cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not agreeing

I sold a buyer an item that was in perfect condition and shipped the said item out of my own pocket. Item arrived to buyer with a broken piece and now buyer wants a refund. I don't want to accept, due to the fact I already came down on the price of item and paid for the shipping. Buyer is trying to say I'm responsible for the item broken.

!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Not agreeing

You are responsible. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Of course you are responsible.  It's even spelled out in eBay's buyer protection policy, which they call the Money Back Guarantee.  The seller is responsible for getting the item into the buyer's hands in the same condition as it was listed.  The buyer can file a claim for "Not as described" and is entitled to a full refund. If you want the item back, you have to pay for the return postage.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Buyer did not purchase your item damaged. So whether you charged for shipping has no bearing on their right for a refund. How would you feel if you purchased something with your hard earned money and it was damaged??

You ARE responsible.

Refund with kindness.

Grandma 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

don't matter who's responsible... if buyer files SNAD, you're accountable...

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Seller is responsible that the buyer recieves the item as described. You will have to accept the return in this case. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@katihoote_0 wrote:

Buyer is trying to say I'm responsible for the item broken.

If the buyer files an INAD, you either accept the return and pay return shipping or refund buyer without returning.

It's our job to get the item to the buyer in one piece, even though we don't deliver it, we are responsible for it.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

You sold,packed and shipped.  Yep your responsible.  You might try and offer to refund half it's price to cover that damage.  Otherwise, issue a paid return.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

How do you figure you are not responsible?

YOU set the price on the listing.

If offered less then YOU accepted that offer.

YOU also had the opportunity to set a fee for S/H or include it in your starting price.

YOU packed the item, YOU chose to not pack it well. 

Therefore YOU are responsible. Now YOU need to refund the buyer and hopefully YOU will learn from this experience.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Next time you pack anything fragile make sure you are comfortable that if the package were dropped on the floor or sidewalk the contents are safe.  To achieve this I recommend a double box, use of excessive bubble wrap and adding stiff foam board to immobilze the contents. 

As a new seller, consider this a learning experience.  Remember you are not out the entire cost of the sale, rather the amount you spent on the item and the postage.  

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Read this eBay  policy

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

It doesn't matter if the item was in perfect condition when you shipped it to the buyer and if it was in perfect condition when the buyer received it. If the buyer says the item was not as described then those are the magic words as far as eBay is concerned. You're responsible to pay the the cost of shipping for the buyer to return the item to you and to give the buyer a full refund of the purchase price including shipping that they originally paid. Whether the buyer is telling the truth about the condition of the item is irrelevant.

As a seller it is almost next to impossible to win these items not as described cases. The only thing to do is 1) refund the buyer in full (including shipping cost if they paid for shipping) without requiring the buyer to return the item or 2) require the buyer to return the item before they receive a full refund (again you have to pay for the return shipping). You might also work out a compromise with the buyer where they keep the item and get a partial refund.

eBay has advantages and disadvantages for sellers who use their platform to sell.  As a seller you have to decide if the advantages outweighs the disadvantages and is therefore worth it to continue to sell on eBay.

For

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Bummer!  Everyone who sells anything has had your experience.  I learned early on that loss was the cost of doing business.  If we sold in a bricks and mortar store, we would experience breakage by someone's 2-year old running roughshod,  or shoplifting by someone acting like a 2-year old.  🙂  Your best chance of getting any of your cash back is to ask for pictures of the packaging if he/she still has it.  If there is evidence of rough handling by the Post Office or whoever your shipping company is, you might be able to file a claim.  Some shipping services provide insurance as part of the cost.  It's a hassle; those shipping companies don't take responsibility easily, but you have an opportunity to be better than your shipping company.  Let your buyer know that you are disappointed for them and accept the return graciously.  It's not your fault, but it's not the buyer's fault either.  Your good will in this case will pay dividends in the long run, as buyers get to know that you are a seller with integrity.  Good luck!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

How much was the item? If it was $50-100 you might be covered if you used USPS. It is fairly simply to claim you would need before and after pictures. The after pictures would be the ones that the buyer sent you displaying what they claimed was broken. I normally just refund the money and move forward. It is not worth all of the hassle of fighting over this. You will not win this case.

EM 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

OP is not a Top Rated Seller, so the automatic insurance coverage that they get with Priority Mail would be $50. And after looking at what they sell, I suspect that any claim would be denied based on inadequate packaging. But it doesn't hurt to try, especially if they have supporting images to submit with the claim.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply