cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portland Maine instead of Portland Oregon

So it looks like on a product I just shipped the USPS decided to ship to Portland Maine Rather than Portland Oregon.  It's currently in New Hampshire.  Is there any point in trying to contact the USPS?  Had anyone ever had luck with this?  I have no idea how this is even possible.

Do I just wait for them to figure out its going to the wrong Portland?  I don't understand how when they scanned it in Boston and now new Hampshire they didn't send it back....

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The post office will catch it in transit, tracking will say “missent” or similar verbiage and will be redirected. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

As long as the shipping address is correct on the label, it'll get to the correct destination.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

In December 2022, I ordered a book from a seller only 16 miles away from me, near Minneapolis.  USPS shipped it to Chicago instead.

The order eventually found its way to me -- but I could have walked backwards to and from the seller, in the time that it took USPS to actually make the delivery.

Hang in there -- maybe it'll arrive by Groundhog's Day!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Sounds like it’s just going on it’s tour of the country before going to your buyer. It happens, sometimes it waits until being handled by the last carrier only to find out the number and street doesn’t exist in that city.

In the future let your packages out of the house more. Go to the park or movies with them from time to time so that when they do get a chance to go out again they won’t roam all over the place sightseeing before hitting their destination 🙂

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

The primary destination is the zipcode, the city name is just a backup. It's all in the barcode anyway if you printed a label, it's not just an errant clerk.

Sounds like the package just took a tour, which isn't weird.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

*afterthought*

I live in Dallas, OR and have received mail labeled to "Dallas, TX" but still got it because they used the correct zipcode.

We have a Springfield too, just like everyone else...

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@annadryl wrote:

742 Evergreen Terrace?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I had a media mail item that i shipped from CA to FL. It landed in the Anchorage, AK sorting facility! Now it is on it's way to Fl again.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Very often, a small or lightweight package gets stuck in one of those postal sacks.  Then it gets filled with boxes going to NY or Hawaii or whatever. Once it arrives at the wrong sorting facility, eventually it gets scanned and will be re-routed to the correct bin/sack and hopefully that bin/sack gets put on the correct truck or airplane.   Other times,  a package may fall off the conveyor belt and then when it's picked up by someone, it's thrown into the wrong bin .   Be patient. Email the buyer and let them know that their box is currently sight-seeing  the country.  Let  them know that this happens once in a while and again thanked and apologize even though it's not your fault. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@annadryl wrote:

742 Evergreen Terrace?

D'oh! 😁

I agree that this is just another Scenic Tour escapade. Just this week I had a package leave Chicago headed for Mystic, Connecticut, but first it decided to take a tour of Phoenix, AZ. After a couple of days out west, it finally arrived, rested and refreshed and with a slight tan, in Springfield, MA (yes, really) on the 25th, and was delivered to the correct address in Mystic, CT yesterday. As long as the address is legible, it'll get there eventually.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply