more than 55 cents call First Class Package rates start out around $2.50 depending on weight & distance shipped.  Sellers are in the business to make money.  Some sellers are OK with losing money-  I am not.  But you don't  have to buy from me either.

Yep the cost of shipping keeps going up.  USPS, FedEx & UPS will increase shipping rates in  the up coming Dec-Jan period.  They  have every year since 2010 when I started selling on eBay.  Can recall when you could send a letter for just a mere 3 cents and a post card for a penny but I'm a '44 model.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 28 of 35
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:  Can recall when you could send a letter for just a mere 3 cents and a post card for a penny but I'm a '44 model.

Your penny for a post card takes me back to a day in '96 (1996) when 2 new postal clerks were left by the Post Master to fend for themselves.

The clerks were a bit stymied when an older patron came in and requested a "penny postcard". 

Well, they had single stamps, books of stamps, and 20 cent stamped cards, so a penny postcard was an odd request.

It worked out. The customer got their 20 cent, "penny postcard":)

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Ebay now requires tracking on items sold or the seller gets a demerit and the buyer can claim he never received it, thus letting him keep item and also get his money returned. After getting so many demerits the fees charged the seller increase.

__

Mostly untrue

Message 30 of 35
latest reply