cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about eBay Int'l Shipping program...

I am very confused about this, maybe someone can help.  

Let's just say I leave the international shipping option blank when making the listing and it automatically goes eIS program.  Let's say it automatically charges $25 shipping to the UK.

1. Is that $25 going to me first?

2. Is the cost of the label I need to buy to ship domestically to the eBay shipping hub covered by that $25, i.e. the full amount eBay is charging the buyer includes the domestic label I need to buy and the international costs that eBay deals with?

I have shipping set to automatically combine (I sell vinyl records so it's pretty straightforward & easy to combine) as a flat rate, e.g. if you win 4 auctions from me and I charge (internationally) $32 for the first one and $8 for each additional, your cart will show you owe me $56 for shipping.  

3. What will it charge if you, the international customer, wins 4 auctions?  Am I going to have to go and manually send off invoices?  Can I even send an invoice for combined shipping with the eIS program?  If so, how much am I supposed to charge since I don't have control shipping prices?

Sorry for the confusing post, I am just very confused by this.  I list 1000+ auctions at a time, I am about to start my next batch of listings but I just need to figure this stuff out now before I do so.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Question about eBay Int'l Shipping program...

Hey @sunnysnails . With an EIS sale you'll get the same shipping as you would with a domestic sale. You'll be shipping to a US hub (currently there are hubs in IL and CA).

The buyer will pay a higher shipping rate. Anything they pay over and above your domestic rates goes directly to eBay for the international portion of the journey.

As of right now, EIS does not offer combined shipping for buyers. But the shipping team told us last week that they're expecting to roll out combined shipping for EIS by the end of the year.

In the meantime, if you have international buyers looking to purchase multiples, you can create a single custom listing for them that includes all the records they want to purchase.

Pay close attention to how orders come through. If they come in as separate orders you have to ship them separately. You'll notice in the address field there will be different reference numbers for each order.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Again eBay has revealed themselves to be  arrogant, instant opt out.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hey @sunnysnails . With an EIS sale you'll get the same shipping as you would with a domestic sale. You'll be shipping to a US hub (currently there are hubs in IL and CA).

The buyer will pay a higher shipping rate. Anything they pay over and above your domestic rates goes directly to eBay for the international portion of the journey.

Thank you for your response, I am still a little confused though.

I primarily ship media mail.  Let's say it costs me $5.00 to ship a package normally in the US, is - 1. The international buyer going to cover that shipping cost as they normally do, and 2. - Will it have to go to the eBay hub via USPS Ground Advantage or Priority as it does with the Global Shipping Program?  How can I be sure I am not paying for part of the shipping costs with this eIS program?  I'd love to offer free shipping but that's just not a realistic possibility for a variety of reasons.

@wastingtime101 wrote:

As of right now, EIS does not offer combined shipping for buyers. But the shipping team told us last week that they're expecting to roll out combined shipping for EIS by the end of the year.

In the meantime, if you have international buyers looking to purchase multiples, you can create a single custom listing for them that includes all the records they want to purchase.

Pay close attention to how orders come through. If they come in as separate orders you have to ship them separately. You'll notice in the address field there will be different reference numbers for each order.

I sell almost everything in auctions.  If I sell 800 - 1000 items over a two day period, the majority of those 800 - 1000 items require me to combine multiple auctions into one order.  Mostly that stays inside the US but there are always a bunch that go overseas.  I cannot create custom listings because they are auctions, and I certainly don't have time to cancel and relist every multiple-purchase international order into a custom listing, so it is not possible for me to do this with the eIS program?

Finally, can I just keep shipping through USPS like normal and automatically combine like normal?  It just doesn't sound like it's gonna work for me.

Thank you for your time @wastingtime101 .

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@sunnysnails wrote:

I primarily ship media mail.  Let's say it costs me $5.00 to ship a package normally in the US, is - 1. The international buyer going to cover that shipping cost as they normally do, and 2. - Will it have to go to the eBay hub via USPS Ground Advantage or Priority as it does with the Global Shipping Program?  How can I be sure I am not paying for part of the shipping costs with this eIS program?  I'd love to offer free shipping but that's just not a realistic possibility for a variety of reasons.

If you charge $5 for domestic shipping, you will receive $5 for domestic shipping and ship using the method advertised on your listing - media mail, or otherwise. Same as any domestic transaction.

Buyer will pay the $5 plus whatever EIS charges. Say EIS charges $20 total - you get $5 and eBay gets $15.

@sunnysnails wrote:

I sell almost everything in auctions.  If I sell 800 - 1000 items over a two day period, the majority of those 800 - 1000 items require me to combine multiple auctions into one order.  Mostly that stays inside the US but there are always a bunch that go overseas.  I cannot create custom listings because they are auctions, and I certainly don't have time to cancel and relist every multiple-purchase international order into a custom listing, so it is not possible for me to do this with the eIS program?

Finally, can I just keep shipping through USPS like normal and automatically combine like normal?  It just doesn't sound like it's gonna work for me.

As I mentioned above, eBay said EIS will allow combined shipping later this year. That's not yet in effect. For the time being, you will have to ship however eBay tells you to.

If buyer pays $5 per record for shipping, 4 items, total $20 and eBay separates it into 4 orders - then you ship 4 separate packages. If eBay puts them on one order with one reference number in the address, then you ship together.

You cannot combine if eBay separates them.

You have to ship in one box if eBay combines them.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ok thank you @wastingtime101 .

Will I be able to continue to ship via standard USPS international (by that I mean bypassing the eIS program & purchasing a 1st Class Int'l or Priority Int'l label on eBay as I normally do), at least until they have the combined shipping thing figured out?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Yes, if you set up direct international shipping in your listings with a service like USPS First Class Package International. EIS will appear for any countries where you don't offer direct shipping, unless you set up exclusions to any country where you don't ship direct.

You can also opt out of EIS entirely then opt back in when combined shipping is implemented. If you want to avoid EIS for now, that's the safer option to avoid accidentally combining orders that were to be shipped separate with EIS.

GLORIOUS!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thank you again for all of your time in answering my questions, I greatly appreciate it.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Maybe ebay is trying to move away from auctions…. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply