cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not agreeing

I sold a buyer an item that was in perfect condition and shipped the said item out of my own pocket. Item arrived to buyer with a broken piece and now buyer wants a refund. I don't want to accept, due to the fact I already came down on the price of item and paid for the shipping. Buyer is trying to say I'm responsible for the item broken.

!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Not agreeing

@katihoote_0 wrote:

I sold a buyer an item that was in perfect condition and shipped the said item out of my own pocket. Item arrived to buyer with a broken piece and now buyer wants a refund. I don't want to accept, due to the fact I already came down on the price of item and paid for the shipping. Buyer is trying to say I'm responsible for the item broken.

!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!

File an insurance claim.

You are responsible for the item arriving to the buyer in the condition listed in the time frame specified using the the level of service they paid for.

There is no way around it.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@college-therapy-fund wrote:

Bummer!  Everyone who sells anything has had your experience.  I learned early on that loss was the cost of doing business.  If we sold in a bricks and mortar store, we would experience breakage by someone's 2-year old running roughshod,  or shoplifting by someone acting like a 2-year old.  🙂  Your best chance of getting any of your cash back is to ask for pictures of the packaging if he/she still has it.  If there is evidence of rough handling by the Post Office or whoever your shipping company is, you might be able to file a claim.  Some shipping services provide insurance as part of the cost.  It's a hassle; those shipping companies don't take responsibility easily, but you have an opportunity to be better than your shipping company.  Let your buyer know that you are disappointed for them and accept the return graciously.  It's not your fault, but it's not the buyer's fault either.  Your good will in this case will pay dividends in the long run, as buyers get to know that you are a seller with integrity.  Good luck!

That's very true. In our B&M we had a man (elderly) stumble into a shelf trying to get out of the way of 2 kids running around and took out over $400 worth of figurines. The vendor was right there as well as it was in view of the shop owners daughter behind the register. 

The vendor said to let it go. No way was she going to try to make the man pay for them when it was the kids fault and she was out of luck with the kids as they didn't actually touch the items.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

You DO need to refund. Your buyer purchased an unbroken item and received  a broken one.

You can either refund them in full and they keep broken item or if you force a return then you have to pay to get the item back.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Here is a VALUABLE lesson in selling online!

First and foremost, selling online is a way to make money IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. 

You likely don't. 

#1 You the seller are 100% responsible to get the item to your buyer unharmed. 

#2 Failing #1, even IF it's the carriers fault, you are 100% responsible to refund the buyer. 

Selling online isn't for everyone. ESPECIALLY not for people who don't know the rules or know what they are doing. 

It's clear you don't know how to ship properly, so I'd suggest learning BEFORE you sell anymore. You also do NOT understand your responsibilities as a seller. Again, I suggest you learn the rules and your responsibilities before selling any more. 

I'm telling you this not to discourage you or tick you off. I'm telling you if you don't learn your role and responsibilities, you will have a very bad experience selling here. You may even end up banned if you goof up bad enough. 

Message 19 of 19
latest reply