cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Mail - now unavailable

Sold a book last night. Went to print label this morning and Media Mail is now no longer an option.  Talked with e-bay and said there was an update last night. So, even though that was my shipping option and how it was listed - I was told, "tough luck" choose $7.40 Priority Envelope.  Couldn't get a straight answer if this is new or will it come back as an option?  Telling me I had to suck up $4 difference in shipping is unacceptable.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

In an effort to reduce the abuse of MM for ineligible items, eBay has decided to not offer MM as a label printing option when an item is listed in a category where items are generally not eligible for MM, such as Collectibles or Toys & Games.  So even though your D&D books that you sold yesterday are eligible, eBay isn't offering MM label purchase due to the category they're in.  The D&D book that you sold a few days earlier was listed in the Books category.

As noted above, you can purchase MM labels through PayPal, go to www.PayPal.com/shipnow

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

You can print a label through PayPal ship now.  You could also take it to the USPS for the same price.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Yes, I will be going to the post office. It's the fact that it was there less than 24 hours ago (I sold a book the day before) and now it's gone without warning. NOTE: While I knew I could take it to the USPS, the customer service did not mention it, but tried to persuade me that Priority Envelope option was best.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

In an effort to reduce the abuse of MM for ineligible items, eBay has decided to not offer MM as a label printing option when an item is listed in a category where items are generally not eligible for MM, such as Collectibles or Toys & Games.  So even though your D&D books that you sold yesterday are eligible, eBay isn't offering MM label purchase due to the category they're in.  The D&D book that you sold a few days earlier was listed in the Books category.

As noted above, you can purchase MM labels through PayPal, go to www.PayPal.com/shipnow

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Print the Media Mail label through Pirate Ship and you'll pay the lowest rate.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Print the Media Mail label through Pirate Ship and you'll pay the lowest rate.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Media Mail is still available as I printed multiple labels just today. 

The only time it is not available is if you have put it in a listing which is not in compliance with Media Mail rules. Example, a few weeks ago we had a KPOP CD set that we accidentally listed under "collectibles" category. When we went to print, Media Mail was not an option.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Yep, they have been jacking around with media mail making unavailable for no valid reason.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

Yep, they have been jacking around with media mail making unavailable for no valid reason.

MM abuse isn't a valid reason? Interesting.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@gstarkey 

The book has to be listed in a category that qualifies for Media Mail, and toys and hobbies doesn't qualify.

Have a great day.
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

That's why I called ebay, because you can't change the category after a sale, or at least I  couldn't figure out how to do it. The assistant didn't know, but told me as of 7 pm, PST, 28 Dec, there was a change to media mail. My thoughts are, If you can't select mm as an option in that category then it shouldn't be an option you (and buyer) can select. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Customer service likes to make things up. Posts about this change in access to MM labels started over a year ago.

eBay lets sellers select any USPS shipping option, even those that eBay doesn't sell labels for, including Retail Ground, First Class letters and flats (AKA Large envelope) etc.  Sellers can offer those options but have to purchase that postage elsewhere. Yes, the listing form could and should give sellers a heads-up about this when they select one of those methods.

As noted in this thread, you can purchase MM through ANY other postage seller.  Or list your eligible items in Books.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@teltuooutlet wrote: ... 

The only time it is not available is if you have put it in a listing which is not in compliance with Media Mail rules. ...

eBay's system of blocking access to MM based on the main category that an item is listed in is entirely eBay's choice, it's not because those items become "not in compliance" with USPS policies.  A CD is eligible for MM postage under USPS rules regardless of the category it is listed in.  eBay's crude policy  even blocks items that are in subcategories that are clearly eligible, such as the "Books" subcategory in Stamps.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

How did you resolve the problem. And I guess my biggest issues are - 1. Why then have it as an option for shipping (you can't use first class if an item weighs more than 16 ounces for example). 2. Why didn't the ebay assistant I spoke with give me a different explanation? Because I specifically asked was it because of the category and what can I do to fix it? I agree that is probably the reason - but how do you fix it? I did a "Sell one like it" option because it had the most bids versus other listings and it was also marked as media mail shipment. 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Easy way to stop it is to inspect suspicious packages - which is within their right. Also a reason I insure with mm in case it does get opened and not repackaged well.  I received an album recently marked media mail, but it was wrapped in a white plastic baggie.  I knew what it was, but it was actually in a large priority box and placed in the bag.  I avoid such packaging because the use of the box that way is (I believe) also prohibited.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply