cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid for 4 items from same seller at the same time and order split into 4 and paid separate shipping

I ordered 4 items from the same seller. The items were paid at the same time. However when I paid I was charged the shipping fee for each item. 
When I asked the seller he said he sent the items combined, same tracking number. However from my end the items are now in separate orders with different tracking numbers. 
I have ordered multiple times from the same seller, and is it the first time that my purchase separates into 1 order per item bought.
is there a way for me to get a refund for the shipping that was overcharged? What can I do? 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Paid for 4 items from same seller at the same time and order split into 4 and paid separate ship

eBay Global Shipping is a great idea in concept, but implementation is a little weird.

eBay does separate out the items somewhat based on a few different factors. Selected shipping class that the item was setup on is the first. Flat rate shipping amount instead of calculated shipping amount is another.

So, if an item is setup for First Class Mail for domestic shipping and another is Priority Mail, they will be separate.

If two large boxes are setup with $20 flat shipping rate each, they will be separate as well.

eBay will combine like shipping classes up to a certain point. If two items were First Class Mail at 6 ounces each, they will combine. If one was 13 ounces and another was 6 ounces, that would bring it over the pound limit for First Class Mail, and it might be separate.

They do this because combining weights for international delivery can be troublesome. So, in eBay's computer mind, items going individually are easier to track and get correct shipping parameters.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Paid for 4 items from same seller at the same time and order split into 4 and paid separate ship

Sellers don’t have to combine shipping but most will if you ask before you buy and you have to put items into the cart instead of buy it now so they can invoice you with the combined shipping or each item will get the stated shipping price for each item. If buyer didn’t request the invoice the seller may choose to refund the shipping difference or cancel and ask buyer to repurchase with invoice option.

Seller said he was combining shipping after you asked but sent them out each with separate packaging and tracking I think he tried and just couldn’t figure out and didn’t know he could refund difference or because he already bought 4 labels for which you paid so there wouldn’t be a difference.

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I confirmed with the seller. He sent them combined to a USA address. I am abroad. According to the address he sent it to it is a distribution center for Ebay International shipping. My issue is why Ebay split the order into 4 when I ordered them Together. I even received a automatic discount from the shop because I ordered more in the same order. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

It depends on the shipping method that was offered @robye-7 and how the seller's combined shipping preferences were set up. There's eBay International Standard Delivery which is essentially a shipping service that has a middleman. This service allows for combined shipping if the seller sets up their listing that way.

Then there's eBay International Shipping which has just recently replaced (or is in the process of replacing) the Global Shipping Program. These programs are mostly in eBay's hands and do not provide combined shipping rates.

Can you post an item number so we can take a look at the shipping section to give you a more accurate response to your inquiry?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

How does eBay International Shipping benefit the buyers? I had to pay 4 times what I would usually pay. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Yep, that listing is set up with the new eBay International Shipping program for shipping to Taiwan. It looks like that seller offers different shipping methods for different countries so the benefit seems to be that the seller might not ship to your country at all if not for that program.

Since you're a repeat customer, you might ask the seller if next time they could create a single listing for all the items you'd like to purchase - that way you get a single shipping rate. The seller may or may not be able/willing to do that.

They're offering free shipping to the US, so the shipping charge you see is going directly to eBay's international shipping program, not to the seller. The seller is not receiving a separate ship cost from your payment.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Thank you.

I will share it with my seller. How about the order that I made. Will it be possible to get a refund if the packages arrive in on single package? 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@robye-7 wrote:

I confirmed with the seller. He sent them combined to a USA address. I am abroad. According to the address he sent it to it is a distribution center for Ebay International shipping. My issue is why Ebay split the order into 4 when I ordered them Together. I even received a automatic discount from the shop because I ordered more in the same order. 

If the seller confirmed they combined the items into one package and you paid 4 separate shipping costs, then the seller 'should' refund the difference, altho they are under no obligation to do so since you did not make the arrangements 'before' you paid.

But, the fact u r a repeat customer, i find it odd the seller did not go ahead and refund you, unless eBay charged them 4 separate shipping fees.

As far as each of the 4 items being shipped separately from the distribution center, sometimes eBay opens packages and inspects them. There are some rules for packaging properly, dimensions and weight of package(s). So it is possible 'they, eBay' separated the items.

Here is the link for general info on eBay Int'l Standard Shipping>  https://pages.ebay.com/sell/send/termsofservice.html

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@robye-7 wrote:

How about the order that I made. Will it be possible to get a refund if the packages arrive in on single package? 

No, that wouldn't be possible. As I said above, the seller did not receive any separate shipping funds on your order so they have nothing to refund. Your funds went to the eBay International Shipping program.

The link posted above by @stuff4divas is for eBay International Standard Delivery which is not the service your seller used. It's a good link, but not related to your order so I didn't want you to get confused by that.

eBay International Standard Delivery (eISD) is a service and eBay International Shipping (eIS) is a program. While they have very similar names, and packages with both methods go to a consolidation hub before leaving the country, the operation is quite different in terms of shipping charges, funds, payouts, etc.

The similarity in names is going to create confusion for a very long time.

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

eBay Global Shipping is a great idea in concept, but implementation is a little weird.

eBay does separate out the items somewhat based on a few different factors. Selected shipping class that the item was setup on is the first. Flat rate shipping amount instead of calculated shipping amount is another.

So, if an item is setup for First Class Mail for domestic shipping and another is Priority Mail, they will be separate.

If two large boxes are setup with $20 flat shipping rate each, they will be separate as well.

eBay will combine like shipping classes up to a certain point. If two items were First Class Mail at 6 ounces each, they will combine. If one was 13 ounces and another was 6 ounces, that would bring it over the pound limit for First Class Mail, and it might be separate.

They do this because combining weights for international delivery can be troublesome. So, in eBay's computer mind, items going individually are easier to track and get correct shipping parameters.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Very helpful. Basically there is no winning here. eBay is making it harder to have a seamless international shipping without being overcharged.

I feel scammed in a way but what can I do. I guess just I need to communicate with my seller before I place the order. 

Thank you

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Well, there is a good trade off though. International shipping has a high chance of items getting lost. Been doing this for 15 years and I have seen it many times. But eBay Global Shipping has some very good insurance on lost packages. If tracking shows it never reached the destination, eBay will usually issue a refund if the buyer opens a case. The seller and buyer are protected. That is something I could never get with any other carriers.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply