cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package has been stuck at USPS facility for almost a week. Buyer wants refund. How to proceed?

I recently sold a graphics card on ebay and as of now it has been stuck at the USPS facility near the buyer's home for over six days without update. The buyer, who does not seem to be happy about the issue, requested a refund. The thing is I'm not going to approve any refunds until I'm certain I can get the graphics card back (those things are worth a lot right now) or I can get compensated in some way if the package was lost or stolen.

Is there a way I can be compensated for a lost/stolen package? What is the optimal way to proceed with this issue?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Package has been stuck at USPS facility for almost a week. Buyer wants refund. How to proceed?

If they file an item not received claim against you, call eBay and ask for an extension for delayed shipping. I have seen people say they are given an extra 10 days.

Until they file a case, respond to their e-mails very, very, very nice and caring, indicate you will check tracking for the package and contact the Post Office to ask them about the package. Assure them that you will refund later if it doesn't arrive, o problem, could they just give you a little more time. Then message them every couple of days or any time there is a change in tracking.

If the package tracking shows the item never arrives, you have no choice but to refund everything. But now is the time to work with your buyer nicely.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Re: Package has been stuck at USPS facility for almost a week. Buyer wants refund. How to proceed?

Start a package trace on USPS.COM, called missing mail. Some packages get unstuck this way and on their way. Message the buyer and tell them you will be doing the package trace and to please be patient. A week late in not really an issue . I have some things I have purchase that are a MONTH late with USPS.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

good suggestions already from other posters .something ive done before,  you could take your tracking number to you local post office and  explain whats going on & they could look it up for you and sometimes they will even call the facility that your pkg is in and get it rolling that way too.  i think they  can see a lot  more internally whats up than what is just on the tracking. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

im really get the impression from these impatient buyers like the one you are dealing with, its not their first rodeo.   sorta seems he is savvy to ebays policies concerning this matter. my gut feeling says he wants a refund and  that graphics card also.  i dont know if its too late to do an intercept on your pkg or not.    you said it is close to the buyers home now. surely you would think it will break loose & be delivered in the next few days. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I just posted above "Watch EBay recommendations" because I just lost out even though tracking clearly showed it WAS delivered!!!

If you open a claim against Buyer, they (EBAY)will tell you you issued a refund too fast..I tried.

This has become a BUYERS market and sellers Losers market.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

This sort of happened to me earlier this month.  The buyer was in the next state over and the package was in his state, stuck for almost 2 weeks.  Completed a mail investigation (NOT missing mail) on usps.com and someone from USPS in the buyer's city called me the next day and explained that there's a backlog in their facility and assured me that the mail was not lost.  The following day, the package was moving again and eventually delivered to the buyer a couple of days later.  

Luckily, my buyer was patient, but I still asked for his patience and understanding while I try to locate the package.  I know your buyer is not being patient, but as others have said, contact eBay customer support about the extension for delayed shipping.   Good luck!

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

If the package was lost or stolen, you have to refund the buyer.  You can get insurance on your items to cover such issues.

regarding a late delivery, the other posters are giving fine advice.  Me, I’d put in a package intercept request right away - just go to the usps site and complete the form.  You are only charged if the intercept is successful.

good luck!

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Call the USPS 1-800-275-8777.   During business hours, I think 8-5 M-F.   You have to go through the options until you get a live person, it is a bit tricky but if you hit a dead end, hang up call back and try a different choice.  They don't make it easy to actually talk to someone.   Don't give up.

When you contact a CS person, Have your tracking numbers ready.  They have to track down where your packages are and contact the distribution centers or local PO (where ever your package is stuck) and let you know where the package is.  They ask you what is in the package and how much it is.  They will file a report and you can have them call you or email you on the progress.  I've done this several times and it has always worked out for me.  

Use the USPS tracking on their website.  The eBay tracking isn't updated as fast. 

Change the channel!
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

So EBAY is giving extra time for slow packages moving through USPS.  As long as movement shows up within 10 days of an INR you're good.

Some other good suggestions here...I have one more...and I know this is after the fact, but for our store...any items over $75 that we sell, we're sending UPS or FedEx and just eating the extra profit.  No issues what so ever.  When it comes to expensive items and the state of the USPS, we will probably never use USPS again for expensive items, or at least until things return to normal at USPS.

Good luck...

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This is one of the reasons I haven't been selling on ebay lately.  Even though your customer will probably get their item, I think ebay should allow at least a month before requiring sellers to refund the money.  Sellers have NO CONTROL over shipments.  I hate ebay controlling and dictating to me how and when I should refund buyers.  What happens if ebay makes the decision to force the refunding of the money then a few days later the buyer receives the item?  Is ebay going to steal the money back from the buyer to compensate the seller?  Probably not.  The seller gets screwed again.  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

eBay has always held sellers responsible for what their shipper does even though it's not their issue.  They leave it up to you to sort it out with them.   

FWIW, sometimes FedEx and UPS are cheaper,  I have FedEx just down the street from the post office so I shop both now and send whatever is least expensive.  

As for OP, the mail search request and so forth may get it rolling.  You'll have to ask the buyer to be patient.  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

1. Politely but sternly tell the buyer the item is stuck due to a USPS backlog or problem at post office X and that while you are confident it will be delivered, you will also do everything within your power to get in touch with them to find out why it's stuck there.

2. Check the USPS site regarding claims, but you can't open a case until 15 days or so I think it is.

3. When this has happened in the past, 99.5% of the time if I call the USPS 1-800 number and it magically starts moving within a day or two. If you have the number for the post office in question and you can actually get through ask for the postmaster or manager at that location.

4. There is nothing the buyer can do. If they open a case, eBay will simply ask you for the tracking number. If you don't have it, then you're screwed and the buyer wins the case and will most likely get the card and their money back. If you do have the tracking, putting that in again buys you some time to act on no.2 if you haven't already.

Be careful with this situation. If the buyer has the tracking number and can see what the problem is they are either in a jam and needed the card like yesterday (god forbid they need it for rendering paid client work), are impatient by nature or since it's an electronic, you can't rule out the possibility it's a scammer looking to pay nothing for an item. 

I've had the most problems on eBay with electronics hands down. 

The truth has few friends but many enemies.
No one is perfect, though a mirror and the right clothes may make some think otherwise.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

If a seller talked sternly to me, when his item is late to arrive, I would immediately stop all discussion and file the item not received claim so fast it would make your head spin.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I respectfully disagree on your point that shipper performance is not a seller issue.  It absolutely is - sellers choose shippers, class of service, etc..  Sellers might not be responsible for executing a delivery, but we are accountable for the performance of our chosen carrier.  Absolutely, I've had cases of less-than-stellar delivery performance on several occasions.  With each case, I'm accountable for the results.  

I've had to give out some refunds - I wasn't thrilled about them, but it was about taking responsibility for decisions and knowing where the accountability for late shipments falls.  

Message 15 of 15
latest reply