cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Ebay International Standard Delivery

I started using Ebay International Standard Delivery (not GSP) right after it became an option. It was slightly cheaper than International First Class Package rates and offered insurance up to $100 on shipments.

Over that time I've had maybe a dozen packages get over-charged. Apparently anything within a 1/2 ounce of a billing threshold (ie 7.5 ounces) has the possibility of being marked heavier and being billed and the next highest rate. This usually results in an extra $7-10 shipping charge. What I can't figure out is if the shipping center is repacking these items before weighing or whether their scales are just off. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

The other issue I've had just happened today. An item I shipped two weeks ago just arrived back at my house. It was processed by the shipping center, an international shipping label was attached to the package, and it used my address as the delivery address. There was nothing indicating there was a problem with the buyer's address.  I can't figure out how this is even possible. 

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

So for someone getting ready to start offering international sales again, would my past international shipping be suggested, which was USPS International First Class or Priority?  I haven't done international since covid struck.

Message 31 of 43
latest reply

I've had a good run with Ebay International Standard for the last 6-9 months but today I got hit with an extra $37 in shipping fees because their processing center recorded a 1.5 pound package as weighing 5.2 pounds.

We'll see if I can get them to do anything about it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 32 of 43
latest reply

@jinxremover13 wrote:

I've had a good run with Ebay International Standard for the last 6-9 months but today I got hit with an extra $37 in shipping fees because their processing center recorded a 1.5 pound package as weighing 5.2 pounds.

We'll see if I can get them to do anything about it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What were the dimensions of the package?

Message 33 of 43
latest reply

The dimensions were 12"x12"x5". Nothing that would incur dimensional weight.

I did eventually get them to approve a reimbursement after pointing to the same item being repeatedly shipped at it's actual weight. Ebay Leadership Team told me the credit was approved and processed. It never appeared on my account. A month later I called back and they said they had no record of it. Insisted on speaking to a supervisor and was told...

Ebay will not reimburse International Standard Shipping labels for any reason.

Even though the reimbursement has been approved by a supervisor initially, and I was told it was processed, it was later rejected.

They shouldn't put their name on the shipping method if they aren't going to take responsibility for any aspect of it.

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

You're telling me! I canceled two orders headed respectively for Brazil and Italy just before they could leave the country. But they're still in transit. And just in case my checking account could lose $100 spent on the coverage for each item, I moved $250 from my savings account. I promised myself and my folks I'd stop touching my savings, but this is just until I start getting a job working for an animation studio in Tampa through Brightest Employment.

From now on, it's only domestic shipping for me.

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

This is why you should opt into the new EIS program, in my opinion. You're only responsible for getting the item(s) to the domestic eBay hub. All aspects of international shipping and insurance are on eBay, not you.

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

I shipped a cover and manual of "SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom" (in a 6x9 clasp envelope, weight: 5oz.) to Brazil and a Japanese Hamtaro DVD (in a 6x10 ReadyPost bag, weight: 4oz.) to Italy. I have great concern, y'know! What if one or both get shipped back to me? Or if they're headed for the respective countries and get stuck in transit?!? I mean, after I ignorantly shipped them, I cancelled the orders! I don't want to be destroyed financially by losing $100 or less for coverage!

International Standard Delivery's such a bad idea, man!

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

A matter of fact, I've decided to stop selling. There's just too many fraudulent buyers in the world!

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

Okay, I know I cancelled the order, but the Hamtaro DVD I shipped to Italy got delivered anyway on March 31.

As for the SpongeBob game cover I shipped to Brazil, it's been stuck in the Sao Paulo Airport customs since April 3. I cancelled the order for that, too. The agents highly advise me to contact the buyer, but I'm afraid to...I mean, it seems normal that packages are likely in customs for many days.

I would've said "Problem with location" when I cancelled. I'm never selling a thing on eBay again.

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

Jinx, you're my new best friend! 👍    Parcelapp is a great find, Ebay's tracking on Intl packages is awful /non existent   Thank You 

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

Okay, so, the SpongeBob game cover got delivered to Brazil last month despite my cancelling the order.

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

I just sent apology messages to the two respective buyers about my cancelling the orders. I was just scared of the international fees.

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 43 of 43
latest reply