cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Media Mail option

Greetings. I've been selling/shipping 16mm/8mm films on eBay using Media Mail for many years, yet this morning when I went to purchase/print the label, Media Mail was not available as an option. I called the Post Office and they still use Media Mail - so is this an eBay problem that needs to be resolved? Thanks in advance for any help. Phil

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: No Media Mail option

To be able to buy Media Mail labels on Ebay, the item has to be listed in a category that qualifies for Media Mail.

You sold one that was listed under collectables and collectables don't qualify.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Perhaps putting it in 2 categories is the problem?  If you sign up for a service such as Pirateship, you will be able to buy a media mail label and sync your ebay account if you want to.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I've never had a problem, but my 16mms are all listed only under 16mm film

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Films aren't collectables? I've been collecting them for 20+ years. Yes - I posted a film depicting Railroad activity from 1939 under Railroadiana/photos. What is a film? It is a series of photographs. A movie camera has a shutter. I understand that many people take advantage of Media Mail, but shutting out every category but two for those selling films is ridiculous.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@besthomemovies 

Nearly everything might be considered to be "collectible" -- but that's not the point.

To be able to ship at USPS Media rates, sellers need to use the "bare bones" definition of what is being sold -- in this case, your "collectible film" is simply a "film."

And films apply for USPS Media rate -- while "collectibles" don't.

Simplify. . .simplify.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Film content covers vast numbers of categories from cities, to celebrities, to automobiles, to bicycles, to aviation. You name it, it got filmed. My point is, limiting films, or anything for that matter, to only two categories is insane. It is a quick fix for eBay solving the illegal use of Media Mail. That's all. Any article sold on eBay should be allowed to be posted in any category - whether it is in the correct category or not, regardless of how it is being shipped. I made my living for many, many years by buying films that were listed in the "wrong" category and re-selling them on eBay for profit.  I increased my profit margin by having those extremely heavy films shipped Media Mail, but now, that's all in the past thanks to those who abused Media Mail.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I was told over the phone that as long as the main category is the film category, I can list the film in any secondary category and still use Media Mail. I'll give that a try.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

From what I understand, years ago the post office basically forced eBay to adopt a policy where whether one could buy media mail postage was limited whether an item was listed in a few media based categories, and not whether an item actually qualified for media mail or not. This is a big problem for some sellers, including myself, where I might list books that fully qualify for media mail outside of the general "books" category (role playing books are a good example of this, given they have their own eBay categories outside of "books".)

The only workaround is to use a third party provider like Pirate Ship. On the bright side, sellers really need a third party option available anyway, for when eBay's shipping system has a glitch or goes down.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply