cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Office keeps on telling Ebay Shipping Tape is not Allowed.

The cashier tells me Ebay Shipping Tape is not Allowed.

That she will let it go this time but not to use it next time.

It was not the first time I had this problem.

Because of that reason I go to another Post Office.

The other Post Office no problem.

This time I told the cashier that she was wrong.

She has a very nasty attitude but that is another topic.

I am not a new seller.

So she got the manager of the Post Office.

The manager knows me but she agreed with the cashier.

I told the manager I am not here to make trouble.

Just that, you should be informed that Ebay tape is allowed.

I am sure I am not the only seller around my area that have to deal

with being told not in a nice way that Ebay shipping tape is not allowed.

I was told it is because it is advertising Ebay on the tape.

Manager is a really nice person I do not have any problems with her.

Just how can I prove that Ebay shipping tape is allowed?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Post Office keeps on telling Ebay Shipping Tape is not Allowed.

Just how can I prove that Ebay shipping tape is allowed?

This is a wrong question. You are the customer. Ask the clerk to prove that ebay tape is not allowed.

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

@shotcallerscustomsllc wrote:

If your using any USPS Priority Flat rate shipping boxes or envelopes from USPS you will not be able to use eBay shipping tape, only clear tape is allowed. If your using a personal cardboard box you can use eBay shipping tape. Same with FedEx and UPS boxes that are labeled, only clear tape allowed.

Is that something new?

I've shipped Flat Rate boxes for years and used Ebay tape without any problems.

Have a great day
Message 17 of 35
latest reply

Well, maybe its who you ask.

That is the information I had heard from our postmaster here.  But I also haven't found any rule listed someplace that states it either. So I have no direct answers or a listed source to point anyone at.  So my information could be wrong!

But typically when I ship with a Priority Mail labeled box/mailer, I just use clear tape and avoid the hassle.  Not to mention, I don't have pretty tape anyway, I ONLY have clear tape so I think its moot for me!  lol

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

Please copy and paste the prohibition portion that disallows the use of ebay or any other tape. 

As I posted a bit ago, I don't see this provision listed anywhere verbatim.  But what I think the issue is simply this:

USPS Priority Mail Packages (packages that are made and printed with USPS PM Logos) are not to have logos or emblems of any other company than the USPS postal service/Priority Mail labels.  But that probably doesn't include the use of their own Priority Mail tape.  While saying using clear tape is required, that simply means tape without any other images or logos.

Now enforcement of this may be loose or spotty, and that is why many of us may not have heard about it before.  Do I think its a real problem?  No.

But again, I cannot find this actually stated where I can quote it from an official source.  But I have known about this for years.  Maybe its an unwritten rule?  I don't know.  I'm going to talk with my local postmaster about this tomorrow morning.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

This is the kind of tape I use in my boxes.

USPS boxes - clear or priority tape

Regular boxes new or used - clear or ebay tape

Ebay boxes - clear or ebay tape

The Boxes I took that day to the USPS were:

1 - used regular box ( marks or writing on it are always cover ) Just ebay tape

1 - new ebay box ebay logo on it with ebay tape 

Hope this helps clear some of the questions

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

It doesn't bother me. I only mentioned what goes on in various post offices. I can work with what my post office suggests. I don't feel the need to report or get anyone in trouble. 

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

@pinkeepig wrote:

This is the kind of tape I use in my boxes.

USPS boxes - clear or priority tape

Regular boxes new or used - clear or ebay tape

Ebay boxes - clear or ebay tape

The Boxes I took that day to the USPS were:

1 - used regular box ( marks or writing on it are always cover ) Just ebay tape

1 - new ebay box ebay logo on it with ebay tape 

Hope this helps clear some of the questions

Looks like you mail a lot of media rate - are those the packages that the clerk is saying can't have "advertising" tape?

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@shotcallerscustomsllc wrote:

If your using any USPS Priority Flat rate shipping boxes or envelopes from USPS you will not be able to use eBay shipping tape, only clear tape is allowed.

That's not a thing.  The Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) does not include this prohibition in its rules on packaging standards for Priority Mail boxes.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

@gator08041971 wrote:

But again, I cannot find this actually stated where I can quote it from an official source.  But I have known about this for years.  Maybe its an unwritten rule?  I don't know.  I'm going to talk with my local postmaster about this tomorrow morning.

It is not in writing.  And there is no such thing as unwritten rules in the postal service - there are only uninformed employees (including up to and above postmaster level) who try to make up their own rules or misinterpret existing rules. 

If you do talk to your postmaster and he/she tells you that only clear tape is allowed on USPS supplied Priority packaging, ask for  a source for this information.

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

Oh I plan to.  I want to get to the bottom of it.  This issue doesn't affect me, but obviously there are different "tales" being told.  Including what I heard in the past.  But I haven't had this come up and have not queried about it in recent times.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

I actually had 4 package going that day.

1 package was media rate but it was not one of packages the cashier complaint about .

The 2 boxes she complaint about were going USPS Ground Advantage.

None of the 4 packages had any advertising except for the new ebay box and the ebay tape.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Sorry you have to deal with this clerk.  She is wrong, but probably will not admit it or even understand it.  Sad to say but training within the USPS is not the greatest and with the extreme shortage of employees in all areas, the situation is not likely to improve. 

This is as a USPS employee, not a disappointed customer.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

For International packages...paper tape is only allowed per my post office.

Your post office needs an overhaul.   I think I'd stop repeating their advice immediately, unless they explained they are talking about registered mail and you just left that part out. 

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

As a retired Postmaster of 35 years, I know of no regulations on Priority Mail packages only allowed to be taped using clear tape. I use brown tape and eBay tape in addition to clear tape on Priority mail packages. Possibly your local USPS clerk is getting confused with Registered Mail. You cannot cover up any of the Priority Mail box labeling. I will admit I have been retired for over 5 years and something may have changed, but I have never gotten anything returned because of using eBay tape on a Priority mail package. It sounds like your clerk needs to be re-trained. Some clerks and Managers try to make up their own rules. I would ask the clerk/manager to show you where in the DMM it states that. Blowing smoke comes to mind.

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

How absurd.  If the postmaster doesn't help you ask for an appointment with the District Office Manager.  Further up the chain is the BME Manager (Business Mail Entry Manager).

Message 30 of 35
latest reply