cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your advice with a new Buyer on eBay

Hello everyone, need an advice. I sold a brand new phone for Tmo network (mentioned in the title and description), the buyer wants to return it because he could not unlock it. I explained to him that Tmo policy is 40 days of use and then you can request an unlock code or use a third party unlocking company to get it done quicker. He is new to ebay and called my advice as hurdles and claimed the reason for the return as does not work or defective.  What are my chances if eBay steps in? I tried to offer him help but never heard back. Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Need your advice with a new Buyer on eBay

Did you explain all that in your listing? If not, the buyer would win a not as described case, and you would need to provide a return label.If Ebay has to step in, they will refund him, and you wont get your phone back, and will receive a defect.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@vaio-freak wrote:

What are my chances if eBay steps in?

None.

If you want the phone back before refunding, accept the return, pay return shipping and refund the buyer once something is returned.

If you don't and Ebay has to step in, they could refund buyer from your account and let them keep the phone.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you all for your quick responses. I was hoping for eBay to protect a seller but I guess that is not the case nowadays with eBay. I rarely dealt with returns in my ebay years since 2001 and now it looks like I am responsible for paying for his return shipping...

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

and now it looks like I am responsible for paying for his return shipping...

Yep, but don't refund until you receive the item and make sure it still works. 

If eBay issues the return shipping label they do not add any additional insurance to cover loss or damage. Priority Mail only includes insurance for the first $100

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You are not responsible for return shipping or anything if it is as described.  I'd let him file the case and then I'd call ebay. You can always choose to resolve as the other sellers say at any time, but I'd consult ebay first. They might close the case based on your listing and eBay messages or simply because he opened the packaging. Some items are not returnable if "used." Mine are not and buyers always lose return cases to me for that reason. Make sure it's clear he did something to alter it so it's not in the same condition you sent it in. You can take money off a return or refuse a return if it's not back in same condition you sent it in

A lot of sellers are quick to cave on buyers. If you are right, you don't have to. Talk to ebay first.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@vaio-freak wrote:

Thank you all for your quick responses. I was hoping for eBay to protect a seller but I guess that is not the case nowadays with eBay. I rarely dealt with returns in my ebay years since 2001 and now it looks like I am responsible for paying for his return shipping...

Well they are more apt to protect you if you provide all info.

I wouldn't have known that about the phone.......

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@tiqui1999 wrote:

You are not responsible for return shipping or anything if it is as described.  I'd let him file the case and then I'd call ebay. You can always choose to resolve as the other sellers say at any time, but I'd consult ebay first. They might close the case based on your listing and eBay messages or simply because he opened the packaging. Some items are not returnable if "used." Mine are not and buyers always lose return cases to me for that reason. Make sure it's clear he did something to alter it so it's not in the same condition you sent it in. You can take money off a return or refuse a return if it's not back in same condition you sent it in

A lot of sellers are quick to cave on buyers. If you are right, you don't have to. Talk to ebay first.

It's NOT as described though and the buyer did nothing to alter the phone.

Also the ability to take part of a refund off for INAD is not available.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply