cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May I propose a New Policy for Sellers? The ability to Block a buyer who abuses Return policy

Attention Sellers,

When was the last time you looked at the "Block Buyers Who..." requirements on your Site Preferences page? I don't think they've changed in many years. (I included the options at the end of this post and some of them are not even relevant anymore.)

I want ebay to add a new one: Block Buyers Who...  "Have returned [X] or more items in the past 60 days" (where X is the quantity of returns that each Seller thinks crosses the line of reasonableness.)

What do you think? Does this sound like a reasonable option? Can you think of a way to improve that language?

Like many sellers, I provided (mostly) Free Shipping and a 14-day return policy in the past and it was rare that I had to take back a return. In September I had to take back a pair of sandals from someone who returned them after she'd had them for about 28 days. She claimed they "didn't fit." I can't re-sell them in September. My business partner has had a couple of similar returns. I'm changing to a "No Returns" policy and no more Free Shipping which will hurt my already less-than-stellar sales.

I don't want to punish responsible buyers for returning something that doesn't work for them. But I don't want to clothe fashion bloggers and I don't want to sell to buyers who are too lazy to read a simple description or check the measurements I provide.

Retailers reserve the right to refuse service to people for various reasons. Ebay sellers deserve that same right.

Your constructive feedback please?

Current Block Buyer Preferences:

1. Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s)
  2. Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to
  3. Have a feedback score of -1 or lower
  4. 4. Are currently winning or have bought 4 of my items in the last 10 days and have a feedback score of 3 or lower
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: May I propose a New Policy for Sellers? The ability to Block a buyer who abuses Return policy

eBay should keep better track buyers who abuse returns. I hear Amazon does it now and I think it would help deter more buyers from doing it. I have no problem with returns when it's a valid reason, but I am noticing more buyers are taking advantage.

Peggy's Fashion Outlet
https://www.ebay.com/str/peggybeautyoutlet
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: May I propose a New Policy for Sellers? The ability to Block a buyer who abuses Return policy

Some buyers make numerous legitimate returns, but they end up making far too many because they buy from bad sellers. 

Unless a buyer just has an extreme streak of bad luck, buying from multiple sellers with good feedback probably wouldn't result in so many returns.

If you see a seller with 400 negatives, regardless of how many positives they have, one should consider the likelihood of having a smooth transaction with that seller. Other folks buy from large sellers with a 96%, and then act shocked when they have problems.

I see some who have the idea that if things go wrong they will just rely on eBay's MBG to save them, but wouldn't you rather not need saving? I guess not.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply