cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New label doesn't allow USPS insurance

While shipping a package this morning, I came across this fiasco. The new shipping label page only allows the expensive ShipCover insurance; not the free $100 coverage provided with all USPS Priority and Express packages. I had to roll back to the old system to use it.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: New label doesn't allow USPS insurance

@rassilon007 wrote:

While shipping a package this morning, I came across this fiasco. The new shipping label page only allows the expensive ShipCover insurance; not the free $100 coverage provided with all USPS Priority and Express packages. I had to roll back to the old system to use it.

Because if your item sold for less than 100.00, then you already have the 100.00 USPS PM insurance(because you are TRS), so why would they need to offer or show it?

Haven't see the new label flow (and don't want to), but as you mentioned, the "classic" eBay label flow is same as always and USPS insurance is an option as always (just printed a label an hour ago).

I'd guess the what you say is a glitch, that they are tinkering with the new label page, and screwing it up along the way.

There has been no announcement or any rumors about removing USPS insurance (and might not even be USPS "legal" to not offer it as a postage provider), and it makes no sense to remove it...

... unless it's a really bad "Boss, if we remove USPS insurance options we can make another 1¢ per insured label from our cut of the ShipCover insurance. Our $10/day outsourced Customer Service can deal with the fallout" idea.

Sadly, I wouldn't doubt the above is possible based on past eBay behavior Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

If it's a glitch, it's still there as of this morning. There is no option to select USPS insurance on the new page, even with the $300 board game I sold recently. Fortunately, you can select the "classic" page for now, as I don't care for ShipCover.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Because if your item sold for less than 100.00, then you already have the 100.00 USPS PM insurance(because you are TRS), so why would they need to offer or show it? 

Your logic may be correct, but I tend to doubt that. In the past I've been denied insurance claims on USPS Priority packages because I failed to manually check the insurance box.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
Haven't see the new label flow (and don't want to), but ... I'd guess the what you say is a glitch, that they are tinkering with the new label page, and screwing it up along the way....

Many other features are also missing from the new streamlined label: Change shipping date, change "Ship from" ZIP Code, check off option to show listing number on label.  

Here's what you see if you check the insurance box on the new label form, regardless of which USPS service is chosen, but I checked First Class in order to address the theory that it's not shown because of the insurance included with Priority Mail.:

Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 6.33.38 PM.png

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I still have to believe that is a screwup - I don't see how they can force Shipcover as the only option and not offer USPS insurance (no idea what terms of Pitney Bowes or eBay contract with USPS as a postage provider are, but I'd think that offering USPS insurance would be a requirement).

If that is the way it's going to be, and they remove access to the classic label flow, I suspect a lot of sellers are going to jump ship on using eBay labels if insurance is an issue for them.
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

It happened to me today too.  I wanted to use USPS insurance for a $750 item because signature confirmation is free when you insure for that amount.  My only option was ShipCover and a separate charge for Signature Confirmation.  Fortunately, I was able to switch back to the old label view and get the USPS insurance for a cheaper price.  I would bet this is no error on ebay's part.  Of course they will try to shift you towards the option that makes them more money.  Even in the old view, ShipCover was always the default method shown.  This is no coincidence.  I wonder how long it will be before they remove the classic view option.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

What type of seller buys insurance?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I’ve read here that Sellers were able to switch back to the Classic site to print a label offering USPS Insurance rather than Shipcover.  How do yo do this?  I tried to figure it out and finally resorted to printing my label for a $350.00 item from my personal USPS account so I could have USPS Insurance coverage.  FYI it has nothing to do with the lower cost, it has to do with coverage! Read the terms of Shipcover Insurance and you’ll understand the significant risk of using Shipcover Insurance!

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@oldish-newish wrote:

I’ve read here that Sellers were able to switch back to the Classic site to print a label offering USPS Insurance rather than Shipcover.  How do yo do this? ...

There should be a link in the upper-right corner of the new label prep form that says "Go back to classic label printing."

Or you can print a label through Paypal and get the online rates:

www.paypal.com/shipnow

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Today on the classic veiw the drop down only gave me the shipcover not option on the usps. Is this a glitch or is ebay removing  the usps insurance option because it is cheaper?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Must be a glitch, because the  NEW label form is now offering USPS insurance!  But not if you're printing a postage label for Priority Mail for an item under $50.

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 7.19.11 PM.png

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

how do you find the old label view? I had the same issue. thanks
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

If you were denied a claim, it wasn't because you didn't check the insurance box (that's additional to the automatic insurance on PM), it's because you did not provide enough valid evidence of your claim. 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply