cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unscrupulous buyer makes false claim, contests the charge & refuses to return item..

I sold a man's jacket for $200.  The buyer claims it is not as described (not true).   I agreed to refund his money and pay for the return shipping but he never answered.  After a week I learned that he contested the charge on his credit card.  His bank refunded his money.  Meanwhile, I sent him a prepaid label for $23.50 through eBay to return the jacket to me.  He never did.  So I am out the sale, the return postage and never got the jacket back.

eBay and Paypal were alerted to the entire ordeal with claim and counter-claim.  They both know that I offered a refund and sent a return shipping label through the authorized eBay page.

This is a scam from the buyer but also from eBay.  Do we sellers have no recourse when the buyer scams us?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Unscrupulous buyer makes false claim, contests the charge & refuses to return item..

So you responded to the PP case I assume that they opened after they opened the ebay case? The only way they would refund withiout requiring that the item be sent back on PP is if you did not respond to the case they opened there in time. Can you please let us know more.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Yes I responded immediately.  And eBay told me to send a pre-paid shipping label to the buyer through this website which I did.  Next eBay closed the case without the buyer ever sending the jacket.

eBay does not care that the seller is defrauded, only that the buyer is satisfied!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Did you call PP and tell them that they refunded this person before they sent it back. They are not suppose to close a case like that without requiring that the buyer send the item back. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Wait, area you saying ebay closed the case or PP closed the case? Did the buyer open another case on PP after he opened one on Ebay?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Yes I responded immediately and I called PP.  eBay told me to send a pre-paid shipping label to the buyer through this website which I did.  Next eBay closed the case without the buyer ever sending the jacket.

eBay does not care that the seller is defrauded, only that the buyer is satisfied!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

eBay closed the case after I sent the pre-paid return shipping label.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

It sounds like you acted properly in accordance with the eBay's MBG in the handling of the SNAD.  If the buyer fails to use the return label sent by eBay, you should not be charged for it.

However, it would seem that your buyer filed a charge back with their credit card company.  This could be an attempt to double dip or an attempt to circumvent having to return the item.  If their charge back was for unauthorized use of their credit card, you should be covered under PayPal's seller protection provided that you provide proof of shipment.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Rockstar, you are right on ... correct.  The buyer is trying to double deal, telling me one thing (item not as described) and his bank a different thing (charge not authorized).

To-date the buyer has never returned the jacket in spite of my sending him a pre-paid return label through eBay.  That's $23.50 lost because I cannot cancel the label now.  He claimed to his CC bank that the charge was unauthorized but I have his email correspondence in which he states that he did order and receive the jacket. 

I have submitted all proof of both my early complaint to eBay and PP, and of my correspondence with the buyer showing that I offered to refund him if he would return the jacket.  PP which is now considering the case after having blocked my account. 

But when I requested that eBay return my fees since the jacket is supposedly not sold, eBay refused!  I will persist with eBay when PP when a decision is reached.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@shafiah   Sounds like it's time for a Police report from the Buyer's local area ... the Buyer is stealing from you right?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I imagine the eBay case was closed because the buyer filed with cc. eBay has no leg in that game.  Are you sure the buyer filed unauthorized with the cc?  You'd only need to show proof of shipment and PayPal would protect you as long as you shipped to the address in the transaction.  If the buyer files not as described with their cc PayPal does not offer seller protection for that and cc companies in general don't require proof the buyer shipped the item back.  Although the they do tell you you need to or that you need to make the item available to the seller they don't require proof you did.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 11
latest reply