cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a rant as I'm just annoyed by cheapskate buyers

As a small seller it's hard to compete, but I have managed over the years.  It's not an easy task to determine your pricing and shipping  keeping in mind all the associated expenses involved.  I sell at the lowest price I can, and I do not offer free shipping as the majority of my items are fragile preowned collectible items.     One of the main reasons I separate the item price and shipping is that's it's  easier for me to run a markdown sale or accept an offer on the item's price, but I won't offer a discount on shipping too.   I don't think that most people consider the seller's total expenses in selling a item which is the one thing that truly annoys me with low ball offers.  Unless you don't care about making some smidgen of a profit it's not feasible to sell below your cost.

I always seek the most economical method to ship.   I usually avoid economy mail  with the exception of books because people will complain about having to wait for their parcels.   Light weight items can go by FCM.   However, I do use Priority for items 1 or more pounds.     I can understand that people are used to getting free shipping, but on some items it simply doesn't make sense.  Moreover, I depend on the assumption that people shop by total price.

I had an inquiry about shipping discounts on a listing where I have multiple items available and the listing was already set up  to offer discounted shipping for additional items.  I can use First Class Mail if they buy one,  but when they purchase more the total weight of the package pushes it to a pound and I have to use Priority Mail.  However, I still managed to reduce shipping by 20%  for additional items.

I was really annoyed when the buyer asked me to ship an 3 of these items First Class Mail for $5 when the package's shipping weight is two pounds and they are in zone 7.   I think my annoyance was greater because this was another eBay seller so they should know that it wasn't possible.   Especially since my item price was extremely low.   Moreover, sellers know that we pay final value fees on the shipping charge as well.  

Sometimes I feel like responding with snarky comments.   Usually I just tell these cheapskates that I can't sell below my cost.   Instead  with this buyer  I simply pointed out their ship to location and the shipping weight of the package.  I also told them that they could compare the total price of the item elsewhere.   Mine $15 versus others  $64.98.   I also suggested that they review the USPS shipping calculations for Zone 7 shipping rates.  What's really annoying is these cheapskate buyers usually never purchase.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Totally understand where are coming from. 

Just Decline the lowball offers. 

Repeat if necessary...lol

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I looked at your listings and noticed a couple things. You specify "Standard Shipping" on your items. If you use  Priority Mail on items over one pound, then you should advertise it as such since Priority Mail is Expedited Shipping (faster). Also, your shipping calculator calculates the same shipping cost no matter what zip code is entered (whether next door or across the country) so you are probably making quite a bit of profit on items shipped nearby or even to the West Coast. Finally, I'm sure you're aware of the Priority Flat Rate packages which can save a lot of money.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Most buyers have NO idea what shipping costs are so getting "het" up about their complaints is just a waste of time........I just say.........NO ONE hates high shipping more than I do, but you are paying what the PO would charge you........nothing I can do about their charges.

Granted, we get a bit of a cut in PO prices on some classes........but since most chose parcel select.....statement is true.....  Tho I do upgrade to priority and "make 14c" or so.....

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Don't be surprised when some EBay sellers ask for the impossible when they look to buy.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I use Standard on my listings for several reasons.  I don't specify a carrier so that I have the option of choosing  USPS,  Fedex, or UPS.   This is important for oversize heavy parcels going to the zones furthest away.   Second if you choose Standard the estimated delivery time is 1-5 days as opposed to Expedited 1-3 days which is better for the estimated delivery date and keeps their expectations down.  I found it rather annoying  that if I choose Expedited that buyers thought they would get the package in a couple of days despite my two day handling time.  I do use a Flat Rate  on my shipping as that is how I recover my handling expenses.  Meaning I can at least recover eBay/PayPal shipping fees that are charged.  

There really isn't any profit when you consider that  the materials used for packaging exceed the few pennies left over.  Even if you have a free box you still need to pay for your bubble wrap,  shipping peanuts,  tape, shipping Labels,  Fragile stickers,  and invoices/business cards. 

As an example, generally the average shipping amount I see on a First Class parcel  label is $3.18.  If I  charge 4.00 it will cover the  13% charges imposed by PayPal and eBay  for shipping, and a small fee which partially pays for my shipping materials. 

If I can use a Priority Mail Flat Rate Box to ship which will save money for the buyer I do as I want to minimize their shipping expenses too.

What I can't do is subsidize the buyer's shipping expense as my profit margin is already very low.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The best ones are the incredible low offers with a follow up message saying "hope you can accept". The item is the lowest priced with 20% off already and the offer I get is another 50% off. I try working with people, but this is not a charity.

Buyers send offers of $5 knowing the shipping alone will be $5... People can't be that clueless especially when they have hundreds of feedback...

Enough ranting for today....

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply