cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My theory as to why USPS tracking is so inconsistent

Mind you, the following may be tongue-in-cheek, but it may also be scary-close to the truth:

1. USPS tracking runs on a 1960's mainframe computer.
  2. The tracking software is on a set of punch cards.
  3. The tracking-system supervisor, an avid poker player, insists the cards be shuffled frequently.
  4. The shuffling ensures that every postal customer gets their fair share of nonsensical tracking info.
  5. The supervisor's boss is out to lunch permanently, and is therefore unavailable for comment.

Example:

1. A few days ago I sent a package via USPS Priority Mail International to a buyer in Berlin, Germany.
  2. The buyer's address was correctly entered on the shipping label.
  3. The postal zip code in Berlin just happens to be the same as it is for Utica, NY -- 13505.
  4. When I checked the tracking this morning, it said the package was in transit to Utica, NY.
  5. QED
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: My theory as to why USPS tracking is so inconsistent

Well there is also a large international transit hub in Utica so it may well be on its way to Germany BY WAY of Utica.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Actually the tracking was updated later to indicate the package departed the US via Los Angeles International airport -- the same routing that I've had in past shipments to Germany, Belgium, Austria, and other European destinations. The erroneous update that showed the destination was Utica, NY was apparently a glitch caused by the Utica zip code being the same as the Berlin, Germany postal code.

It seems oddly incompetent that the address data which should have been retrieved by scanning the barcode was ignored and that someone -- or something -- read the zip code on the label only and ignored the words "BERLIN" and "GERMANY" which were in their proper places in the ship-to address.

While this incident turned out to be harmless, it nevertheless alarmed me when I saw the "in transit to Utica" update, since I know from past shipments to Europe that Utica was never in the routing at all. As I have also read many complaints about USPS tracking on this forum, as well as other online forums, I wish USPS would once and for all get its tracking act together. Those who scoff at these complaints should realize that acceptance of mediocrity only breeds more mediocrity.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@1avid_collector wrote:

When shipping items -- especially expensive items -- I follow the tracking so that I can intervene if the tracking indicates that a package is being misrouted. I do this because I care about my customers and want them to receive their purchases in a timely manner, not to "cover my butt". Got a problem with this?

I have never, ever had to intervene on a package that was misrouted.  In every case, it fixed itself and was delivered just fine without the need for me to do anything.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I have never, ever had to intervene on a package that was misrouted.  In every case, it fixed itself and was delivered just fine without the need for me to do anything.

And I would guess that those who do attempt to intervene don't actually accomplish anything.  Any "results" are likely pure coincidence.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

If you are having seemingly unresolvable problems with USPS services, you can contact your local USPS Consumer Affairs office and lodge your complaint(s). They have the ability to investigate issues and may be able to resolve a tracking and/or delivery problem with a specific shipment. Whether or not they can provide a satisfactory resolution to a specific shipment issue may vary from one case to another, but it's at least worth a try.

For contact info about your local USPS Consumer Affairs office, see the list here:

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2008/html/pb22225/html/kit_021.html

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

^^^^^  totally this!  That is how my aunt got the carrier to go back the house he misdelivered to and try to get the package back but the resident said she "didnt have it" so didnt work out.  But at least they tried!  They have been a bit more on the ball since that incident.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply